Agnostic.com

33 8

Atheist political party

What are the chances of an atheist winning a major election with a plank in the platform being the further separation of church and state.. no funding of separate school boards, cancel church tax breaks, etc.?

Davekp 8 Oct 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Think in some countries it would go a long way...in the US not-so-much. The US isn't quite there yet culturally that people could accept that

In the U.S.? Not a chance! A candidate has to pretend to be 'religious', and have a 'nuclear' style family, in order to get elected. An attractive spouse, and 'cute' kids helps!

One could only hope but presented in the right manner it might just fly with all the negative stuff about the catholic church.

I think it could be a future possibility and I would venture to say even a certainty once third parties are viable and fully recognized and established entities in the United States.

As for the tax breaks for all nonprofits and charities. They would have to be audited regularly and only allowed a reasonable overhead. No profit no huge pay scale

Depends on the election and region and timing. In the US Presidential election Trump was a joke and huge underdog, but Clinton ran one of the worst campaigns in history and the Russian interference edged her out. He would have lost 99% of the races he ever would have been in.

Building an ideology around atheism alone is a huge mistake. Rejecting religion alone is not a a sufficient basis for either a moral code, or a political ideology.

For any success with this at all you would drop the word "atheist" in favor of agnostic.

I think "Humanist" would be more palatable to most people.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:194141
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.