Agnostic.com

39 4

If you could change your legal name easily and for free, would you? If so, to what?

Does your name suit you, do you like it? Would you change it if it were easy?

Not sure myself. I would feel weird going by another name. I just wish my name were shorter. Like Lucy. Last name too. Lucy Liu is already taken so Lucy Lee? Hehe. How easy to sign.

silvereyes 8 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I changed my last name when I became a U.S. citizen, I just translated my last name to English. Same name just in English. I was eighteen.

Doctor Who, John Lennon, or Dirk Gently

jeffy Level 7 Feb 5, 2018

In most states you can change your name, for around $200. Here in Connecticut, just trot on down to your town clerk and sign a paper stating you have no intent to defraud anyone, in a few weeks the papers will come from a probate judge, notarized. Then youtake them to to Social Security, the DMV, notify your credit cards to issue new ones, TaDa! you are legally "Autumn" or whatever you like, doesn't even have to be 2 words! I did this after my divorce...my divorce lawyer wanted $250 to return me to a previous name Only, for $150 I did it myself and enjoy my choice every day.

@silvereyes easy peasy. And a big thanks go my lawyers law clerk who let me know about it!

For years people have called me Rachel and that's not even close to my name. So if I do change my name I'll change it to Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

It sounds good like it is...lol.

I like my name as is, so I'm good. 👍

That's a good question. I have never liked my first or middle names. When I asked my dad why they chose what they chose he told me "because we liked the way it sounded." If I could easily change it, I honestly would have to put some thought into it because I never have before. Dirk Diggler maybe? LOL! IDK.

I like Lucy Lou, but that would be more of a nick name.

To change your name (first and/or last) is not difficult...takes a lawyer and some time but is relatively easy to do. There are many reasons to change your legal name...the ones that I go with are a) if your name lends itself to bullying or b) if you want to separate yourself from your family.

Not mine but my son's. His middle name is Sebastien so he wouldn't use it. I once offered to pay to change his name since it was so unique. He declined. I asked what he told people and he said his parents were hippies. I replied that I told people we were high. He laughed and said that's a good one. I told him, honey, we were!

His initials are ZSS if that is any indication. However I'm not going to reveal it since it would therefore reveal he and I to everyone. It is a short, soothing sound, found in the phone books of Europe. It's also a word in Swiss German. I've never been embarrassed we named him that. He's 44 now and one of my eternal hearts

Wouldn't change it. It would be difficult for my past friends and colleagues to recognize it's me. Though I wish for a shorter name but it's too late. My first name is long and many people find it difficult to pronounce - I just tell many people to call me by my last name, which is easier to pronounce

obis Level 6 Feb 5, 2018

Vern Haylin. Then I would steer a country band.

I’d ditch my middle name, but because it’s a pain with documents I likely would wait for a good reason to bother.

I had my share of nicknames.... from luigi to werewolf to nighthawk I liked. from giraffe to pistol to psycho to crash... I didn't. But I like my name. Easy to remember for me but not short for sure. There was a time were every other Martinez in the world was playing baseball in the Major Leagues but me... too many to be almost ridiculous. I had seen a few Hector Martinez in my life... from politicians to DJ's to drug dealers. Is my name... I will keep it. Regardless than my college girlfriend always saw me as Luis Uberalles or a Turkish girl in Germany always called me Hugo instead of Hector... so hugo hecman is the name of the hero in my stories. But never my legal name. And my son likes his name too. So... granted he never been called junior... ever. We keep the name.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21143
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.