Agnostic.com

43 14

Helpful tips you learned as an adult?

“I didn’t know you can do that,” I marveled at age 23, watching Patricia pour two different cereals in her bowl. We looked at each other and burst into laughter.

I still I have pockets of naiveness. Learn from everyone I meet. Through online dating, I gleaned invaluable tips from men:

1. Pour liquid laundry detergent into the cap, and toss it in the washing machine before adding clothes. The cap gets washed and rinsed. No more messy caps.

2. Troubleshooting dead electric GFIC outlets (short for “ground fault circuit interrupter” outlets). Press the “Test” button first and the “Reset” button pops out. Then press the “Reset” button.

3. Finally! How to properly sharpen knives with a steel.

4. "The best personal lubricant is AstroGlide," a doctor I dated said. Yup.

What invaluable tips did you learn from others as an adult?

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Learn to cook from scratch. Food tastes better, is healthier, & is cheaper

@davyjones

Exactly. I have chicken breasts roasting in the oven.

Also, I'm making Carrot-Apple Muffins. When the chicken comes out, I will:

1. Increase the oven temp to 375 degrees;
  2. Gently mix wet and dry ingredients together; and
  3. Hustle the muffins into the oven.

Muffins start rising as soon as the wet hits the dry ingredients. Don't answer the phone!

Housekeeping is easier than house cleaning.

I'm busted!

@Lorajay

No kidding.

1. To help others, you must first be strong enough to help yourself.

2. Not all people share your (high) values of fairness, honesty, and respect.

3. Many people are dishonest and/or do not use fact based realty to establish their world views. Fact checking most assertions is necessary.

Don't lick thread to put it through the eye of the needle...it expands it....instead, lick your finger, put it behind the eye and the thread will be drawn to the moisture and thread it self.

The older I get, the less answers I have -- and the more relieved I am about that.

you know all those free trials that require a credit card# to start, that you forget to cancel before the free trial has expired? i used a visa gift card# with about 5 bucks left on it instead for a showtime 7 day trial and it worked.

I never thought of that! I'm stealing the idea.

I add an event in my calendar to remind me to cancel, but the gift card idea is good too.

@davyjones I think not having to bother with it again would be much more convenient.

You can't throw a potato chip far.

@Kattywampus69 It still won't go far. I have done an in depth study of this subject.

Listen to your Mother.
Know how to change a flat tire.
Get eight hours of beauty sleep each night, nine if you are ugly.
Gotta move it or lose it!

That comment makes me think I need to go back to bed, lol

Don’t forget to put coffee grounds in the coffemaker or you’d have really terrible coffee.

Don’t put anything you don’t want destroyed near a donkey.

Don’t eat anything you know you’re allergic to (though this one I seem to not have learned so well).

Dont cheap out when buying a can opener or some duct tape. Spend a bit more and get the better quality, you won't regret it.

eating pineapple makes your vajayjay smell good

Just call me pineapple! ?

“This too shall pass”

It’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Except with your wife. Always ask her opinion.

@dalefvictor no wife, no girlfriend, I’m in the clear ???

Important lessons sometimes involve pain!!!

I just learned this one today!!!

Never trust what a women say, observe her actions.
Never chase a women, ignore her and she will chase you.

I find your presence on this site deeply troubling.
Every post I've seen from you has some level of misogyny.

Btw, I understand that English is not your first language, and that's fine.
However, when referring to females, "woman" is the singular, and "women" is the plural.

@KKGator Thank you for correcting my grammar. Now why don't you attempt to get me banned lol. You and your group already successfully deleted my comment that triggered you. Look at yourself. You guys claim to be open minded and able to discuss in civilised way, yet you do the same thing like religious people. You guys do all you can to prevent the different opinion from appearing on this site. You are hypocrites. You have nothing to do with reality, science, logic. You are a part of a cult that criminalize other opinion. People like you are the issue in the atheist community. I'm glad you find my presence troubling and you better get used to it.

@OwlInASack This is getting old. Listen. You guys attacked me, call me names and got my comment deleted. You are a bunch of old white people who are "deeply disturbed" by the presence of the Middle Eastern guy who speaks his mind freely. I understand, believe me, I do. It's obvious what's going on. But for your own sake you need to stop this. Stop herassing me, calling me names, deleting my comments, and attacking my person and my heritage. Discuss the point and don't attack the person, you know, the ad hominem fallacy. We're spose to be on the same side. If you were to ask me why and what I meant, I would have broken it down for your from biological point of view and explain how sexual diphormism impacted my understanding of the gender dinamics. But no, xenophobia will always attack and never seek to understand.

The original post might "sound" harsh, but there's much truth to it and labeling it as "misogyny" won't change anything. I would add that observing one's action is not only peculiar to women, but human beings in general. But, there is ample evidence suggesting why chasing a woman is the wrong move from an evolutionary perspective. So, that's just science.

PS: My comment is solely based on the statement made in the OP.

@IdenIzzat I haven't "attacked" your grammar, I was trying to help you out.

The ONLY thing I've gone after has been your blatant misogyny.

