Agnostic.com

24 8

Do you like it when people give you false hope? I don't.

When people say this and that will happen and that they will do this or that, and then they don't, it makes me upset. People should not say they will do something and not back their words up with actions. Don't promise something you won't do. No one likes people who do that. I hate being lied to and let down. It makes me feel worthless at times. So I only believe it when I see it. I call it false hope.

Sarahroo29 8 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I prefer truth, I don't give false hope, my motto is under promise and over deliver/

I hate it even more when I give myself false hope.

Haha, that attached image. Thanks for the laugh

Welcome to Earth! People suck.

Some. You forgot to put "some people" in there.

I don't like it either. But it did remind me of a song. Mother and Child Reunion - Paul Simon. Starts like this:
"No I would not give you false hope
On this strange and mournful day..."

Same here. At least it gets the previous earworm out of my head.

They drive me crazy..like Trump..complete douche..

Whoa, I get your point and I'm not a Trump rider but he did do, and is trying to do, a lot that he did said and he was like that 'way' before they (assuming you did not vote for him/as if it matters, when the electoral college actually voted him in) voted for him.

@AnTwanSr yeah, he was a complete douche B4 he was elected..now it's acceptable to be a douche by the Trumpsters..

@Charlene 🙂 I don't think the lot of them know the difference and the others are just trying to get paid from the whole ordeal. Neither gives two good humps about the people or world past there greedy ambitions. That's just my opinion.

@AnTwanSr
Couldn't agree more!

Why would anybody like that? But it's too bad that it makes you feel worthless, because it really is about them. You have done nothing wrong. Disappointed, yes. But obviously if they can't even keep a simple promise, they don't have what it takes to understand how awesome you are.

Thamks.

I lived a 20 year relationship/marriage on nothing but hope. Believing that things would get better when.... when we lived together, got married, etc. then many, many years of excuses and promises broken and commitments unkept. Hoping that he would come through for me. hoping if I loved him hard enough that I would feel loved in return. Hoping, always, that he would give me anything I needed and forever being told that it was my fault when he didn’t. It is a terrible way to live.

That is a very open post, I feel for you. I left an unhappy marriage 25 years ago almost, ok, I am un-partnered, but happier. This life is our one shot we owe it to ourselves to be happy.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I had a relationship like that with my ex.

It is so much better to be alone than to be dedicated to someone who is not capable of giving back @Rugglesby

As a nurse, I see the harm done by false hope. Being kind as well as realistic is a challenge, but a necessary one.

Adele Level 2 Feb 2, 2018

This is interesting and seemingly one sided. Have you not seen just the opposite where-as false hope actually had positively surprising results?

@AnTwanSr, no, I haven't. The list of situations in which I would lie to a patient is an extremely short one.

@Adele Short as it may be. It does exist and I think no less of you/any nurse because you are human before a nurse.

Talk is cheap my friend and most people talk crap.its, not an accident my best friends are dogs.

I only count on myself. I have never waited or counted on anyone to do anything for me including my own family. One exception was my mother, she taught me to be self reliant, but helped me when I needed it.

I call it being a flake. At my age, an acquaintance would get very few -- as in 0-1 -- chances after truly FLAKING and not having a legitimate reason.

And, yes, "It completely slipped my mind, I am so sorry and I feel like an ass" is legitimate and would get them one more chance.

Saying - "Oh, I didn't feel like going out in the cold," would get them exactly zero more chances.

Life is way too short and my time is too valuable to wait around on or get emotionally hurt by FLAKES.

I hope you can continue to grow your skills that include a lot of self care and expecting others to respect you as you respect them.

Thanks.

I see that behavior as a definite component of religion. Atheists I’ve known are straight shooters - you may not like their message, but you should appreciate getting it. And people that brush off your concerns with platitudes ..make me ill. If ya don’t know the answer, or have no experience with the situation, say it. Don’t feed anyone a BS feelgood line … then sneak away.. High standards can evoke deep disappointment 😉

Varn Level 8 Feb 2, 2018

I have come to realize that the folks who do what they say they will are rare and to be kept in our life. Being let down happens often enough so that nowadays that is what I expect and then when someone does as promised I feel like a celebration.

This is one of the things that I definitely have noticed as I get older. People have less integrity in keeping their promises. There is a general tendency towards saying whatever to appease you for the moment, but not following through.

I have no clue what is at the root of this, but it is depressing.

It’s funny because I was actually about to post about this same topic. I absolutely can’t stand false hope of any kind. It doesn’t help the situation or change the truth for me.

Really? Your childhood was that bad? I mean there was no time you felt that everything was going to good, while you strutted worry-free?

I want worst possible scenario. I already know what the best or good. I absolutely hate when death is considered the worst that could happen. There are any number of things that I consider worse than dying.

Study the terminology "false altruism" people often mean well. They sometimes say things with best of intentions. Don't be to harsh. Just say this to yourself. "I'll believe it when I see it"

This is really a great question.
I can only answer this on multiple levels.
My favorite is, not to hate, that is a strong word, and not fitting when realize this is one of the things that would make the world perfect. Have you ever thought, the more perfect the world, the less we have to live for?
This could be my 2nd and a partial to complete my first, but people/some of us actaully do mean to do things that for some reason/reasons are impaired to actually do. Think of how much you would miss if the stories are not told.
One more a false hope is sometimes better than "no hope". it's true. Let me know if you would like me to expound.

Okay.

I definitely prefer genuine hope to false hope. No empty promises of Gawd saving the day. But some perspective on the ability to get through the given crisis, sure, that is actually helpful.

The real world of hopes.

Should not's an interesting thing. There's lots of things we shouldn't do, but we do it anyway. In a world where blocking someone is a click away, or you can unfollow/unfriend people who have opposite views then your word loses value. Why bother being truthful to someone if I can ditch them an find x number of new people to interact with?

I'm the same as you in that respect.

There was a time when I said shit haphazardly when I was younger, but I came to realize just how risky and damaging that it could be.

I grew to being self reliant and tend to do everything myself. I tend to reject offers for help because of previous experiences in which its either half-assed or the help just never comes.
I'd rather do it all solo than to allow myself to be put in the position to be potentially disappointed.

I rely upon myself.

False hope is bad, but there is something to be said for irrational optimism. Nothing too crazy, just keeping hope alive regardless of your current circumstances.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20306
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.