Agnostic.com

10 3

Excuses, excuses! This just irks me. I have an elderly friend who sought the services of a young man, the son of a friend of a friend. I met the young man. He came over and did some chores around her property and home while I was visiting her one afternoon. He was polite and seemed personable enough, She paid him well and engaged him again for the following Thursday. He failed to show. The reason? HE FELL OUT OF BED. Wtf? I asked her if this a bunkbed situation and perhaps he had injured himself? She said that that as far as she could tell, that he had reported that it was just a normal bed and no, he wasn't injured. So she rescheduled him for tthe next Thursday. He again failed to show. The reason...wait for it: HE FELL OUT OF BED. (Some people just don't learn, do they?) At this point, I asked my friend if this boy suffered from an illness, possibly neurological, that would cause him to fall out of bed. She said her friend reported that the family had never told her of any such illness, and indeed the young man had appeared to be be healthy when we met him. I suspect that the falling out of bed excuse worked once, and he decided that it made a good work-around, so ran with it. SMH.....

BookDeath 8 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Kevin reminds me of my spouse.

@Countrywoman Hide the batteries out of the remote

Hmmm, of course we only got one side of the story. Old people can be hard to work for despite paying what they think is "good money".

Imagine working for your parents, if you want to get a feel for the situation.

I would love to speak to the young fella before making any statements.

?? True. We only get one side. He promised to do a job and didn't show and didn't call. What possible excuse is there for it happening twice? As to working for the parents? I grew up in a family business. and loved the work. Every minute of it. My reaction is that mommy & daddy raised a real snow flake with no understanding of, or feeling for, the concept of personal responsibility. My bet is that junior was paid a fair wage, maybe even on the high side, but what is that when mom & dad hand over $20 bills like they're paper napkins?

Wow, he's not only too lazy to work, but he's also too lazy to think of a more imaginative excuse not to work.

Oh my god, I fell from the top of a ladder the week before Christmas getting decorations down from the attic. I fell on an oxygen/acetylene set and was banged up all over. I still went to work the next day, and I'm 61. If I had made an excuse like "I fell out of bed" when I was a kid, my dad would have shipped me off to Siberia.

I know, right?
If I ever said any crap like that, I would have whooped my own ass.

@VirginCotton
No, and this is a ladder I use all the time. After I got on my feet I inspected to see why it had slid out from under me, and the floor had a greasy film all over it. The best we could tell, it was residue from where the grandkids had a silly string war in the garage a couple of weeks before. I swept up the mess, but apparently it left a film behind. It makes me wary now when I go into the attic. My right elbow is still sore.

That is just wrong. If he doesn't want the work he should just say so!

Lol. That is funny.

Maybe his bed is on the porch of a tree house ?

Oh dear. Too many parents aren’t teaching their kids about personal responsibility.

How old is this kid?

@BookDeath Yeah, me either.
It sounds like he's just a lazy ass.
I might be a little harsh, but I've been working since I was 15. I bust my ass to make money
Most of these kids nowadays just seem lazy.
And I get it, he might not came from money.
But, I didn't either. I knew I had to go make money because it sure as hell wasn't going to come to me.

Considering he agreed with the labor beforehand and didn't follow through... Sorry, that sounds pretty lazy to me.

"I fell out of bed" is code for "I didn't want to go"

Similar to "the dog ate the homework".

@jlynn37 probably even less likely to be true though lol.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20814
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.