Agnostic.com

27 4

When AI and Android tech gets sophisticated enough to mimic your dream partner what will happen to romance?

Would you be romantic with an android if it perfectly mimicked human flesh and its AI was flawless?

• 18 votes
  • 25 votes
  • 19 votes
paul1967 8 Oct 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If "AI was flawless" I would have to assume it will be sentient. If so, it might be more sentient than some people I know.

Im finally gonna get married! I can't wait to tell my momma! Now get your sexy tin can ass over here

I might. For all kinds of pathetic reasons.

And probably for some not-so-pathetic reasons. Advanced A.I. would be indistinguishable from human behavior in this scenario, and would exhibit the same signs of consciousness as humans do. Whether there's real consciousness and the capacity to love and care for a partner is irrelevant because there's no way to know. Even in humans, detecting consciousness is currently impossible (and I hypothesize will always remain a mystery as an entirely subjective quality). For all I know, I could be the only conscious being in the world and the rest of you are just behaviorally evolved to act in a way that I think suggests consciousness ā€” but it may be that my consciousness is unique and independent of my behavior, even though it feels like consciousness preceeds action. That perception might be illusory. So A.I. could be conscious or not, and it wouldn't matter any more than it does in humans. What does matter is the feeling each of us has toward our partner and the sense of connectedness. Our goal in dating is to find someone with whom we're compatible, with complimentary personalities, who will grow with us over time in healthy and reasonably happy ways. If we could do that artificially, build A.I. that can adapt in ways that take much of the guesswork out of long-term compatibility, I'm not sure that's a bad thing ā€” although I think it would require a better understanding of human psychology than we currently have, to know how that A.I. growth should happen, because it would have to work for different people at different stages of life with tons of variability, sometimes in non-intuitive ways (e.g., a bit of friction and conflict may be necessary for long-term success). So, ultimately, is it so pathetic to no longer worry about finding "the one" and wading through a bunch of unhealthy relationships when it would be possible to have guaranteed healthy, strong, compatible partnership? The more I've thought about this topic, the less objection I have to A.I. companions.

I don't see any reason to buy an android that mimics emotions. Why spend the money when there are literally HUNDREDS of emotionally unavailable men out there who are much cheaper.

Are we cheaper? LoL.

Thousands, even.

Unless I get dementia of some kind, I will stick to actual real people...i firmly believe I would feel Much lonelier with a fake.

I would hope that before we are sophisticated enough to mimic a dream partner we will be sophisticated enough to be decent human beings to each other.

We can always hope

In the future it may not be possible to tell the difference. Blade Runner?

watched the sequel last night. then again, it's a movie, not real life. ... yet?

Also...

Humans are machines. If an artificial intelligence arises which possesses human-like qualia and mimics human physiology, then it would be the equivalent of developing a relationship with an alien species which only appears human. Unfortunately, such an intelligence would not be able to reciprocate with authentically human feelings which can only be nurtured within a partnership of like people. A relationship with a super intelligence would be one-sided while the human would eventually become infantilized. Some humans are okay with this. I doubt I would be. I would wonder about their motivations for romance and probably doubt their justifications. Such a partner would always only be a mimicry of my dream partner and not my actual dream partner. If it were a choice between the two, I'd choose the far less intelligent and flawed human every time without hesitation. Romance as a concept for humans would just expand its scope in ways not entirely unlike our current struggles with gender issues.

You've put some thought into that. Sorry my response isn't as involved but right now my brain feels like mush from being at work all day

I have a private joke: I will not date anyone from online dating site unless they pass the Turing test. šŸ™‚

That's a good rule

i am pleased to discover that in this community i manage the rare thing in real life: to be mainstream. my idea of romance begins in the brain, uniquely wired & unpredictable. perfection is creepy.

Romance will evolve.

It is already happening in Japan.....

Part of what I want in a partner is a foil to my own character and there's no way I could design those elements.

As long as it didnā€™t gripe and was willing to have sex any time you were ready that would be great!

How do you know you haven't already?

Sex doll brothel opens in Amsterdamā€™s red light district thanks to TAXPAYERSā€™ money

The X-rated pleasure centre was opened by a controversial Dutch TV show about drugs and sex

By Jon Lockett
25th January 2018, 4:46 pm
Updated: 5th October 2018, 11:14 am

[thesun.co.uk]

Just sayin'

camne Level 7 Oct 20, 2018

Toronto is getting one of these as well.

some folks must be fucking desperate.

No, thank you.

It is then that the hopeless romantic and all history of love and romance will cease to exist as we are already very close to a uncompassate and heartless society.

I'm not convinced that it is possible. So much of what people want and feel is whimsical.

Only the rich will be able to afford to breed

@Gurahl have you not seen the royal family ????

I don't think the poor will be able to afford AI sex for a very long time. By then rich people might be extinct.

@Gurahl those are the public faces talking about the ones behind the scenes lol

AI would fancy AI. Humans would fancy humans. There's no point in producing AI sentience with the limit of being human when breeding accomplishes that already.
A self aware AI would work that out pretty quickly I'd imagine!

I can see real pluses here--he could be programmed to never break anyone's heart, never lie, & be very reliable & safe. Also I don't suppose he could get drunk or make disgusting noises with his body. & in Sci Fi they are all unable to physically harm a person.

Drawbacks--maybe it would just be too weird & yet predictable at the same time, & people would laugh at you.

Carin Level 8 Oct 21, 2018

Why not? Would work well for people who freak out at real human touch, like me.

And why is that?

@Sticks48 Because they arenā€™t real humans. Some people like me with OCD have trouble with being touched. By people. Iā€™ve worked hard to get to the point of being ok touching or being touched by people Iā€™m comfortable with. May be it's easier for me when they are not humans even if they appear and act humanlike.

@graceylou Maybe so.

@Sticks48 Well, Iā€™ve never tried it. You never know.

@graceylou You may get your chance pretty soon. I have seen some pretty amazing things in robotics lately.

@Sticks48 LOL itā€™s ok. I donā€™t need a robotic romance. Though I might teach them to dance and form a dance troupe.

@graceylou I saw sort of a robotic dog on TV the other day. It was impressive. You may get your shot at that too.

@Sticks48 Yes, thatā€™s what I need. More dogs.

@graceylou They will be doing it with robotic people in no time.You might be able to have a troop of robotic dancing sex machines. Now that would be a show.

@Sticks48 And can turn them off when Iā€™m tired of them.

@graceylou I thought you might like that aspect.

Being attractive will become much less relevant. šŸ˜€

Not if AI is truly sentient and self aware. They will then be able to develop their own preferences, and it might not include any of us. Not if it is truly intelligent. šŸ™‚

@KenChang great point.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:205224
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.