Agnostic.com

22 4

Are the Millenials right and we judge them too harshly?

Violent crime is lower than anytime in my life. I could never have imagined the acceptance of LGBTQ people that we have now when I was young. Is there a chance that this generation has it right and we had it wrong? Just asking questions. . .

EricTrommater 9 Jan 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I find millennials to be overtly jaded, cynical, distrustful of authority, and resistant to the message of their elders and the establishment. By God they may save humanity, yet!

[Sorry] for the expression.

I've never understood the tendency to try to generalize or place blame on a generation.

No one chooses when they were born.
No one chooses the color of their skin.
No one chooses their sexuality.
No one chooses their gender.

Although some may argue the last two points, my perspective is that divisiveness among the human race isn't in anyone's best interest except for the few who wield the most power.

We have access to endless knowledge at our finger tips, and the ability to connect with people from cultures that we never have before.

If society rejects fear, embraces critical thinking & empathy, it's difficult to imagine a world where war will happen again.

Rossi Level 4 Jan 30, 2018

Every new generation is viewed as the worst. They're not. Every new generation thinks what they discovered or created is unprecedented. It's not. The only real difference I can think of is the extent to which they use and are used to technology. What I think is the biggest change is caused by people my age. We are fucking up the environment, destroying the middle class by redistributing the wealth to the already wealthy and corroding away our political ideals. The millenials should be mad at us!

I'm not sure how much we can attribute specifically to the monolithic "millennials" — good or bad. I think times change, and positive change is possible, but how much can we lay at the feet of 20- and 30-somethings for such progress? Race relations have, in my view, taken a huge step backward in recent years, in some ways, but I don't saddle millennials with that either. I think the praise and blame for social change belongs to all of society, not any particular cross section.

We are also much less religious than the earlier generations.

I don't know, but their political views give me hope for the future, if we don't cause too much damage before then.

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

? Socrates

@icolan At least, supposedly, Kennety Freeman was summarizing the comments of ancients about their younger generations.

I'm proud of them, actually.

Link: 20% of millennials identify as LGBTQ, according to new GLAAD study
[huffingtonpost.com]

Yes we do..and yes they are..

I embrace the millennials. They are a fabulous generation with so much potential and they're already changing business and education. Yes, there are whiny, petulant, brats who think the world owes them something, but that can be said of any generation. Just because they don't want to follow our footsteps through years of struggle doesn't make their methods less valid. I'm envious of their opportunities and non-linear thinking at times. I can't wait to see how our world changes in the next few decades.

I certainly don't judge them. It was another generation that mortgaged the future and they're going to be stuck paying for it.

It doesn't mater. The young win, they always win, 100% of the time. There is nothing any one can do about that.

I don't mean to sound harsh, that's just the way the of the world. I think I'm better off having reconciled myself to that fact lol

A lot of my grand kids are millenials and I am proud of them. They are paying attention to what is going on in the world, and they vote. And yes, they are very accepting of LGBT people. I know it is a small sample, but I am impressed with them and their friends.

Every generation feels they are harshly judged by the ones who came before them.
They're usually right. Some people don't deal with changing times very well. It's a tale
as old as humanity.

In a word yes

I'm a Millennial.

It's the 'Silent Generation' people I've had the most trouble with, it's their attitude 'we won the war so we are the best and we deserve everything'

and one said to me, 'just walk into a company, any large company, and they WILL hire you', I don't know what's wrong with people today.

I've seen plenty of hateful, lazy, idiotic people in my generation. Alternatively, I've seen plenty of motivated, loving, and brilliant people in my generation. Articles that complain about milennials almost always use specific examples instead of hard statistics. And trust me- when my generation gets older, we're gonna complain about the younger generation too. It's practically tradition.

Seems like a lot of young people spend a lot more time in the video game world, could be they are satisfying their aggression on killing evil avatars.

As apposed to our generation which, statistically speaking, spent much more time killing each other.

@EricTrommater Today they just pull the phone out of their pocket instant bad guy death. We had to go to the pizza shop or our friends house that had a videogame consol, just think of all the trouble you could find on the way.

Some things yes, some things no and I do not judge them at all.

I'm pretty impressed with the Millennials but if they keep texting while doing whatever else they are doing they will ruin their brains and probably everything else.

They got trump... that is my final answer. Happened in their watch.

By that mesure The Boomers elected Nixon twice. Once in a landslide.

@EricTrommater My only concern is the here and now. Whatever nixon is doing, not bothering anyone now. But your question was about millenials and judgement. Don't change the question when the answer do not fit your agenda.

@GipsyOfNewSpain that made no sense. Read it twice. Total word salad.

They don't make up the majority of the electorate and went heavily in Clinton's direction as a demographic group. Really?

@IntellectualRN I reckon you have no concept of the electoral college. Is not how much you win... is where you win.

@GipsyOfNewSpain You are so frustrating. You make statements that have no bearing on the subject at hand. The original post pertains to a particular demographic group, a group that heavily sided with Clinton. Then you imply that the election of Trump was on their watch when they are only a small part of the total electorate of the United States. Then you bring the electoral system into the discussion which makes zero sense unless you're suggesting that millennials are somehow responsible for Trump winning in the handful of states that tipped the electoral map in his favor. What's worse is that you spew this nonsense in a condescending manner. "I reckon you have no concept of the electoral college." I think our posts on the matter speak volumes on where the knowledge deficit lies.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19738
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.