Agnostic.com

24 6

@BeeHappy posted a ten-minute video on the topic "The Bible Is Mostly Not Factual" in which a Biblical scholar talked about how a lot of the tales in the Bible are not factual, but still contain truth and usefulness. She argued that most scholars agree on that point (and I would personally as well).

Richard Dawkins, author of "The God Delusion," said that it didn't really matter to him what scholars thought of the Bible--what had his knickers in a twist was that like 48% of the average people on the street in America believed that the stories in the Bible were literally true.

I was thinking, "Why worry about the idiots? Just appreciate that there is a rational way to understand the Bible, even if half the people who believe in it lack that deep understanding of it." Attacking the interpretations of the idiots while saying that the more erudite understanding doesn't concern you as much seems like the epitome of the low-hanging fruit.

So that kind of got me to wondering about the community here. It seems like many people here have had EXTENSIVE experience with those average people on the street whose understanding is epically lacking (and again, I have personally as well). Does it matter to you that there is also a rational way to understand the Bible? Do you have respect for people of that camp? Or, like Mr. Dawkins, are you just so mad at the idiots that more rational faith doesn't even matter to you?

AxeElf 7 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

On my Facebook feed, there is currently a dozen or more memes that "contain truth and are useful." There are no shortage of secular memes and idioms that encourage positivity, empathy, self confidence, compassion, and whatever else people say the bible is good for.

"Ah, but those are just short memes" they might say. "People need stories with depth to really learn these truthful and useful ideals." OK. Come to my school library. I can find, just in the children's picture book section alone, stories that can more effectively demonstrate any of the positive human values that the bible claims to "teach." And at the end of the story, the lesson learned isn't "so kids, you should be nice to each other because you're always being watched, and you don't want an eternity in hell, right?"

I agree that there are a lot of rational people who don't take the bible too seriously. And you're right, that's a good thing. But the irrational ones currently have an awful lot of political power in this country and they can seriously affect our lives. So we have to focus our attention on that group.

@AxeElf Don't we have to go to the root of the Bible/ Religion? Whether it be Spacemen, Mother Nature, Wisdom, Astrology.....stuff that was here way way way before these Mono Theistic religions took it all away from the Ancients. What is the true inspiration for all of this besides sitting with Yahweh in heaven? Wouldn't "heaven" simply be the bribe to conform and accept the stories/ belief?

@AxeElf I don't learn about god and our relationship with him through memes. I don't believe in any gods to have relationships with. So when you say that that's the purpose of the bible, I guess we're making the same point. Secular teachings like the Golden Rule are OK in the bible, but they're just as meaningful in secular sources. (...and the Golden Rule can be found in writings that pre-date the bible)

You say the garden of Eden story teaches you about the differences in the fundamental natures of god and humans. This is meaningless to me.

Would I join forces with the rational folks against the irrational ones? Sure. That would be rational.

@AxeElf, I agree with @DangerDave. You really have to do some mental gymnastics to get something "good" out of a lot of bible stories. I don't have to waste a moment of my time trying to pry something decent out of the bible if the book has no authority to me.

@AxeElf This cake has a lot of ingredients. Seems to me a lot of cooks are baking the cake without most of them

Rational faith is not rational... that's an oxymoron IMHO. The most placid believer still - by default - tacitly supports the very irrational aspects of their scriptures, even though they say otherwise. The reason is this: that class of believer provides safe harbour for the extremist zealots who take their faith literally.

By roundly rejecting the bible (or koran for that matter), it's not as if we're dispensing with the only source of moral teaching... we should all know that.

It appears as though we were both typing almost the exact same response at the same time...

@AxeElf - I'm interested in how there could be there is a "rational faith". Perhaps we're viewing the phrase from different viewpoints, but I see faith as irrational by it's very nature of believing in something unseen with no evidence, proof, etc.

@AxeElf - Well articulated response, thank you. I guess where I'm coming from is the perspective that science requires far less faith than religious faith. Only a few oddball philosophers actually think we're just a brain in a vat; science is about approximations that satisfy the burden of proof in the majority of cases for the majority of people.

By definition, axioms are truthful statements that require as little faith as possible... you used the words rational and logical. Faith in science is IMHO a misnomer... it's much closer to a "knowing" than it is believing without evidence, which is the context I'm using the word faith.

