Agnostic.com

46 8

Would You Be Ok With Your Child Choosing To Be a Believer?

Lets say you are a Non Believer and a Parent.
If your Teenage or Adult child chooses to follow a Religion,
Please tell me how you would Cope with this.

Since I don't have kids, I often wonder how parents in this situation handle situations like this.

Would Belief or Non Belief differences effect your relationship with your child and if so how?

twshield 8 Jan 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

46 comments (26 - 46)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would talk to them and show them what i know... after that... they'll change later down the road because I preprogrammed them with knowledge of truth and not superstitious fairy tails.

Help them to understand what their choices are and what they mean. Then let them decide.
There is nothing stopping them from changing their mind later if they choose to do so.

I feel uncomfortable asking my 29 year old daughter who still lives at home about her belief or non belief .She is aware of my non belief and I let her know my views on the subject . She knows that I go on this site and we discuss some of the posts

"She knows that I go on this site." You make it sound like you're hiding being a smoker. 😛

My daughter has never believed. She finds it all quite laughable. If she ever gave into brainwashing, I would talk to her. As long as she's not bringing harm to herself, I'll respect her choices in life.

Marz Level 7 Feb 13, 2018

I'd keep the household environment secular, but if my son/daughter were to take an interest in a particular religion, I wouldn't be opposed to them learning about it.

To each his own!

What is a child? Oh. One of those. Sorry.

i have no kids but i would not be a fan of it. not sure how I would handle it other than telling them to choose a fake region or family LOL

I would have to break them on the wheel. 😉

My children are believers because of their mother (my ex). They are not dogmatic about it and have level heads. I'd like to think they got their common sense from me.

If I was a parent, absolutely I would. As long as they are happy, but stay in touch with reality and not lose it’s grip.

Unfortunately being religious & staying in touch with reality don't usually mix.

It is their choice, but they should know to leave me out of it. I am not getting up on Sunday to take you to church either so please find a ride.

I don't have kids, and this is another reason I'm glad I don't.
I honestly have no idea what I'd do in the scenario you suggested.

You should know people don't choose to believe or not believe in god...

It's his choice. I do not think atheist parents will worry too much on this like the religious parents.

Well, seeing as she has been addicted to alcohol, cocaine, child abuse, and violence for years, it would be a refreshing improvement!

@twshield nope...have not seen or heard from her at least 5 years now.....nice, peaceful years.
Since she is in her 50's , probably only religion can "save" her

I think you need to be careful here,being a believer is not to be some sort of sub human, it should not matter

, Shylock protests in William Shakespeares play merchant of Venice

" Doesn’t a Jew have eyes? Doesn’t a Jew have hands, bodily organs, a human shape, five senses, feelings, and passions? Doesn’t a Jew eat the same food, get hurt with the same weapons, get sick with the same diseases, get healed by the same medicine, and warm up in summer and cool off in winter just like a Christian? If you prick us with a pin, don’t we bleed? If you tickle us, don’t we laugh? If you poison us, don’t we die? And if you treat us badly, won’t we try to get revenge? If we’re like you in everything else, we’ll resemble you in that respect."

Well a few of my children presently still do. . . Being very controlled by their grandmother, who through lies took my children away. . . And any time I get to see them I basically give them so many questions they can't answer that they go away a little more skeptical each time. It won't last and I just keep loving them and educating them. I don't mind; they can dress how they want and they can think how they want. Doesn't mean I won't makes them feel very stupid for their choices though. . . Tough love.

Better than a Beliber.

Oh! oh! I never really thought of this as its hypothetical and my children are 49 and 50y.o and havent had a god yet. If it ever had happened 'hypothetically', I hope that I would have the courage to, not appease, nor stay away! I don't think anyone religious needs to proseletyse constantly, so hopefully we could still do all the same walking and canal journeys etc.

My daughter is a christian and I love her with all my heart. By showing her respect for her beliefs, she has and shows respect for my beliefs and others beliefs as well. I may not be the best dad, but I have a great daughter. In this way, I'm a lucky man.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19611
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.