Agnostic.com

16 4

QUESTION Denmark Doctors Declare Circumcision Of Healthy Boys 'Ethically Unacceptable' | HuffPost

Doctors and medical organizations in Denmark, the other Nordic countries and, with one notable exception, elsewhere in the Western world agree that circumcision of healthy boys is ethically problematic. It is considered an operation seriously and patently at odds with the Hippocratic oath (”first do no harm&rdquo😉 and one that is in conflict with a variety of international conventions, most notably the U.N. Declaration of the Rights of the Child.

zblaze 7 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Usually done with no anesthetic because 'babies can't feel'. Right...... Talked with my siblings about this - saved my nephews. 😉 Not circumcising now seems to be the norm. (In the US anyway).

Exactly. Hygiene is the key because bacteria will hide and reproduce wherever they have a chance. What I am always attentive is to the petty and pesty attempts of religious people to make all kinds of unsupported arguments and outright lies in order to make us all accept that their old dusty book is “the truth” and that we all have to, not only accept that truth, but we even have to change the way we live to conform to their perjudicial views. And the dichotomy of either circumcise or else walk around with a smelly penis, is a false one. I wish that people would call out those instances because it could also be the case that the person saying it could be doing it out of habit, without even thinking.

Well said Rod.

Thx zblaze.

FYI. I have met 2 men who were circumcised as adults. Both remarked that sensation was increased. If I was to birth a male child I would elect Not to engage in the practice.

Interesting. I cannot negate the opinion of those who, having been circumcised, say they have more sensation. Its just that, once the foreskin is off, there is constant tubing of the glans against the underwear. Think of an uncovered clitoris constantly rubbing against the panties (ouch!). Hmm... well, I suppose I can try to accept the testimonial of your friends that such constant rubbing did not have any effect on sensation in the long run, but it does presents a challenge. : )

And one more important point: retracted foreskin provides extra stimulation to the vaginal wall. Think of it as a ribbed condom.

I am conflicted on this issue based on science. It has been proven that HPV, HIV, etc. are transmitted more easily by uncircumcised males. Many religious practices are based on ancient methods of controlling behavior, disease, interactions. Just use some anesthetic on the poor bugger.

Ancient methods are exactly that... ancient, old, decrepit, outdated. You are not suggesting, I hope, that circumcised males do not transmit HIV and HPV, do you? If what you read is right, it only means that both kinds of males transmit those viruses; only one more than the other. The problem here are the viruses, not the foreskin. Would it not be great to be able to see beyond the agenda of religious people that use ANY excuse to impose their point of view on others? And I would ask, with all due respect, don’t minimize the issue; “anesthetic on the poor bugger”? You seem to be inclined toward scientific thinking. I bet you can do better than that.

@Rodatheist This was published in Discover magazine, a laypersons periodical. "Transmitted more easily." Nothing here about suggesting circumcised males NOT transmitting viruses. I heard a recording once on PBS of an anesthetized circumcision vs one sans anesthesia. It haunts me still.

@Nutpoacher TMI!

For those still advocating for circumcision I ask will you also have your newly born daughter's breast amputated so that she will not get breast cancer later in life?

Newly born daughters do not have breasts.

@Countrywoman ok, budding tissue.

Point well taken

Recommended reading from a young American woman who researched the subject a few years ago. The post went viral.

[madsciencewriter.blogspot.co.id]

An unnecessary operation that results in death for a few, irreperable loss of sensation and for some with horrific disfiguration or loss of penis a lifelong psychological trauma.

It does reduce sensitivity substantially, My daughter, now with three kids, is a stickler on this topic. It is indeed a form of genital mutilation. It is a very stupid thing to do knowing what we now know.

EMC2 Level 8 Feb 5, 2018

Of course it does. Bertrand Russel once said, and I am paraphrasing, that the Victorian women were supposed to be completely ignorant about sexual matters such that their first experience would be so traumatizing that they would stop having sex altogether; as virtuous as a Victorian woman can get. I bet that circumcision had the same intended purpose though out by some sexually traumatized individual that was able to convince a huge bunch of ignorant followers, and now, “because it is an ancient tradition” we are supposed to do as sheep and follow the herd? Good for the Danes!

A guy at work in England had a circumcision at 50, said it took most of the feeling away but thought that was a good thing because he lasted a lot longer.

Hurrah!! A lot longer of feeling nothing!!! Wow, you can’t make this stuff up.

Bullshit. The foreskin is a breeding ground for every nasty, creepy crawly infection possibly imagined.

Not near as much a breeding ground as the human mouth is, and much less so if it is cleansed regularly.

Just not true, An old myth, Nature provides the foreskin for a reason.

@zblaze 🙂 And if blokes like Clinton kept theirs out of mouths they wouldn't have infections transmitted to them!

Hell, look behind your eyelids and tell me it is not a breeding ground, The body uses these microbes is a collective way. Or maybe people should cut their eyelids off and use moistener the rest of their life

So are the nostrils and hands. We manage those conditions with washing with soap and water or saline solutions. And condoms for those very cooncerned about transmitting disease.

It's long past time that "civilized" humans stopped following bronze age superstitions. What ever took them so long?!?

I think my dad had it done on us as a form of domination

He's an atheist, believes he is god.

Splendid. Common sense prevails at last.

Agreed. I wouldn't and didn't do it to my child.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21043
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.