I went to church for a few years: listened very intently to the scriptures and sermons for messages I could use and to get a general sense; sang and played music and made an effort to connect with the message of the music in my due diligence as a musician.

I take the Bible as seriously as I take the Bhagavad Gita or the Pali Canon or any other scriptures I've studied: it's got stuff that pertains to me and stuff that doesn't. It's got great ideas and horrible ideas. It's got some ripping yarns. It's a cornerstone of Western literature, and I'm a very literary and poetic minded person, so there's that.

To see others take it literally looks to me as being about on the same level as eating Tide pods: something potentially terribly harmful that you do without thinking critically about, because everyone else is doing it and you want to fit in. I feel sorry for people who do that, whether it's Bible-believing or Tide pod-eating.

When people try to legislate based on the Bible, I think they need to go start their own country elsewhere because America is not and should not be about that.

@AxeElf Ah, the old "majority rules" chestnut...I was afraid you'd go there!

I see your "majority rules", and I raise you "separation of church and state.". (Just to be cheeky. I agree with your last bit about financial influence.)

@AxeElf Aye, that's the rub: if the majority doesn't want separation of church and state, should America do away with it? I think not, but I'm not smart enough to put together a cogent agrument to that effect. Not off the cuff, anyway. @IntellectualRN could probably make a better case, a la his recent thread about suspending individual rights when the "greater good" pleads it. I'm of the belief that people--even great, heaving majorities of them--don't always know what's best for themselves. And the country was set up to protect us from the "tyranny of the majority", was it not? I'm really just grasping at straws. I'm the worst debater: I immediately admit when I'm out of my depth and never hesitate to concede a point. You've got me, here.

Well, since I was summoned.... American wasn't found to be a straight "majority rules" democracy, it was founded as a republic where the majority elect officials to govern and there are three branches of government to check each other. There are guaranteed rights encoded in the Constitution that cannot be stripped away by a simple majority. There is a reason that the process to amend the document has a much higher bar to clear. Thus we are protected from the "tyranny of the majority" as you rightly quoted. It doesn't always work 100% and there have been encroachments, but they tend to get corrected with time. If I had to choose the most important features of the United States they would be the supremacy of the law, equality before the law (still a work in progress), and separation of church and state.

@IntellectualRN That's what I had in mind! TYVM

No, it's encouraging to me that there is a rational way to understand the Bible and that there are people out there promoting that. The 48% bother me in the fact that they seem to have the loudest voice and are more representative in government. But I won't let them influence my thinking. I look and seek out the rational.

It is quite possible that religious moderates are not only part of the problem, but the biggest part of the problem. Their large base gives an air of legitimacy to the belief system and provides an environment in which religious extremism can survive and thrive. Compare the "crazy" beliefs of the marginalized with those of the religious. How different are they, really? A man wearing a tinfoil hat pleading for people to heed his warning about alien abductions and the anal probes that went along with them is not taken seriously by anyone, except maybe those that are also wearing similar hats. So how is it that we're legislating morality based on stories that contain taking snakes and donkeys and people that rise from the dead? It's because there's a huge portion of the population that doesn't think these are ridiculous things to believe. Without religious moderates religious extremist groups would have no where to recruit members or obtain funding. They would, in effect, be reduced to another crazy, yet powerless person we ignore in the course of our everyday lives, albeit they'd have slightly more asinine headwear.

anger ends up being its own punishment even if you are right

Can I like this 100 times? 1,000?! It's so true. I was miserably angry for years - but even that was a learning experience. I learned to cry instead, and then make art.

@Lydiaeli cool. I have had my time with it too. It rots your brain and heart after a while

My question is more requisite than the point you're making. To be rational, we need reasonable evidence that the Bible holds the truth about the existence of its primary character, God. The Bible in itself isn't evidence of jack, and I find deeper meaning in many other publications that have nothing to do with religion. So if you're arguing for the Bible, I would recommend that you reread it and look at it from a non-believers perspective since pre-acceptance of its validity is a bias that you bring with you in your evaluation of its value. Your claim that there are "enlightened" scholars who have a unique understanding of the deeper "cryptic" meaning is a claim that deepens my lack of trust for its supposed source. I've read the Bible cover to cover twice, both the KJV and the NIV. I am admittedly not a Biblical scholar, but I feel justified in saying I have a solid grasp of its claims and its moral message and I find that it lacks value as a book to base our culture on.

