Agnostic.com

29 16

Wabi-Sabi. Do you find beauty in imperfection?

The idea of Wabi-Sabi is deeply engrained in Japanese culture. It is the concept of finding beauty in imperfection and embracing the natural world, as it is.

Take a broken bowl or piece of pottery, for instance. The Japanese repair this with gold and it becomes even more beautiful than the original.

"Broadly, wabi-sabi is everything that today’s sleek, mass-produced, technology-saturated culture isn’t. It’s flea markets, not shopping malls; aged wood, not swank floor coverings; one single morning glory, not a dozen red roses. Wabi-sabi understands the tender, raw beauty of a gray December landscape and the aching elegance of an abandoned building or shed. It celebrates cracks and crevices and rot and all the other marks that time and weather and use leave behind. To discover wabi-sabi is to see the singular beauty in something that may first look decrepit and ugly."

Do you find beauty in imperfection, also?

silvereyes 8 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My life is broken, someone pour some gold into the cracks.

Lol@evestrat

Sorry but people make their own breaks by looking at their passed and changing the way they act or live and the environment they place themselves in.

Perhaps, but that doesn’t mean repairs aren’t needed. @Marine

I like the repurposing aspect of Wabi-Sabi. Form follows function.

Yes I do.... I got a (beautiful because it works)zero turn lawn mower that's ugly... I love that mower... and that ugly push mower and ugly weed eater and our youngest dog is ugly. I love all of them. Lol..... I'm going to stop right here.

I prefer the macabre and chilling aesthetic. Wabi-sabi falls right in there for me. I like things with a patina, history and character.

There's a certain lifelessness in symmetry. There needs to be something to break the monotony of a bleak horizon. A crooked smile may be the only indicator of a sage wit.

“Blessed are those with cracks in their broken heart because that is how the light gets in.”

• Shannon L. Alder
Duke Level 8 Feb 6, 2018

Awwwww, look at you @Duke, being all nice and profound. 🙂

@BeeHappy Hahaha!!! I'm not always all jokes and stupidity.

Good to know! 🙂

... & to say it with Rumi: the wound is where the light enters. i especially love Leonard Cohen's version, the anthem.

I'm kind of all about this.

Much rather have an old worn piece than a brand new piece of crap. Aesthetically.

for that reason i also prefer living in old buildings to modern, new ones.

I think everyone is Wabi-Sabi.

jeffy Level 7 Feb 6, 2018

Absolutely!, it takes up to three years of wear and tear for my wrangler jeans to become beautiful!

sounds like the life cycle of a butterfly to me 🙂

old frisbees. I have too many. a couple are highly collectible. they aren't scuffed, scratched, or bent or bleached from sitting in the sun, but my favorites are.

To find true beauty is to find perfection even in imperfection

That bowl is beautiful.
I've worked in clay/small-scale sculpture and building various things with reclaimed barn wood.
The old, worn, rustic look is very easy on the eyes as far as I'm concerned.

@silvereyes lol No, I'm not a very big fan of the bleached out longhorn cattle skulls.

24/7... perfect is too completed to be useful.

Don't touch my Wabi -Sabi. Last time someone touched it they cut some of it off. Ouch!!!

The universal is an idealization, it is the conception of beauty as perfection. Leaving an imperfection in place, makes a work of art particular, a particular whose beauty is superior because it is not an idealization, instead it becomes the universal particular.

cava Level 7 Feb 6, 2018

I am an artist, so yes, and I have made many a raku pot that broke and I mended creatively. (Couldnt afford gold)

I readily enjoy the minimalism of this, even how few things are arranged bring value such as flower displays.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is inherent beauty in everything and everyone in the world. You just have to have the open mind to see it and accept it all.

I agree 100%!

i decided a while ago that in order to stay sanely confident at my age, i'll have to start embracing imperfection. not sure yet whether i'll fill my facial creases with gold though.

@silvereyes, yes, totally agree - couldn't afford the 24k moisturizer anyway 😉

Since I was a teenager, if I saw an old bldg, I tried to think what might be done with it to make it useful again. I have, scattered about my home, odds and ends, and bits and pieces of broken items that I'm sure will come in handy for something.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

so yes

[blog.sleepnumber.com]

Interesting read with 2 other parts.

@silvereyes - For those who might want to link to it directly.

[blog.sleepnumber.com]

Absolutely! Imperfections are what make us unique. They are like mile markers on a road, with each flaw or scar being part of our journey.

I had to think about this. I was tiling the shower with foot square tiles. I accidentally stepped on one and broke it in 3 pieces, damn. Later I as doing the splash back for the sink and thought I would do a collage of left over pieces. A brain fart hit me and I used the piece I stepped on, added a small additional piece and, WA-la a neat center piece. In construction and art Wabi-Sabi can offer an unplanned surprise.

@silvereyes I have become a master at making something out of screw-ups. I have to as I screw-up a lot.

I was the only woman in a skillcentre of 400 men all of us learning different trades I was learning plastering and we had our own set of quarters away from all the others -of course tiling is part of the course as is cornice moulding laying screeds for floors etc. and learning how to plaster a squash court.
when it came to tiling we had to make patterns with small pieces as we were learning to cut different shapes - I loved it!

@jacpod I love it when a women gets into some sort of "man's" area. I was tiling my sunroom but had never worked with thin set for floors. My neighbor's daughter offered to help as she had done this. We did it together and it turned out beautifully.

@silvereyes Thanks, you motivate me to take a picture of it and add it to my collection.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21536
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.