Agnostic.com

24 0

Ever dated a religious person

What did you like/dislike about being in a relationship with a religious person? How long did it last?

ClayMountain 3 Sep 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I dated a girl for about 6 months, even went to church. Her faith was very important to her so ultimately she couldn’t accept me as a non believer.

Same.

nope. never. i dated a libertarian once. my sister set me up. when i say once, i mean ONCE.

g

I dated a guy in 1987 for 8 months. Religion never came up. It ended when his ex-wife called me to tell me he was breaking up with me because they had been sleeping together that whole 8 months.(Christian) We came in contact again in 2012 when I was going through a breakup with my husband who cheated on me several times in our marriage. (Catholic). I don’t even know why I was stupid enough to even talk to the 1987 guy again. We were together 3 weeks. He looked at my FB profile and saw Atheist. He said he thought that would be a problem for him in the future. So I got dumped. Same day I got served divorce papers and I had carpal tunnel surgery the day before. That was a sucky week. I’ve had 5 long term relationships, all claimed to be religious. Pentecostal, Lutheran, 2 Christian and one catholic. All were cheaters. I didn’t cheat on any of them.

I've attempted it a few times. It's never lasted long.
It's always been more trouble than it's ever been worth.
Especially when they go back on their word, and start trying to
get you to convert to their way of thinking.
I will not be doing it again.

Same as dating a schizophrenic who believes he himself is god.

I have never been in a relationship with anyone who is 'religious'. Given a religion at birth yes. I have been married to a Jew and a Christian, neither were religious in their thoughts, beliefs or actions and they agreed with my anti religion view points.

More than once.

Never again.

was married to a christian for a couple of years, have in the past dated religious people. in short, it sucked. the bullshit hypocrisy always sucked, except for the one wiccan I dated, in which the constant "spirituality" around everything was annoying.

Yes, a Catholic, a Lutheran and a JW ( but that was not known to me until after we separated).
I consider that I had 3 very lucky escapes, especially with the catholic but ONLY after she discovered that I was an Atheist who was studying Theology and Comparative Modern Religions for the purpose of knowing more about religions than the religious practitioners do and to be able to debate with them using a greater knowledge than they possess.
I've been an Atheist since the first time I was EXPELLED from Sunday School aged 8 for asking questions that the Teacher deemed as being 'irrelevant,' unchristian and doubting the words of God.
From the age 8 years until I was 13 and at High School I was expelled from EVERY Sunday School and School Scripture Class because I insisted upon asking the question that no-one either wanted to answer or couldn't answer. I'm still an Atheist, Proud to be and will always remain so.

I dated a girl that wasn't very religious but her parents were and she didn't want to upset her parents so she would go to church. It was upsetting that she would feel guilty for dating me.

nope. my guy believes in a god in a generalized, hazy way. i can't even get him to tell me what kind of god it is. he thinks i'm taunting him when i ask. he should be home from shul any minute now; he went to the break-the-fast (tonight yom kippur ended). he wasn't supposed to fast, for health reasons, but he ended up doing so, so i hope he doesn't collapse. all that aside, he cannot actually be called religious. i would have gone with him but i am sick today. and yes, i am an atheist.

g

I married one. I love her very much. The only downside is at times having to edit my speech. So far we’ve been together 15 years. I dated a religious woman before (evangelical) and it lasted 6 months.

yup 20 years on and off and 3 children she was never in your face about it and i never mocked her so it was a non issue

There is no problem if (1) both genuinely care for each other and treat each other with full dignity and respect, and (2) both people acknowledge and respect each other's right to believe as he or she chooses. How long has it lasted? So far, over 25 years.

I fell in love with a religious girl over sixty years ago. I never stopped loving her. She dumped me. I cried all the way home that night.

I tried to. It was a big disappointment.

Never ever again. I used to be religious myself and only recently realized I've been been agnostic for decades.

Yeah but not for long. Years ago I did know this Mormon lady who was married but separated, she was mighty nice, I got excommunicated from that church before I ever began to understand it?

Yeah, last gf, 7 years. Right now I wish I would've either stuck with it and made the best of it, or ended our relationship a lot earlier so I could've started another one while in college...

I was the religious person. It was a disaster.

Yes. Too often when young. At 16 a pretty girl had me attend a tent revival. I knew nothing would be happening that night when she went weeping to the rail and praising Jeeezus.

Ya, I dated a born again Christian once. It was kinda a disaster.

Yes, not to mention that she ended up being antiscience. It ended quickly. Very hard to ever have a good discussion on anything.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:181366
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.