Agnostic.com

28 7

Krispy Kreme donuts are coming!
The thing about that is, they will have one store to start with, and they have chosen to put that store in the area of South Auckland, which is the area with our highest obesity rates, Mostly a community of Samoan, Tongan immigrants and Maori. I think that it might be right next door to one of the many KFCs they have out there.
A Lot of people are up in arms about the whole thing, coming to NZ and putting your store there in that area when Dunkin Donuts are just everywhere. bla bla.
Do you find where you are, that Krispy kreme or stores similar choose to place themselves in low income high obesity areas?

Sacha 7 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thankfully, the nearest Krispy Kreme is an hour-and-a-half away. Those things are like crack.
My kids moved to Massachusetts last year and there's a Dunkin Donuts on every corner. Hope they can resist.

It will be about the same distance away from me, so I won't be going either. Actually when the Krispy Kreme people were asked why they are putting their store in that particular area, they said because thats where their factories will be! lol everybody laughed. Factories?

Sugar is a drug not a food, partner it with wheat and grease and it is addicting. I have a gluten sensitivity so I have not eaten a donut in many many years. No it is not surprising, I just sad to hear the people in your country are coying are poor diet habits. Corporations are soulless entities whose only interest is making money. The people have the power to control them but choose not to by continuing to purchase their product.

Maybe it's a good thing we have a gluten issue. One less temptation to deal with.

You are spot on.

I lived in a "working class" area in Melbourne where the first KK franchise was built.

The lines were so long for months, that the Automobile club kept a nearly permanent mechanic out there for people who had run out of petrol or overheated in the lines.

There are few justifications for an armed response tactics, but this would have to be damn close.

lol

As a matter of fact, I do.
The Krispy Kreme, in Gainesville, FL, was in an area known, at the time, as "The Student Ghetto". It was just off campus (Univ of FL), lower-class area (now gentrified), right next to the ABC Liquor store, and a block from the 7-11. I lived two houses behind the KK.
I've never really been a fan of KK, but the aroma sure smelled good wafting through the neighborhood.

Yum, but to bad for Auckland folks waist line😉

our town used to have a KrispyKreme analog by the methadone treatment center

Oh them Doughnuts generally have alot of calories, do enjoy in moderation

Bleh! Too sweet!

You already sweet enough Anne? 😉

@Sacha You betcha!

Hmmm.... I hear what your saying... people love their donuts in the morning.... we had to bring 4 dozen on our birthday where I worked... you get pointed at if you dont...Yikes!

They left Colorado Springs, but they are 1 hr away in Denver. We have Dunkin Donuts and Amy's Donuts here.

I have never really understood the love of KK.

Yes, KK is usually in crap neighborhoods. They're junk. The family run donut shop on every corner is almost always better.

Yes, the are going to go where Dunkin is thriving. They're doing well for a reason.

they sell more donuts there.

I lived a mile from a Krisy Kreme for about 5 years. We gorged for about a year then ceased to even smell it anymore.

But I really dug those caramel filled crunch things

I stopped eating white flour, white sugar, most processed food, and red meat back in my early twenties, after I almost died.
From then on, no more flu, infections or any other sicknesses. Same for my kids, who didn't even get the sniffles.
Also, my jogging stamina suddenly doubled, and I stopped wheezing when I laughed.

Eventually, my friends were mostly those who shared my health food habits, since no way would I buy steaks or serve junk food just to please them when they came over.

People made a fuss when they opened in my region, people flying back from Sydney would bring them as well, haven't even tries one to be honest. They don't look anything special.

Of course..low income marginalized peoples are alway targets of junk food companies..and liquor stores..and pubs.
Btw Krispy Krem doughnuts Suck..bleeeeck!

The one I lived near was a few miles from Disney which was very expensive to live in.

I haven't had one of those nasty things since 1999. Back then, the place I worked for would always get a local bakeries for anyone working Saturdays until KK moved to town. I've never understand why people like them or Cinnabon.

Surprise

Krispy Kreme used to have their own stores here in Sydney a few years ago. Now they only have stalls in 7-11s.

As for franchises setting up shops in areas with certain demographics, I'm sure they would. However, here in Sydney, it feels like new franchises eventually disappear (mainly due to the more established players: McDs, KFC, Dominos, Pizza Hut, Red Rooster etc.). For example: Arby's and Taco Bell closed shop after only a handful of years.

Interestingly, there's the Red Rooster line:

[junkee.com]

What do you guys do for fast food tacos? How could anybody on this planet go without tacos? I absolutely could not.

@BlueWave I know, right? Luckily, TexMex and Guzman y Guzman has manage to stay in business - so far. Fingers crossed.

@SamKerry WHEW!!!! on the tacos! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Fast food restaurants prefer to locate near/next to/across from other fast food places. So said a fella, who owned eight burger kings, and was a guest speaker at an economics class that I took. Krispy Kreme isn't as good at the local dump donut shop in Erie...Mighty Fine. heh heh

I have never noticed or paid any attention but I can imagine that being true.

Poo donuts how do they come out oncr your body has prossed them

I LOVE donuts!!! Therefore, I eat them only about once a year. I would not say Krispy Kreme are the best donuts I’ve had, but I would never also say they are not the worst. If calories were not an issue, I would happily eat Krispy Kreme blueberry cake donuts every single week of my life. Yum!

my whole region is high obesity, low exercise, lots of cigarettes and rifles in pickup trucks, bless their hearts. Long ago I stopped comparing my diet against the norm here. Roll my eyes and shop the small, lonely organic section alone. Waaaaa

The State of Maine, USA is obese and low income. We have no Krispy Kreme store. To find out that you are getting one before we will, is depressing. Next you are going to tell me that you have national health and I can't even find a decent witch doctor up here to read my chicken bones...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20561
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.