@AxeElf You are of course entitled to accept your private evidence of God although you might want to think about how much stock you put into that belief. Here the facts on personal evidence, it's not reliable, it's self-fulfilling. I want eternal life, I want an all-powerful all-loving force watching over me, I want help....oh I got help, I want love .... wow God loves me....I want hope.....Well guess what God gives me hope......I'm not feeling great but when I think of God I feel better.....I wanted all this and there it is, therefore God is real. Wow! it's all true God is in my life. I don't know what your proof is but this most of what I have heard from Christians. It's fine for them to accept this line of evidence, they won't get any disrespect from me. I'm only pointing out to you why personal evidence is bad evidence because you're posting your position. I will add that I am happy to see you here doing that too, you seem reasonable and I appreciate that.

@AxeElf I have a question for you, and I respect that you may not want to share this information in a public forum so just disregard if that's the case, I'll take no offense.

In your opinion is it more rational to accept that a physically undetectable and a completely unprovable, all powerful, all knowing, all loving, supernatural God is interacting with you and is the explanations for those experiences you had? Should you ever accept a supernatural cause? Shouldn't you exhaust all other nonsupernatural possibilities? If nothing else supports a natural claim and you have no access to the supernatural, isn't it a more rational position to say, I don't know what the cause of this event was and then wait for more evidence? For example, when I saw a UFO (Unidentified flying object) swerving up and down, right and left at incredible speeds and then split in two and fly out of sight, I said to myself; I don't know what that was, whatever it was, that was pretty cool. What I didn't do was say I saw an alien spacecraft. To this day I put the likelihood of extraterrestrial spacecraft as a far-fetched possibility.

@AxeElf I respect your well-considered response. May I ask, do you consider yourself a Christian. I know you don't take every story in the Bible to be the word of God and that you believe much of what is written to be the creation of man's interpretation of Gods message, but given that is the fundamental narrative in the Bible something you follow?

@AxeElf That classification comes with a lot of baggage. Much you might reject, but being accepting of Christianity also means you allow for all the things Jesus taught to be true, which was the entirety of the Torah. This belief would include things we know are untrue, starting with Adam and Eve, the story of Noah, and then you need also to accept that God didn't condemn Slavery, abuse of women and that God interacted with humans in alarming ways.

The thing that bugs me is the reverence people show for the book. Sure there is some useful info in it, but nothing that hasn't been said better in later books, and without all the stoning and owning slaves crap.

I am a firm believer in “Live and Let Live” . Everyone has the right to believe as they want to believe, but so do I.

Does that include all beliefs?

It's the ones who can vote is the ones you need to worry about they are the ones getting conned by a few which will do the most harm

I wouldn't worry as much if those idiots didn't vote or run for office.

I shake my head when I see Bob and Tony Abbott.
These guys are an embarrassment to our country

Don't forget Barnaby

@AxeElf Being a politician isn't what makes them awful. Trump wasn't a politician and he is one of the most vile piles of human garbage that has ever held public office.

@AxeElf Precisely my point. I think the position attracts assholes, not creates them.

I am for the most part with Dawkins. I do not come in daily contact with scholars but am inundated with idiots everywhere I go and idiots are the ones who elect government officials who make and enforce laws based on their idiocy.

@AxeElf I am NOT in a war with anyone. I do resist religion, ignorance, intolerance, racism, bigotry, phobias that harm anyone. I think you are correct that religion itself does little harm but the adherents of that religion doing the harm in the name of said religion.

This quote fairly summarizes what could be my own concern with liberalizing religion (emphasis mine):

"Even though I had embraced a gentler, kinder progressive Christianity after college (a sin in itself to an ACE mindset), it didn’t help that I had seen firsthand what taking these ideas extremely serious led to, and no one took them more seriously than ACE. And if watering it down until it looked nothing like its charter document was what it took to keep Christianity both healthy and reasonable, then maybe Christianity was neither of those things."

That being said, I understand what you're saying. I personally feel like the Bible should take it's place among the Epic of Gilgamesh, Egyptian book of the Dead, the Bhagavad Ghita, Homer and Virgil, and the Norse Sagas. That is to say, something of the past which can tell us a little about who we were and who we are. But not authorities on which to base our entire lives and societies.

