Agnostic.com

13 8

QUESTION Britons View Atheists As More Moral Than Believers, Religion More Harmful Than Good

“Religious institutions themselves have lost their legitimacy in the eyes of many Americans due to sexual and financial scandals, or political overreaching ‘by the so-called Christian right.’”

Linda Woodhead, professor of the sociology of religion at Lancaster University, told The Huffington Post UK she found the results of the poll “striking,”

“This confirms something I’ve found in my own surveys and which leads me to conclude that religion has become a ‘toxic brand’ in the UK. What we are seeing is not a complete rejection of faith, belief in the divine, or spirituality, though there is some of that, but of institutional religion in the historic forms which are familiar to people.”
zblaze 7 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Here's an irony: The United States is officially a secular form of government, with a Constitution that never mentions God; yet this nation is filled with individuals who want to merge religion and state. Meanwhile, the United Kingdom is a constitutional monarchy with a queen who is both the head of state, as well as the Church of England, and yet the nation's subjects are moving in a more secular direction.

I am living in the wrong country!

I tend to agree, but just for this one. Actually it depends on a lot more I'm afraid.

So they don't really mean it when they say God save the Queen?

Nope, it has become rote and meaningless.

Except as one of the few remaining uses of the subjunctive in English. It's a mode you have to get your head around if you learn Spanish.

Oh? Don't they mean "Put her in a bank vault"? I hope not, you never know how she looks when she comes out of deposit. I mean, I don't want to know.

All depends up on what part of Britain you are in - England is the least god fearing place overall but there are towns that are very religious. City of Liverpool is one of them. Protestants in Northern Ireland would be very hard line (people would call them Bitter Orange which is rather funny as its the name of an orangeade drink here) Catholics are in the minority but there are towns like the one I live in which are nearly 100% Catholic - The Catholics were originally driven out of the best farming areas to scrape a living but its getting more integrated all the time. But there are marches where you see the hate nad the marchers see themselves as super british.

I remember seeing orange marches through the city centre in Manchester in the late 1980's but, yeah in the main Britain is not very religious. I've never been to America but i get the impression from tv that America is rabid with it. I went to India a couple of years ago and it is literally everywhere

As a practically lifetime resident of Liverpool. I feel I must protest. Yes we have two cathedrals and yes the orange lodge is still strong here but I do not find the term " very religious " applicable. You only have to take a short look around and see all the derelict churches to see that it is a dead issue. As for the lodge etc. that can be seen as a cultural throwback. My favorite joke on this is; 60% of Liverpool go out and celebrate on st Patrick day. Then a few months later the other 60% celebrate the 12th of July orange lodge.

Yes Kelvin I too lived in Liverpool a long time in the eighties and have a vivid memory of the Orange March the bitterest event I have ever seen in my whole life, and yes you are right I conflated 'very hot 'about taking a side, with religiosity. Some of the bitterest marchers here in N.I. come over from Scotland.

Britons like... believe in kings and queens so... bite me?

Britons like 'have a king and a queen' so there is no "belief" necessary, so... bite yourself!

@zblaze ouch... you bleeding sister?

@GipsyOfNewSpain Nope, you are Bro. lol

@zblaze I like blood.

we don't have any choice its not like we can vote her out

@jacpod See? Now you talking... can't be voted out. And since she is not my queen I have no problem with it... I heard kings and queens are vested by god.

aye they do think that but we don't .

@jacpod So you ever heard of the French Revolution?

given that my name is jacqueline podevin yes - my family, originally descended of huguenots were hounded out of France and came to Britain and settled in the East end. I daresay everybody has heard of every revolution that has ever been and every displaced nationality around the globe because of intolerance and inhumanity.

@jacpod So... knowing what you know... will you be up to dethrone the last kings and queens on earth? Including not only the christians but also the muslims? Since they are being worship and served based on a supported and anointed by god concept? So if you don't agree on their direct connection to god... will ya? And don't freak out... I will care less of any movement to get rid of all queens and kings unless it will be on direct correlation to a Communist Institution involving all Humans in the planet.

All I can say is good on those Britons.

Duh truth should always be told

The Brits, as a whole, are showing far more cultural maturity.

And I am not a Briton so... Okay.

Could it be with the hypocrisy in our government evident right now, that more people here in America will start to see the same thing. I really think it is happening.

gearl Level 8 Jan 31, 2018

So do I.

What a coincidence. So do I

Finally! We are being recognised for who we are.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19940
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.