Agnostic.com

20 12

If the customer service industry were catered specifically to you, what would it look like?

Does everyone like the same kind of customer service? I'm thinking about retail, but the question extends to phone service, waitress service, etc.

Here in Oklahoma, shopping is ruined for me by the overly helpful service. That might sound weird...

I was in a shoe store. I counted 26 times I was asked in a ten minute span if I needed any help. I couldn't hear myself think.

Small shops sometimes have workers that follow me around. I had someone give me a sales pitch for about every item I touched or stopped to gaze upon. It was a cute little shop in a downtown area, but I left within two minutes, because I just couldn't look around.

Good customer service to me is:

-A nice greeting; ask me if I need help
-Leave me alone to browse
-Be there if I decide I do need assistance

Thank you. Have a nice and unblessed day! 🙂

silvereyes 8 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Being a software engineer, when someone says "customer service" I automatically think "technical support." I know that tech supp is a subset of customer service but it is what I am exposed to most often. In terms of retail, @silvereyes, I completely agree with you. But for technical support, I have a different view.

My first job out of college was for a small (at the time) upstart of a privately owned software company. The president/proprietor of the company was a firm believer that (and I quote) "Technical support should be staffed by non-technical people."

Say WHAT?!?!?

His thinking was that the people using the product were non-technical people (educators, primarily) and that it would be intimidating to them if they called tech supp with a problem and couldn't understand techspeak. The solution? Don't use techspeak when on the phone with a customer. To keep tech supp from using techspeak, staff the phones with non-technical people.

As a consumer of tech products, I call tech supp from time to time. Why? Because I need someone with technical knowledge. If I got a non-technical person on the other end of the line I would be rather irritated. I call because I have a problem that needs to be solved. I couldn't care less if the person on the other end is happy, friendly, a good conversationalist, has a great personality, or anything else of the sort. The person could be the rudest, most crass person on the planet and it wouldn't matter. I am only expecting one thing from that individual -- FIX MY ISSUE!! Everything else is secondary.

So I guess the answer to what customer service would look like if it was catered specifically to me would be simple. If I have a problem, listen to the details and then solve my problem. If I don't have a problem, leave me alone. Nothing else is required.

Germans are noted as not being friendly (they say Americans are too friendly and that makes them -Germans suspicious. When one goes into a German department store they do not hover and sometimes seem rude. They simply answer questions and aren't pushy. It takes getting used to but seems to be what many of us want.

Customer service is a big topic. Most commonly considered in retail, I agree, but applicable everywhere. I work in state service (government) and, believe it or not, customer service is a buzz-word. Everyone is your up, or downstream customer. Personally, there is a level of retail/service customer service I am comfortable with. I recently took my 16YO daughter to an upscale blue jeans place called Buckle. We were immediately approached by a sales associate working near the entrance (this was at one of our local malls). She introduced herself and told us she'd be happy to answer any questions we had. My daughter started looking through racks of jeans and the salesperson just casually asked her questions and really delivered customer service that helped us zero in on "the perfect pair" of jeans. I have to admit that my daughter was absolutely thrilled with her purchase. She loves the way they look and feel. Now this was a very good example of relatively low-key, but persistent, CS by a pro. I have also experienced what you described above, CS overkill. That is most annoying. Ask me if I need help once and then leave me alone. If I need help, I'll ask YOU. LOL!

When car shopping, NOBODY wants to be approached by the commissioned salespeople who hover like vultures. The better ones will just hit you once and then leave you alone.

CS in a restaurant is different. I expect it there. I expect that the server keeps bottomless well drinks (soda, coffee, water) filled. I expect them to pop in once shortly after the food is delivered to make sure everything's alright. I don't expect them to vanish and be hard to find when I need something.

Call center support (customer service for tech, or banking) is another animal. I know immediately, even if I'm getting "chat" support, whether I'm dealing with an offshore call center. I hate the false assurances I get right out of the gate "rest assured that I am prepared to resolve your issue today!" Yeah, right! LOL! I do my banking with USAA and had a pleasant chat session with a CS rep because I had a question. I know their call center is in TX, not Banglasesh. He was pleasant and competent and answered my question. He even had a sense of humor. I appreciate that.

I was wondering if it was the new thing going on about being aware of the customer? It's another approach to cutting down on shop lifting. They use this tactic to inform you that your being watched so you will think hard about the consequences of the action...

This is true. Greeters in retail stores are instructed to greet each customer and make eye contact, and I absolutely agree that CS is also a guise for surveillance.