Also, given the fact that religion is one of the very few things which has (like the existence of hierarchical power structures) in some form been virtually universal to human societies—even the smallest and oldest—I find an outright dismissal of religion to be over-done.

I'm frankly not near being settled on what I think of religion yet. But it is somewhere between those three poles.

Source:

No smoke without fire but I think in 2,000+ years there's a shit load of smoke.

As a child I remember how kind people were even after all that damn hollering in church. As an adult I was told to just take it all with faith... don't try it annalize it because it was to complicated to understand the mystery of the bible. As of last year I finally said this is all bullshit. I started looking for people like me. I found some wild and some solemn people explaining the bible and it made sense to me. I found this forum and I love it here. I just told myself that people need something to believe in so I leave them alone and go my own way. I try not to discourage them because they may go off the deep end...

As long as you don't push your beliefs on me I'm fine. Believe what you want but don't infringe on the rights of others.

They legislate their beliefs. How is this not pushing their beliefs on others?

@JeffMurray well I was going to add keep your beliefs out of politic too. You beat me to it. Lol

@AxeElf Everyone that votes or supports organizations that support candidates legislates indirectly.

@AxeElf You probably support political parties and candidates without even knowing it. It's almost impossible not to. But you can think what you like.

@AxeElf I guess as long as you don't donate to any of the obvious sources like churches you can say that.

I don't think believing in the god of Moses or the god of the trinity is rational. BUT, some people do use the Bible to do good works. I'm a fan of Pope Frankie. Otherwise, I consider it a myth or fable, with the stories intended to teach some "great truth." Usually that our guys are good and their guys are evil so this is why we get to slaughter them.

I guess the idiots have made it hard for me to even try to believe. If I had been told they were just stories with lessons it would have been better.

It is not the interpretation of idiots which concern me, it is the actions those voting idiots take based upon those very interpretations, actions which find their way into law and policy.

Tell me, if you truly believe the world is ending and Jesus coming to save you and burn me, of what concern is Climate Change to you? Population Growth? Pandemic? Sustainibility? If 48%, HALF the population think and acts upon those type of beliefs . . . See the problem now?

@AxeElf your Op touched on it briefly, as follows

"what had his knickers in a twist was that like 48% of the average people on the street in America believed that the stories in the Bible were literally true.

I was thinking, "Why worry about the idiots? Just appreciate that there is a rational way to understand the Bible, even if half the people who believe in it lack that deep understanding of it." Attacking the interpretations of the idiots while saying that the more erudite understanding doesn't concern you as much seems like the epitome of the low-hanging fruit."

48% is nearly half the population, and that same HALF think the Earth is in the end times, many of them think the Ark tale literal and the Earth itself 6000 years old and evolution a lie of the Devil.
AND they are actively legeslating twoard their beliefs, legeslating their religious ideology into law. A MAJORITY of the GOP in officestated recently that they think Christianty should be the national Religion, which would make America a Theocracy like the Talibhan. This same demographic deny climate science, think it is a hoax as they await the return of Jesus ANY DAY.

WORSE, this element has a hard fringe to it. The worst aspects of it do almost unimaginable things, like Christian Evagelical Churches who fund Extremist Hebrews who want to blow up the Temple mount, because the Temple Mount MUST GO, for the third temple to be built, for the Prophecy to be fulfilled in order for Jesus to return. They fundraise for this every year.

In politics they have created a great many organizations the sole purpose of which is to get candidates of their religious view into office, so they can enact their religion into law. I suggest you read this to get an idea of how this has grown in recent years.

[amazon.com]

@AxeElf No, half is no so extreme as all that, that is the extreme wing of the extreme wing
Actually, this is ass backwards, and our system was designed to prevent exactly this.
". If a majority of the people in this country want to be ruled by a Christian Theocracy, then that's what they should get"

OUR nation was set up so that a majority would NOT be allowed to lord thier desires OVER the minority, that they would be able to live, themselves as Christians if they so desired, but that NO majority should be able to force thier idea onto ALL against thier will.
OTHERWISE you cannot have Liberty for ALL, you would only have Liberty for the Majority. the Minority would be enslaved to that majority.

@AxeElf Actually the POTUS and some executives imposed that particular law on the masses, not a majority. It was not put to a referendum.
NOR are we a democracy, we were a democratic republic. Now we are a Democratic Oligarchy.

