Agnostic.com

20 18

I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.

Mark Twain

Scorpio_gurl 6 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don’t fear death as such, more the process. My mother is an evangelical Christian so that’s a hard convo ?

LCLC Level 3 June 22, 2018

I don’t fear death as such, more the process. My mother is an evangelical Christian so that’s a hard convo ?

LCLC Level 3 June 22, 2018

Well that sure is a different perspective. I like it, alot!!!

"Look back now and consider how the bygone ages of eternity that elapsed before our birth were nothing to us. Here, then, is a mirror in which nature shows us the time to come after our death. Do you see anything fearful in it?"

(Lucretius, De rerum natura bk III, vv. 972-75 between 99/55BC)

The Symmetry Argument

cava Level 7 Jan 31, 2018

Well...there was nothing to fear before I was born, so I’m guessing death is also nothing to be afraid of. It’ll be like being asleep and not dreaming like every night when we all go to sleep and lose consciousness then resurrect in the morning when we gain consciousness.

Geology = Astronomy = Reality = Atheism = Huck Finn = I'll go to hell then rather than turn Nigga Jim into xian bounty hunters

Ummm.... I don't know if I was dead before being born. I just don't know.

When death comes I will be in the same state as I was before birth. So nothing to fear there! Mark Twain had it right.

One of my favorite quotes.

I do not fear death, but I find the human story fascinating and would like to watch it unfold across time. 80 years if I am lucky seems like a minute amount of time in the span of history.

This quote terrified me... 😟

After I read "Letters from Earth", I considered Twain an atheist.

jeffy Level 7 Jan 30, 2018

I dunno. Since energy can't be destroyed or created, we've always existed and will always exist. People who remember past lives, including my youngest sister and I, know life is an illusion and that we're just taking parts in various scenarios.

"For physicists, the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." -Einstein

Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) was equivocal about the existence of God. He wrote a very irreverent story titled Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden which is quite funny. He often made fun of evangelical charlatan's of his day.

Are you referring to the diaries of adam and eve? Great stuff.

Have you read "The Mysterious Stranger"?

@Chephren thanks for the correction on the title. I grew up in Philadelphia which has a free library. I started taking out books when I was 12. The Mysterious Stranger was one of those stories I read back then.

LOL...this is similar to the reason I don't have an excessive fear of death. If I'm not afraid of 1899, why should I be afraid of 2099?

Samuel Clemens was trying to break down his pen name what I came up with was this Mark or to stay Twain was a word for being inebriated .

I had understood from a biographical sketch that he took his name from a riverboat expression. When the river bottom was uncertain, a lead line would be used to determine the water's depth. The line was marked at high and low points. When line showed the depth of the water between the two marks, the call would be given as "mark twain" to indicate that the water depth was safe for passage of the boat.

@Dwight He was a unsuccessful gold prospect long before the river boat. I will try to find where I located it before , will have to check in the morning kindle is good for some things not searching though.

@azzow2 he grew up in a riverboat town. Just hanging out by the docks may have been enough to pick up the jatgon. He did have a keen interest in language.

@Dwight [theatlantic.com]

@azzow2 Thanks, I needed that. I have always been a fan of his works , even though his writing style is quite variable. The drinking may play a part in that as well. I have visited Hannibal, Missouri where the myth is certainly greater than the man. I have also been to visit his Hartford, Connecticut home. Now. I know a little more. Thanks for putting this here.

@Dwight he wrote many books in his summer New York gazebo

@GreenAtheist Yes, I think the house is open for tours, I have never been there, but hope to go someday

Mark Twain — 'Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.'

Hmmmm.... that's interesting. I die every night and I'm reborn when I wake up... That's how easy that is.

Samuel Clemens and Will Rogers had a way of saying truths as images.

Love the Twain. My favorite goes something like "If you always tell the truth you don't have to remember what you said.

My memory is so bad now I always tell the truth, not even little white lies.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19474
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.