Agnostic.com

45 12

If you were asked to teach a class of your choosing, what would the subject matter be?

What expertise do you have? And, whom would you teach to?

I would love to teach creative writing to teens. Healthy cooking would be fun too.

silvereyes 8 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

45 comments (26 - 45)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would love to teach a comparitive literature class contrasting Proust's "À la recherche du temps perdu" with Adams' "The Education of Henry Adams." The similar third person autobiography combined with the contrast of post Napoleon III France and post Civil War America were a great intellectual awakening for me when I read the books simultaneously over a summer and it is an excercize I'd love to share with a new generation.

Religious history.

College level English.

Don't know what I could teach. Tried that. It turned into a cult. Not particularly willing to set the way back-machine.

Oh that’s hard but I’d love to teach a regular choir or like a class on how to be a respectful person. Those both would make me enjoy teaching.

I was a Trainer in the HR Dept. of a major aerospace firm before I retired, and the funnest thing I taught was a Business Writing class. I designed the class myself and had good demand and responses to it. That was very rewarding.

Funny you should ask. I was once hired to teach basic applied electronics (I received my degree from Cameron College - ever heard of them silvereyes). I discovered I was a terrible teacher.

However, after joining ZPG and learning about the issues I became a very good teacher. I spoke to kindergartners to college kids. ZPG had a ton of activities and they were fun and enlightening. Being passionate about something is the biggest motivator to teach. Here is a link to a video that got me started: Learn world history in 6 minutes [worldpopulationhistory.org]
Here is one I did a lot with elementary school kids: [populationeducation.org]

@silvereyes What kind of Okie are you (actually my daughter is an Okie)? Cameron is in Lawton. That's why we moved there, to go to college.

I am sure he is a better teacher than I was!

@silvereyes So what should we call you "stuck in Okieland"? (no don't tell me).

Can I like and answer this question 1000 times more? I would love to teach a history of metal music course. It's so weirdly rich.

Common sense and chivalry not always, a lot of time they go hand in hand.

infanticide or suicide depending on how it went lol

I hope you mean in preventative measures as I assume you do.

depends on the class lol

Partnered dancing because is more practical to all than any sport or any other art. I went to college to be a teacher and early on I realized I didn't wanted to be a teacher. So I got me a real job after I got tired of the fun. I had done some form of dance since I was 6? I almost start training to become a partnered dance teacher when I moved to Jacksonville FL but got me a real job. I had being in a relationship of some sort for over 16 years with a Professional Ballroom Dancer... We had done all kind of dance things together... when she have dance parties and dinner parties were she gig as a dance teacher to spice things up and I was her ringer. Did demonstrations with her. I may had taken some of her group classes like 150 times by now. I can teach someone who knows nothing about salsa to get that person started and moving in the right beat. I had seen the best at work performing miracles... and now my son is a dancer with "Sin City Salseros"... In case I need to call in the cavalry, My son is good and all started with GF taking him at 15 to her group classes and when you are 15 and you are dancing with a 22 year woman... a light bulb will light up in your head of what you want to do the rest of your life. Yep, Partnered Dancing to elementary school students to remove the stigma of opposite sex failing to learn to interact with each other until is too late. That will put websites like this out of business. If You ever need dance lessons in the Baltimore/DC area... Let me know I can give you her details. You won't find a more experience teacher/choreographer. She is great on first dance choreography, able to slow down the music to fit your ability. We gonna do some Latin Hustle today.

Horticultural therapy. I've used it with great success in dealing with bereavement.

Political science or history to point out how we might improve our current situation. Majored in political sci and history minored in German & geology worked as manufacturing engineer for GE ,chemical engineer for Texaco and spent the last 26 years in insurance management and as a agent . I also worked in local politics. I also was a microwave radio & radar technician in the Marine Corps which also qualified as a minor for college credit. I would have liked to teach at a college level in either one of my majors but also was a big brother to a family of three for six years and we had a lot of teaching going on there.

Classroom instruction? A science of some sort. I’d probably be qualified to teach any high school science class, some college level. I’d want time to prepare and review, of course. Various geology, geography, biology, chemistry, physics courses. I’m in no way worthy of research professor at university level, but understanding and teaching is not an issue if the student is willing to learn the subject and how to think for themselves. I’ll stay away from teaching maths. People drive me absolutely insane when they don’t understand maths. I’d never do that to myself. Well, maybe if I could smoke. Whatever math is involved with the instruction of the science course is fine. Don’t know that I’d really want to teach, though.

Since my new interests into Ketogenic and all the wonderful health benefit that go along with a low carb diet, I would, and do, try to educate people to the fact we have been lied to for over 50 years. The health we have in our country and around the world is failing because people have been duped into believing that Saturated fat is unhealthy.

A close second would be history. Gotta love history.

Naturopathic Medicine

I would like to teach people how to work with their hands. It's rare for schools to do that anymore unless you go to a trade school.

I believe everyone should be able to do at least some practical home repairs. Everyone should know how to change a flat tire too.

It's surprising how many people can easily do some of these things if they just tried.

I would also like to teach ethics and morality courses to the military or police units

Transhumanism and the effects of the exponential growth of technology in the near future which will lead to our immortality.

History of the replication of reality--- artwork-writing-scupltures-printing-photography-telephone-phonograph-moving picture-radio-television-PC's-home video-internet-DVD-cellphone media augmented reality-- with subtopics-- B&W, sound, color, Stereo, 3-D- What is the future? Why does humanity have this desire?? Movies that relate--"Brainstorm" (1982) "Total Recall" (1990) "Ex Machina" (2014)--- personal experience--- I wrote a paper on this?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19336
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.