Just because you can't handle the fact that people call you out on your bullshit isn't my problem. I haven't tried having you banned, nor would I.
I believe in free speech. I also believe that what you say matters, and if you spew bullshit, others are free to call you out on it. Your frequently stated misogyny is bullshit, and whenever I see it, I'll say something about it.

I haven't disparaged the part of the world you're from. I have, however, completely derided islam, and will at every opportunity. ALL religion is evil and should be disrespected and treated with scorn.

Unless you block me, YOU can get used to the fact that I WILL comment on whatever I see fit. Whether you like it or not. That's how THAT works.

@OwlInASack I can decent to your level and use your language and tell you to fuck off too. But I'm not going to do that. A person of your argumentative level is not worth the effort.

@KKGator honestly, I was about to block you. Now, after reading your comment, I want you to keep following me, trace my actions, and spend your time obsessing over what I say. So no, I'm not going to block you. Enjoy spending your time thinking about me 😉

@IdenIzzat Yeah, I don't follow anyone. As far as thinking about you goes, I forget about you as soon as I hit the "reply" button. You couldn't get lucky enough for me to think about you for longer than it takes to reply to any of your comments.

@KKGator When one clown gives the entire Middle East a bad name.

@oops1951 On what?

Don't smoke in bed--learned that one the hard way.

Had a friend who's Mother died doing that last year. He got severely burned trying to save her. Try not smoking in the house. You'd be amazed how quickly you get used to that one.

@chucklesIII, that incident occurred around 48 years ago. I quit smoking (cigarettes) about 7 years later.

@Condor5 , Very happy to hear that! 🙂

@chucklesIII my primary impetus to quit was that around that time, three men that I knew in their 50's and 60's had serious heart problems; one was my father.

@Kattywampus69, thanks for that; she was one magnificent lady.

You can learn to live in solitude and not be bored... plus you discover the best toy in your youth... it is still your best toy.

Cast-iron and stainless steel are the only materials to use for stovetop cooking. All others have materiale that leach into your food or have harmful effects.

@PalacinkyPDX First of all, I’m not the expert. I am sharing what I learned from a former partner of mine. However, since you asked, I did look it up. The biggest problem is most ceramic-coated cookware is aluminum, which creates environmental problems when recycled. Here’s a link to one source describing the issue: [education.seattlepi.com]

As far as the product itself, here’s a link I found that gives a decent overview of the differences between ceramic and ceramic-coated cookware: [thecookwareadvisor.com]

I hope this answers your question. It was a good one that challenged me to learn more 🙂

@Bobbyzen Thanks for these resources. I've also done some research into ceramic coatings. I think you're spot on that there's differences between ceramic and cermic-coated cookware. Here's another link I found: [[stonefryingpans.com]]

Bob, is there anything you would recommend that is non-stick? Stainless steel and cast iron are not non-stick.

@johnmondin81 I have no recommendations for non-stick materials. I use oil or butter in my cast-iron and stainless steel cookware to make them non-stick 😁

@Bobbyzen Thanks for the tip. I also use butter and oil in my cast-iron and stainless steel cookware. But for proteins (like eggs) it still ends up sticking. 😟 Any particular type of oil or butter I should be using? I noticed with non-stick pans I can use less oil and butter which should be healthier?

@johnmondin81 if your cast iron is seasoned then butter should keep your eggs from sticking. Ise real butter. I also wipe my cast iron with oil after every use or two.

@Bobbyzen Cast iron is nice. It just takes a long time to heat up. Do you use yours often?

@johnmondin81 I use it for all of my frying!

I have learned most of what I know as an adult. As a child the most important thing I learned is to survive.

The one thing I learned early that still sticks in my mind is that getting grease off of a child’s body is easier than getting it off of his clothes. When my twin boys were todlers, I was working on our car and my hands were covered with grease. One of the twins required me picking him up and I didn’t want to get grease on his skin, so I was careful to only touch his clothes. It seemed very logical to me. Boy did I learn a lesson in logic when my wife got home. I have learned a lot from women about logic.

Use a raw potato to get a broken light bulb out of its socket.

Oh! RAW! Damn...I was using mashed...

The more I learn, the more I find out there is more that I don't know.
I knew that from an early age.

What is different as I've aged, is the desire to learn much more than I did when I was younger.
It's one of my favorite things to do.

My grandfather used to say 'Nevet let anyone get to you for more than 10%. In other words don't let people own you.

During negotiation or a sales pitch, do not be uncomfortable with silence. Whoever speaks first after silence, usually loses.

1. Cigarette smoke will set off smoke alarms in hotels and dorms, but herb wont. Something about the polarized quality of the tar n cig smoke, same reason it stains walls and the smell lingers long term while herb wont. Anyways, if you need to smoke herb in an apartment, hotel or dorm without the smoke travelling, you can turn on a hot shower and hotbox it in your makeshift sauna with a "spoof" (toilet paper roll with dryer sheets inside to filter your exhalation). Itll mostly just smell like fresh laundry.

2. Thats no excuse to miss class, get out of here ya fuckin hipster. 90% of life is showin up, high or not.

*I missed the "from others" part. I figured most of this out organically except the spoof and paraphrased showin up quote 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:211165
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.