@AmiSue. Well. Thankyou for the feed back. I need to hear from the real world people in here.

I was wondering if it was the new thing going on about being aware of the customer? It's another approach to cutting down on shop lifting. They use this tactic to inform you that your being watched so you will think hard about the consequences of the action...

I stopped working in the retail industry 30 years ago because of that mentality. No matter how much customers complain about it, retail workers are forced to be intrusive.

I like your version of customer service. Say Hi, chat briefly, then let me do my thing. I will let you know if I need you. If I am a regular at the establishment, maybe point out a few new things I may like

i'm such a non-consumer, mainly getting my food at the local healthfood store & an organic greengrocer's, where everyone is really kind & aware & accommodating & chatty & just sweet.

What is a retail store? I seldom go in one anymore. I buy most things online from Amazon or Costco. I probably go to a grocery store about once a week, Costco and the Dollar Store every once in a while, Home Depot a couple of times a year and that's it.

I'd rather figure out a problem out on the web than call a call center.

However, I agree with you. I hate obsequious service anywhere except when my car needs service. They come and get it, leave me a loaner, then deliver it back to me - that is awesome.

Amazon.com but with a 3D projector to show what ever it was I am buying with all the tech specs and user manuals and honest customer feedback

jeffy Level 7 Feb 7, 2018

I agree, being asked repeatedly if I need assistance is annoying. And when I actually need assistance, there isn't an associate within a three-county radius.

Blame the managers. They harass the workers almost every hour about if they made their sales quotas or store rewards card quotas. They also tell their sales people to talk to a customer every second of the day.

Managers where I used to work years ago didn't like me much. I used to say hello to a customer and ask them if I could help. If they said no, they didn't hear from me again. I know what I like when I walk in a store and I like to extend that to others. If someone needs my help, they will ask.

Then there are some stores where you won't find a salesperson on the floor at all lol

@silvereyes When I go into a store, I don't want to be bothered. Sometimes I go to the bank to deposit money for my mother and every time I go they ask me if I want to open an account. I try to be nice because I know what their managers expect. It's really annoying though. I like to walk in a store and do what I have to do and If I need help I will ask.

@silvereyes I used to work at Macy's in Manhattan in Herald Square. I used to hate the managers. Customers don't want to be harassed. Literally, the managers and their managers would walk around and watch us. If we weren't constantly moving or engaging customers they would get mad at us like we were little kids and our mommies and daddies were scolding us.

@AmiSue It comes from corporate, but the managers have the final decision to push or not. I've had managers push hard and then some who didn't. We liked the managers who didn't push hard, obviously, and it actually made me want to work more for them.

OMG, I was in a Beauty Supply store after working a 13 hour shift. I wanted to decompress and find a blow dryer. The sales lady would not leave me alone! I did buy a blow dryer because I needed to get that done. After I got home I sent an email to corporate and let them know I'd never shop in their stores again.

I like them being around but not bugging you unless you look perplexed.

In the US I usually shopped online, even if the actual store was in town, since it cost less to ship an item to my door ($1) than to drive my big SUV 12 miles to Home Depot, WalMart, etc.

In WalMart I never had to worry about someone bothering me or being too helpful. Usually had to search if I needed a sales person's help.

But here in Thailand, I'm totally spoiled. People typically leave you alone. You can peruse sidewalk sale wares all you wish and walk away and nobody says anything to you. Prices are marked, but you can ask for a discount. I seldom do, since Thai prices as ridiculously cheap as it is.

As a customer I try to bend over backwards for the little guys. That is normally how I see it... Not every customer service experience been pleasant mind you but to quote from movie "American Me"... The pinche vato is just doing his job.

Good customer service (where I want them to be friendly and kind) is hard to come by these days.

I'm a car salesman and I get what you mean. The Internet has made us almost useless since most people shop online now and just need me to get the keys for a test drive and do the paperwork. When I first started in the business people went to an average of 14 dealerships before buying. Now the average is 1.4. Pricing is already set up before they walk on the lot. It makes my job easier and it takes the pressure off the customer.

@witchymom Wranglers sell themselves. ((((Jeep Wave))))

Right on the money @silvereyes. 👍

I can't stand that when they hover. maybe next time just ask if they'll carry you on their back to browse around.
it makes me think of a great-aunt I had who would serve these marvelous dinners but you couldn't eat for her asking if you needed something.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22009
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.