Agnostic.com

50 5

Does everyone know their nationality, or are some of you unsure?

I was adopted from Vietnam. I never knew my real parents. I was left on the doorstep of the orphanage at birth. I have really light brown skin. I wonder if I'm half something else along with Vietnamese? Do you know your nationality?

Sarahroo29 8 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

50 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As far as I know I'm pretty much 100% Portuguese. Both my parents are Portuguese, but I doubt my current ancestry diverges much outside of western Europe.

Lebanese and Italian.

I am an American with German ancestry

Technically, your nationality is your citizenship. You can be any genetic background and still be a U.K. or American citizen.

But all people are a mix of every race, if they go far enough back. Still, I know I have part Cherokee, part Aztec, Spanish, English, and Italian relatives in the past five generations.

I agree to a point with what you are saying. But there is a case to be made that knowing your heritage is a good thing. For me, it would give me pride, wonder and a sense of belonging that I would otherwise not have. I don't really know much about my heritage, but I would love to find out.

@stomato Yeah, I would spring for a DNA analysis, except for some news story I heard last month that certain DNA labs were selling the information to third parties, but I've not followed the story. They could have stopped it already.

Im English by birth and caucasian like my parents. this like America is a mongral nation and im sure Romans and Saxons didn't wear condoms as they raped and pillaged but I can't change it or where I was born but don't care.

How inconsiderate of the Romans and Saxons. Really!!

I know utter bastards

I was born in India. My parents were born here too. And their parents too. I don't have much uncertainty in that matter.

Choctaw at a relatively low percentage, then idk, a bunch of whitey, I guess. No clue really.

I think what you mean is ethnicity. You have the feeling and perhaps some evidence that you are not 100% Vietnamese. There is an easy and affordable way to find out. There are a number of companies offering genetic analysis. I think one of the more reliable and responsible ones is 23 and me. If you go this route, it would be wise to get the entire package -- that is, blood line and health information. The test will tell you what your genetic history is and what you need to be aware of in terms of potential health issues.

[23andme.com]

I had mine done and it was nice to see that the family story as told was pretty damned accurate.

Up til I took a DNA test a couple of years ago I thought I was Apache, Cherokee, French & English. I always suspected a bit of African American as well. After the test, well, no African American, no Native American, yes to the French and English, and 1/3 Irish thrown in just for surprise. I'm still tracking down where the Irish came from.

Wow, that is awesome.

I'm American - ancestry is pure French. This is what my geneticist had to say on mail order genetic testing: "The ancestry testing is fun. There are some minor differences across companies in the percentage of various ethnic backgrounds, but it’s interesting to see the reports.".
One of my sisters did a mail order test that came back we were from Great Britain. My first thought was "During what time period?". So take any genetic ancestry testing with a big grain of salt. (BTW after you get Breast Cancer and it isn't the BRAC gene? You get a geneticist.).

Primarily British by passport, Irish, Welsh, French Ancestory.. a brunette with green eyes..

Cool.

I,m English , grandfather was French . Going a long way back , probably a bit of Viking , Angle or Saxon ... I think most people are mixtures.

Cool.

Nope, don't really know

twill Level 7 Feb 5, 2018

Alaska native and German

Irish, Russian and French.

If I were you I would have my DNA tested. The Heritage Foundation is very professional I had mine done there and I had a few surprises. The British and Irish came up on my dad's side but my mom's was a surprise. She thought she was all Italian but it turns out she was more Iberian. Also some west Asian and North African. Good luck!

I have been told I'm mostly English, Belgium with a mix of Native American in there somewhere. None of this has ever been verified. I keep thinking about doing an Ancestry DNA test to find out. But I have doubts about their accuracy.

Yes.

Half British, quarter French and quarter German

I was raised to know what I am without benefit of the doubt. Regardless of my legal nationality status.

I was born in Argentina to French parents. My grandparents were also French...I couldn't tell you which one...or how many...ancestors of different ethnicity -if any- I have.

I guess "Do you know your ethnicity? " Nationality is where you were born. Ethnicity / race is provided by your ancestors....regardless of your place of birth.

I meant ethnicity. Sorry.

I think you should concentrate on being a great person and happy in yourself. Thinking about your particular mix of DNA and that of others can lead to unfair prejudices and discrimination. Groups of people have been migrating and reproducing with other groups for millennia. You can be curious but do not let it hamper your view going forward. Best wishes.

I don't think anyone knows their complete ancestry unless they have done the DNA test that shows just exactly where all our ancestors were. Someday we will probably be all one race if Trump doens't kill the planet first.

Native American and German

Why people place in the same bag "nationality, ethnicity....and sometimes also religion"?

I meant ethnicity. Sorry.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20538
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.