Agnostic.com

15 10

I am surrounded by friends and family who still ascribe to christianity. I find it is not useful to engage in debate with most of them as they are deeply emotionally bound to their position. As a survivor of religious indoctrination, I am in tune with the tremendous amount of toxic shame and guilt attached to the subtext of all religious messages. It took me years to intellectually accept the truth and years more to break their emotional hold over me.

Today, I view religions as viral cultural diseases that infect our world population. Children infected with this disease suffer life long disabilities as adults. Just as a child afflicted with polio may never walk properly again after recovery, a child who is indoctrinated in religion may never be able to attain a healthy sense of self or agency as an adult. It can take years of emotional processing to recover what was lost to these adults. Many go to the grave unable to fully grief and process how religion handicapped them.

I believe the religious are to be treated, to be rescued, and to be rehabilitated where it is possible. They are trapped in a prison of their mind and body. They are also to be feared and carefully engaged with as they are capable of terrible deeds in the name of their god. In the great words of Morpheus "Most of these people are so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it."

What do you think?

ThomasWBrister 3 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do not think that many these Xian and other religion peoples can actually help it. They need very simple, sympathetic and persistent help to join us here, but it will happen gradually.

Shame and guilt are the most useless of emotions to people kind . Work on your own to reduce them and then you can help others on the same journey.

I actually know several people here in N.Ireland , a deeply divided religious country, who don't proseletyse and keep their religious sentiments to themselves if its a comfort to them, who am I to rip that off and what for? We don't harm each other - I think your last paragraph is chilling thats how genociides and wars start - I am a peaceful atheist/anarchist adn believe in 'so harm it none do as you will-

Northern Ireland? You either have an epic memory problem or you not really clear of your own religious indoctrination. There are few places in the modern history that better illustrate the divisive power of religion once it has become ingrained in a country's politics and culture than Ireland at the end of the last century.

As for your comment that "I think your last paragraph is chilling thats how genociides and wars start", it simply is not true. Every genocide was started by a mad man carrying the banner of religion or at least manipulating the religious.

My last paragraph is a medical perspective. Religion is a disease of the mind. A generational virus that is passed from parents to children through memetic instructions. It is kind of like herpes, Kids get it when they are born because the mother is infected with it. The point is to see it for what it is so it can be given the correct focus. See the truth, even it is uncomfortable. We are atheist, we are ethical, caring, compassionate, and we have to keep it real AF... because the only other choice we have is to go back to delusional fairy tails.

Although it kills me to let it go I find the discussion is futile with most believers. I do find it worth it if others are listening. Seems that's the minds that the doubt's slowly hit. Hard for the one you are debating to admit he's been so wrong for so long. You'll never get a mind change immediately. It will always end with mysterious ways or just have faith etc. Take that as a win.I was deeply indoctrinated for years until I reasoned myself out by reading the Bible in my twenties. It was very difficult. I almost enjoy the occasional times I'm shown I'm wrong because I know that's one more thing I won't be wrong about again.

True believers are hopelessly lost without their total commitment to their defining dogma. That possibility is so traumatizing that they cannot deal with it.

You got that right. I've started with some by having them look into the Sumerian culture they quickly see that all the bs in the bible was written 8000 years ago and was just for the control over the masses.

I am not of the "religion is a cursed disease" frame of mind.

It was a useful tool, that gave impetus to some of the greatest achievements of all of human history, and provided mental comfort to untold millions living in abject poverty.

It has served its purpose, and those who can retrieve themselves from the profound superstitions and fears of the unknown that have been a curse for 200,000 years, should just count themselves lucky, and be kind to the remnants.

I'm not anti religion, simply because there are a lot of good people who use it for comfort and to bring structure to their lives. My beef is with those who pour their religious perspective and rules over others, demanding they have the one true way. If you need it in your life, fine, but don't fuck with my freedoms or safety.

You will never sway a believer with debate because the beliefs they have are tied to who they are (or who they think they are). An attack on ones core beliefs is an attack on that persons self or identity. You may however plant a seed that may one day yield fruit, but I wouldn't hold my breath. A more subtle technique is "street epistemology". Some good youtube videos on it.

Politics and religion. Stubborn is as stubborn does. Change the subject to the weather...

As easy as sheep, we humans are so easily lead.

Don't debate... lots of xians on my family but to everyone... I am this free spirit relative that always been off the grid but treat everyone with love and respect so they all love me. I don't goddamn in front of them or show fear of a church shadow. I just be myself and accommodate them just as they accommodate me. It is not my job to liberate anyone of any prison they feel comfortable in. They happy... I am happy. They are not my enemies or they see me as an enemy.

I like that, Gipsy. Well said.

@Condor5 You welcome. My elder sister is an ordained minister and I got nothing but respect and admiration for her... so who am I to condemn her for following her faith? She already celebrated 50 years of marriage. If is a lie and she wasted her life... it was her life and she wasted it doing good things with her husband. Is not for me to judge them. She don't bug me either trying to win me over. We got boundaries made out of siblings love, not hate.

@GipsyOfNewSpain family first, right?

@Condor5 over any god of any religion.

Certain white evangelicals can be annoyingly pushy but luckily, most Americans only give lip service to their religious beliefs, attend church to visit with friends and socialize, almost none read the Bible (good thing, or they'd see such a bloody, revengeful God, it would shock them), especially in urban areas.

Where I lived in rural eastern KY, they had their own weird, 18th century-style country churches, with strange, cool beliefs that sound like Celtic paganism, like their song about flying away on a great speckled bird.

Very well stated my friend and I agree completely.

You can't change someone's mind, all you can do is plant the seed of doubt.

True believers ARE totally emotionally dependent on their dogma. It defines who they are and aspire to be, in their minds.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21644
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.