Agnostic.com

8 0

What do you really believe.

As an Atheist the reference to god or satin or any mythology of devine reference or origin.is not only a mute point but should not have any weight giving way to logic and reason instead of emotional leftovers I do give way to the Hero’s journey as long as a devine entity is not part of the story. So why does god come up so often and since when does the burden of proof that there are no gods fall on us.

brainrain 4 Sep 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You appear to have aroused the satin-worshipers! The silk wars are nigh!

I think "god" is our default software. We created gods as soon as we became conscious, and looked to them to bring order to a world that was otherwise chaotic and threatening. Even later when our brains evolved to reason, they didn't do away with our irrational thoughts, they just added more brain matter on top and left us to fight it out. Evolution is slow, and works over time, so it'll be a while before we've left the gods behind.

I don't believe anything. I am not a believer. I base my opinions and decisions on what I know proven facts or the correct history,science,physics. I let those who won't to base there's on belief do so,believe what ever it is you believe. There are so many different beliefs it is easy to choose the wrong one. I will stick with the facts.

I concur. I'm so tired of the believers of this world. Why do they believe? Is it lack of education? I used to work in a church and found out all the ins and outs of that world. Most of the congregants were total hypocrites, as was I honestly. They were just on an ego trip believing that believing made them better than anyone else so they square their shoulders pull down their lapels and walk into the narthex like they were walking into their own palace. Vanity, greed, ego, call it what you will but I know this is what it is all about, they will be the first in line at the golden gates because they believe they deserve it.

in what context are you saying god comes up so often? here? we talk about this stuff here for a number of reasons but one of them is that elsewhere we keep butting up against it. we don't just encounter people who believe in gods. we encounter people who want to legislate religion, usually christianity, and force nonbelievers to go along with it. we encounter people trying to convert us or frighten us into behaving as they do, or shunning us in situations where we have needs not being met (wild example: if instead of refusing to bake cakes for gays, that cake shop owner refused to bake cakes for atheists, or jews, or muslims, or druids). we live in the world we live in and we can't ignore the fact that there are religionists out there and they interfere with our lives in ways they shouldn't.

g

You don't have to have the burden of proofing, it is the way to approach the topic and wording it. Jow a days, I avoid getting myself in religious conversation. When I did, I would question them back and the answers would be so contradicting and nonsense that I would be the one in peace with my answer at the end of the conversation.

All hail Satin! The smoothest of fabrics.

I avoid religious people and if they bring it up, I act bored, mumble, "Um-hum..that's nice," and wander off. No reason to argue with wing nut people.

The burden of proof is on the one making a claim. If you say "there is a God" the burden of proof is on you. If you say "there is no God" the burden of proof is also on you. If you say "I don't believe there is a God" there really is no burden of proof because all you say is that you don't believe. The same goes for "I believe there is a God". The discussion might continue and somebody asks "Why do you believe that?" Any reason you give you must be able to justify. When it comes to not believing in something, that is easy when there is no evidence but giving reasons for believing something without evidence you better have some good reasons. Who else but the person who believes should be the one providing those reasons? That's the burden of proof they have that non-believers don't have.

Dietl Level 7 Sep 20, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:183066
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.