@AxeElf I hardly see it as nit picky, in a true democracy each person votes on every issue, in a representational democracy, one person is selected to represent millions of people, many of whom will not agree with that position.
In our current system, as the current research shows, if 80% or more of the population is against a policy or law, and 10% of the Donor class is for that law, the law will pass, and if 90% of the population is for a law and the same 10% of that wealthy donor class is against it, it will never become law. Both Harvard and Stanford research have show this in recent years.
That is a democratic Oligarchy.

If enough parts of the nation wanted to make the Nation a Theocracy, they would need to change the constitution, and it would result in either mass exodous or perhaps civil war, as even Christians do not agree on what a Christian is. Christians sects do not consider Catholics Christians (50% of Christians are Catholics), the same with Mormons, Jekovah Witnesses and many other sects, and those sects have the same opinion of other Christian sects.

It is because of this that I think any such efort would be doomed to failure due to eventual infighting.

@AxeElf You know, I have been here for two days now, and I must say that compared to something like FB, the conversations here are both more erudite and civil, even when folks are not fully in sync, or miscommuncating, or even in open disagreement.

I find that quite refreshing.

Great question! My experience is extremely varied. Growing up I was around Christianity mostly of the Sunday variety. By age 14 I didn't care for it. Later in life going through recovery it was about a higher power. Even later still I studied Buddhism. Then there's a period where I was incarcerated And I was around people that didn't even believe we had been to the Moon. I couldn't really talk about Evolution with most people. One thing that I think is important is not to blame people for being ignorant. We are animals still evolving some are more intelligent than others. I'm including a picture of my Aunt Betty Jo. She was a civil rights fighter she's met Obama. She is one of the most loving persons that I know and I don't think she believes stories in the Bible but she still goes to church and enjoys faith I guess in God. So I've seen that rational faith and I've seen people benefit from it. I just feel like I can't really go there since I don't believe. People in prisons are even less educated than the average person on the street, but if they could be a college professor living in the big house wouldn't they want to, so part of their life growing up in poverty or whatever their circumstances were they weren't around much education and I just don't think it benefits anybody to blame them for being ignorant. Does calling them idiots mean they purposely made a decision to believe stuff they know to be false. No of course not. Well there may be exceptions. Also the woman in the picture with my aunt is my great aunt Betty Brothers (white hair)who was the first person in the United States to have a pair of dolphins as pets.1964 ( now no one should do that)

Not mad - just opposed to the big lie. It is as if religious people are hypnotized and open to following the stupidest course of action possible on the advice of people who are not praying with them, buy preying on them, e.g., Trump.

jeffy Level 7 Feb 1, 2018

coming from someone that believe to be an elf?

@AxeElf I live on Reality. Fantasy is for children.

As a child I remember how kind people were even after all that damn hollering in church. As an adult I was told to just take it all with faith... don't try it annalize it because it was to complicated to understand the mystery of the bible. As of last year I finally said this is all bullshit. I started looking for people like me. I found some wild and some solemn people explaining the bible and it made sense to me. I found this forum and I love it here. I just told myself that people need something to believe in so I leave them alone and go my own way. I try not to discourage them because they may go off the deep end...

I have respect for what people believe or understand. I am not one of the angry ones. Rational is better, but not every one has been educated to be rational. I figure that many folks change and learn as they walk on life's path, so I don't demean, or judge people based on what they believe. If they don't quarrel with me then its all good.

Even if they don't argue with you verbally, don't you think that trying to enact laws based on their religion that can affect you in a way you don't like is a way of quarreling with you?

@JeffMurray I am not an activist. Our country is leaning toward progressive, and nothing is written in stone. I see religion losing more than they are wining, especially Xian's. If something earth shattering is looming, then I will take appropriate action.

@Leutrelle It'll be too late then. There are already religious based laws that suck. In my opinion, that's kinda like starting to use condoms after you already have an STI...

@JeffMurray They have new over turned the abortion law, for the most part they don't pray in school. Our government is resilient, and thing tend to swing from one extreme to another. Religion is a part of our society, and they have to live with us, and we have to live with them.

@Leutrelle they may not have overturn Roe v Wade, but they have made it exceedingly difficult to get abortions in certain areas of the country. [google.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20106
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.