Agnostic.com

111 11

Is life meaningful without religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

111 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion does not make life meaningful!

mzee Level 7 Oct 19, 2017

There are hundreds of straiter paths to perfect wisdom and thus peace of mind.

It is MORE meaningful being an atheist as a) we are dealing with the truth and not some rubbish superstition controlling our lives and b) we realize that this is the only life we have so we should live it to the full every day and enjoy the journey for what it is. I like the question though as taken a little further in the search for truth, atheism can easily lead to the conclusion that life is meaningless, which is the truth, but in discovering this truth I find I can celebrate what meaning I decide to bring into my own life and I can feel good about it as I have done it for myself so it wasn't 'given' to me by some spirit in the sky.

It is MORE meaningful without religion.

I feel it is more meaningful without it. In that I don't have to spend all my energy everyday living up to "God's standards" and only looking forward to "Paradise". I don't worry about whether or not I'm good enough for "Him". It made me view the world in a new way, knowing it's not going to be destroyed in Armageddon. I don't view people as future refuse of that "dreaded day". I care more about taking care of our Earth as well. I also stopped viewing myself as better than others because I now have more respect for other people's beliefs and opinions.

Of course. It is what we make it.

very much so, if not more, in life i go out of my way to have great success in the things i do, and that strives me to do even more things. I'm not wasting my time being hardworking for something that we have no proof that it even exists, i mean what has a religious person ever got in return for things that they do for "god".

I suggest that it is much more meaningful without religion.

No. Life is not meaningful. Meaning is a concept projected onto reality by humans.

Yes, I believe humans create meaning for themselves. We each do. An earth filled with everything but people would not have a meaning, it would just simply exist. So I believe the correct question would be, "Is life meaningful to you?"

The establishing of dogmatic belief systems was simply a way to give life meaning, so yes, life can definitely be meaningful without religion.

Absolutely!! Actually, religious lenses dulled the vibrant colors of life for me. Living unfettered is glorious, in all sorts of ways!

Zster Level 8 Oct 8, 2017

Yes, absolutely. Meaning is something we create in our own minds. Before leaving Christianity, I probably would've said no, because I couldn't imagine my life without the beautiful mythology that I accepted as real. I wrote lots of songs about it. But the freedom I experienced in leaving all that behind has inspired me more than religion ever did, and I still write lots of songs!

Life is what you make it, it is your actions that give it meaning. Giving something of yourself to others, the environment, the general social good or someone in need puts that meaning in it. I would hate the idea of looking back on a life that did nothing to make the world a better place.

Absolutely!! Religion terrified me as a kid so now I feel very free without it. I can “sin” all I want and not feel like some massive man in the sky was going to send me to hell. I also love caring for animals and that gives me so much more meaning to my life than appeasing said massive man in the sky.

I think life is even more meaningful without religion. When you aren't looking forward to dying so you can meet the big guy in the sky or you think there is another life after this one you don't really value the life you have. But when you don't believe in the afterlife then you treasure the life you have more and don't look forward to dying. Ricky Gervais explained this really well in an interview with Piers Morgan.

is it with it.

Of course. Perhaps even more meaningful and important.

Of course it is life is always meaningful you don't even Legion to bring meaning to your life being alive is Meaningful enough will you choose to do with a life that's the question

it has an extended meaning!

The only reason your life should have any meaning is if you yourself find and attribute meaning to your life.

What does religion have to do with getting meaning out of life?

Is what you do meaningful to you? Then you are getting meaning out of life.

Yeah, sure.

Kero Level 2 Sep 30, 2017

Why wouldn't it be?

How is life meaningful WITH religion? You can do every action some cowardly nutjob can do without needing to believe in some sky-magician, and it will all have the exact same effect on others.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.