Agnostic.com

10 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Years ago read about the development of the bi-cameral mind that explained....at the time made sense to me......try " the orgin of consciousness in the breakdown of the bicameral mind"..

That was most interesting! I think I will keep reading and may include more classic fiction (I am a non-fiction reader). Lol

Because women weren’t allowed to write in books in the old days and men never have had any feelings and they wrote all the books

Feelings were invented around 1800 by Jane Austen. Some publishers edited old Shakespeare scripts to include them.

People seem very emotional in ancient fiction, especially men. Always getting mad, jealous, vengeful & what not. & then they can't control their feelings & start wars & kill people.

Carin Level 8 Oct 23, 2018

But as they point out in the article, these are stereotypical emotional reactions, with no characterization of the thought process behind them. You know--someone attacks your country, and you get mad and kill them. There's no complexity or internal dialogues that might reveal the way these emotions came about.

Ahh, simpler and happier times!

Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts. 🙂

Individualism came later

the article is about reshaping the mind; the observation, which may or may not be apt (i think it is partly true and partly untrue), that ancient literature doesn't deal with feelings, is almost a side issue.

g

True. That was just kind of a starting point.

I agree the article is more about reshaping minds, it skips quickly over the one important fact about how ancient litrature differs from the modern when it mentions the printing press mainly only in one paragraph. And the example it picks to start is not truely fiction at all, but would have been seen as history by the standards of the day. The real difference is that before the press a large library was five books, at a cost of thousands of dollars each in todays money, and those few books had to cover at lot of bases, the bible was a popular book because it covered history, fiction, physics, natural history etc. there simply was not space for a lot of detail, or to create a lot of book types, with a few exceptions there simply was not a difference between history and fiction, which is why it is so foolish to take old books like the bible as factual.

I always thought it was pretty accurate the picture of the caveman hitting the cavewomen with the club seems kind of painful.

What reason do you have to think that was accurate? They've found all kinds of tools in caves & I've never seen a club. & I get Archaeology Magazine too.

Could that be an ancient ‘old wives tale?’

Because until the millenials came along, we just dealt with life and didn't waste time with participation ribbons and "feelings".

Ah, the good old days....

😉

@Humanistheathen ....no one cares about the feelings of the Millennials except the Millennials. 😉

Sorry, but I disagree. And this article has nothing to do with millenials.

I'm pretty old & I'm here to tell you that everyone in the "old days" had feelings.

@Carin @tnorman1236 It's a shame that so many people on here seem to have had their sense of humor removed.

@SkotlandSkye Sorry. Your statement didn't seem like a joke when I read it. That's the problem with textual communication.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:206494
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.