Agnostic.com

24 5

Extreme travel?

Would you take a trip somewhere that pushed you to your limits, assuming normal constraints like time and money weren't an issue? I would love to take a trip to the moon. What an experience that would be. Staying on Earth, the North or South Poles would be fascinating to visit. I guess I am more interested in seeing extreme nature rather than human creations.

BoingoOingo42 7 Sep 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Does Cleveland count? ?

yes

Once sat on a bus needinga pee for 3 hours ...that was extreme !!

Stopped dreaming about it and bought the boat. Finishing the refit now. This time next year could be anywhere.

There is a show on Netflix called "Dark Tourism". It is FANTASTIC! I would love to visit everywhere he goes!

I was just in Iceland in early June. There's nothing but lava rocks covered with moss and snow/ice 800 feet above sea level. I would like to see the Andes.

I will second your appreciation of Iceland. I visited the SE ice fields in July as part of a school trip. I had my 18th birthday as the ferry left Reykjavik - a day remembered for the extreme diarrhoea from eating their national dish of dried fish the night before and the extreme hangover resulting from duty free bar prices, lack of celebratory company and lack of maturity in people knowledge.

@FrayedBear did you eat the fermented shark. Totally disgusting.

@ADKSparky No. I just bought a packet of wind dried cod - they hang it on barbed wire to dry in the sun and wind, boiled it at the Reykjavik youth hostel and ate it.
I did have smoked mutton casserole which was delicious but I was burping smoky flavour for about two days and my indigestion was not good and that was in the days of a young working digestive system.

Djupavik, Iceland

@ADKSparky That is where you went? I'm curious as to what you did there and what do the residents do? Did you fly in or drive?

@ADKSparky I've just tried to refresh my memory from the map but it is so long ago. I suspect that we camped and walked in the area north of Vik. Most of our three-week stay was under canvas on the snowfields. The journey there from Reykjavik was fascinating in a 4wd bus. The scenery astonishing, one minute a valley floor of volcanic tuff looking like best quality furnace coke that the river cuts a new track through each year hence no bridges then a beautiful highland style valley of heather and native flowers sweetly blooming. Fond memories and wonderment as to how I managed to afford it.

@FrayedBear We flew into Reykjavik and spent a few days there. Then drove 5 hours to Djupavik for a wedding. The last 2 hours of the drive was on a dirt road. We used Nordic Visitor to lay out a tour back to Reykjavik that took 7 days. We stayed at hotels along the western Fiords.

@ADKSparky That sounds great. I remember a lot of the roads are unsealed because they wash away each year and because of river bed change also have to move.
The strangest coincidence I have is that my second landlady who has my old Vardi parked in her paddock has a sister who married an Icelander and has lived there many years. She works at Reykjavik airport. Quite a change of climate from our 40°C + summers and snowless winters.

Were heading for New Zealand. Tasmania, and a cruise to Antarctica thrown in. We depart in three weeks

I'm sure that you will see much scenically to remember. If it is the season and you have spare time I will see if a mate can arrange several days trout fishing at a club lake in Tasmania.

Message me if interested.

Riding motorcycles off-road is my jam. Can be very tough on the body but I get to see things few others ever see.

Digit Level 3 Sep 24, 2018

Yep I have the bug...usually if there are animals...but another planet would be cool because this one isnt doing well...

lerlo Level 8 Sep 24, 2018

No, thank you. That is not my idea of a vacation.
You have fun though.

Send me to the beach! LOL!

@IAMGROOT Yeah, that's much more what I have in mind when planning a vacation.

Yes, Yes to all of it. I want to see it all.

I might have when I was younger, but not any more.

Some of the most exhilarating and beautiful places to visit would probably be the most dangerous. Jungles, frigid cold Alaskan or Antarctic lands, the deepest parts of the sea, etc. I wouldn't mind checking out SOME places lol. Jungles don't seem like a good time to me. Traveling around on ice doesn't seem like a good time to me either. It all seems too stressful, although I'm sure it's beautiful.

Traveling in space has another problem unless it's a one way ticket, and that is that if you travel light years away from Earth then when you come back to Earth, more time will have passed on Earth than for you because of relativity.

For example: "It would take 100,000 years to cross the Milky Way at the speed of light but it is impossible to reach that speed. If someone could travel at 99% the speed of light it would take about 101,000 years on earth to watch that travel but for the person on the spaceship it will last only 14,000 years."

Yeah sure, would need to lose a few years as well to make it viable but yes indeed 🙂

Back in the early 1980’s I worked in Alaska along the Susitna River. The only way in or out was by float plane or helicopter. What an adventure in the wilderness.

I'd be willing to take that one way trip to the moon or mars.

Angus Level 5 Sep 25, 2018

I'm going to Maine to see if I can still climb small mountains in Acadia national park then on a windjammer cruise Alone. I'm sort of looking forward to the solitude, I'm taking the sketch book and camera. One more check off the bucket list. I've been writing

Several years ago my family (led by my brother's Vietnamese wife) took a month long trip to Viet Nam. We were on our own and were not part of a travel group. We saw and experienced things most people do not. It was both scary and beautiful. After that trip my late partner said she no longer wanted to go to India. She had a preview in Nam and that was enough!!

I once got enthusiastic about taking my daughter to India after seeing the panoramic shots of the Himalayas in "Passage to India"
passage to India film - Bing [bing.com]
But then I thought about Ghandi's curse, the streets smelling of urine, the noise and the sheer number of people. So I went looking for films made by people who did it nd watched the movies in the comfort of my home overlooking the inland sea lake that I used to live alongside and look down to and across.

I have always believed that the deep ocean is a much more inhospitable place (for human life) than outer space. Given a man in a suit - we have and continue to do "space walks", yet we can only go down about 100 m (330 ft) and that is using Trimix. I will admit to being shaded more towards this point of view reading Shadow Divers about shipwreck divers especially those who dive around 200 ft or so.

Reading Krakauer's Into Thin Air was a good explanation of the limits and difficulties of summiting Everest and represents the other extreme of human exploration. (I still like one of the very first lines in the book. As he is flying into Katmandu at 30,000 ft in a jet liner, he realizes that summiting Everest is equivalent to stepping out of the airplane and onto the wing. Gave me a real appreciation of what is involved in the effort.

I admit that doesn't answer the question. Of the two extremes, I currently like to think I would like to try perhaps a deep shipwreck dive (The Andrea Doria for example is considered almost like the Everest of deep dives.) So if time, money is no object - that would be one trip that would certainly push my limits that I would love to try.

A more realistic goal would probably be spending a summer cycling the iconic cycling climbs in Europe on my road bike as part of a cycling tour.

I spent my young and middle adulthood doing extreme travel and work. Geology in the Mexican outback, extended solo bicycle rides in foreign countries, archaeology in remotes remote parts of the U.S., working on multiple indian reservations, just to name a few. Wouldn't trade the experiences for the world.

NO, but wouldn't mind if I were safe and warm in some vehicle during the trip. Not into suffering, however.

I want to be in a micro-gravity environment for a few days.

I have long wanted to see Machu Picchu, but I think too many others also do and it is fairly crowded now. Maybe one of the lesser known ancient sites.
One of rivers would also be fascinating. The River of Doubt recounts Theodore Roosevelt's and others expedition of one. It is very well told and at times harrowing. I would of course want to be well equipped for such a journey and have the best guides.
And some of the animals I might encounter make me cringe and slightly terrified. Especially piranha...shudder.
But there are Pink river dolphins. Pink. River Dolphins.

If I was healthier I would have signed up for the one-way trip to Mars. Yes, I would probably die there, but it would be a history making endeavour.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:186230
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.