Agnostic.com

10 0

God doesn’t exist. Why or why not?

So I know this debate has been going on for centuries ever since someone who wasn’t Christian or Catholic said “I don’t believe in god” and the argument started. But I have want to hear where you have to say. I fully believe that god doesn’t exist. What’s your input on it?

Jackw_37 4 Sep 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Christian god cannot exist because it's ill-defined. They wanted to give it too many omni-properties, making it logically impossible (they also tried to backstep a bit during the centuries, for instance about its omnipotence). The only arguments about its existence (or the existence of any other god) is either from personal experience/anecdotal or philosophical (ontological, cosmological, teleological, moral, the Pascal's wager). Personal experiences and anecdotes cannot be replicated so they don't matter. Philosophical arguments have been logically destroyed over and over again.
Now, as an agnostic I say that there may be some kind of four dimensional being existing outside of our universe, able to look at it in its entirety (past, present and future) and maybe also change things here and there; maybe this entity is the one that wrote the simulation we're in, if that hypothesis is true. In any case, we don't seem to perceive what this entity does, if if does anything at all, so its existence is completely irrelevant to us - a bit like Jesus's.

Ubik Level 4 Sep 23, 2018

Occam's Razor

We happened... We were not created.

The non-existence of anything one might conjure up cannot be proven, but that's a far cry from believing in something without evidence. (see Bertrand Russell's celestial teapot).

rofl rofl you think this began with someone arguing with christianity or catholicism, two pretty new religions in the grand scheme of things? maybe i am misreading you there. i sure hope so.

my input is simple. there are no gods. there are no gods and there is no proof that there are, aren't, might or might not be gods, but the same holds true for (pardon my always bringing her up) the tooth fairy. i don't see anyone arguing about that. the difference is, no one is making enough money off the tooth fairy to care. (she does still owe me a quarter.) you can substitute any nonexistent thingie you like here. you understand logically that it is unlikely to the point of impossibility that there is a tooth fairy. the same it true of god. that's not proof but who cares? it's rational, and thinking otherwise is irrational.

g

The question would be what evidence is there for his existence? None that I know of.

I’ll keep this simple. It just doesn’t matter.
If god does exist he did a really bad job at designing. Yes I said he. A woman wouldn’t have fucked up as much.

i have always said this unatheistic-sounding thing, just to be snarky, when people refer to god as "she": if god were a woman, men would menstruate.

g

@genessa hahahahaha
So true

Your question is why or why not does god exist. I'll answer with another question. What does it matter? He does not seem to do anything.

Believers look at "signs" (wishes granted, good luck happening to them) that their invisible god exists. They use their biased, subjective interpretations as evidence but they just see what they want to see.

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?” – Epicurus, ancient Greek philosopher

Literal God doesn't exist because we have found zero evidence to support the idea, AND we have found tons of evidence to suggest that such a belief confers evolutionary advantages, so we pretty much do know where the notion comes from.

Metaphorical God, on the other hand, most undeniably does exist, and there is reason to believe that that is how the ancients may have perceived God rather than in the literal way that we have assumed since the 17th century.

skado Level 9 Sep 19, 2018

Gotta explain them thunders, earthquakes, and random bright lights in the sky somehow.

LOL! You must be a new atheist.
Most members know there's no god and are tired of discussing it.

By the way, this website has a bit of a learning curve, so here's some info, in case you need it.

For members who are open to dating, certain thumbnails and profiles have a heart symbol on them with a percentage. This identifies which members are open to dating, and the percent shows approximately how compatible others are with them.

You gain website points by answering all the profile questions and writing a bio, which also earns website points, and helps other members get to know you.

Commenting on posts and writing your own posts earns more points. At level two you can private message people, and at level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

If you want to date, the website uses profile algorithms to find member matches, so the more details one includes, the better the match.

Many people prefer to see a written profile talking about interests, hobbies, and backgrounds that can be quickly perused to find others with similar interests..

In case you didn't know yet, to find members near you, click on the "Browse" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Click on the "Discuss" button, then "Nearby" to find members near you also.
Or click on the "About" button at the top left of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.
Points are now being given to level 3+ members who chat. You can see chat rooms on the group main page or at [agnostic.com].

That’s not what I asked for but ok.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:182635
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.