Agnostic.com

15 4

Political Beliefs

It seems to me that most athiest/humanist/free thinkers etc. are liberal. Are there any of us here besides myself that are not? Myself, I believe in individual rights, the Non Aggression Principle (NAP) and limited government. AKA a Libertarian.

Jeffery 3 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The only problem I have with libertarianism is that I fell strongly that corporations, if left to their own devices, will kill us all. Cigarettes, genetic engineering, the Ford Pinto and charter schools are good examples.

Nope. I have compassion. I would make a terrible libertarian.

Deb57 Level 8 Feb 21, 2019

The only libertarians with whom I have had personal contact were nuts.

See, my problem with libertarianism is it seems to do nothing to address systemic inequality of access.

That’s probably because liberals tend to be empathetic to the less fortunate. The things you listed are also true for liberal progressives. Unfortunately, Libertarians often use the “limited government” argument to take away citizen protections to the benefit corporate profits. It always matters “where” the government is being limited. A prime example is women’s rights. Libertarians claim they care about individual rights, but apparently not when it comes to a woman’s body. In that case, the a majority vote should determine if a woman is a broodmare for the state. Libertarians are just too inconsistent with their own ideology.

Marz Level 7 Nov 13, 2018

While my overall politics do lean heavily to the right, I'm a registered independent who aligns the closest with that of Libertarian views. I'm the host of the conservative atheist group on here, and quite a few members from said group also have Libertarian values (fiscally conservative, socially more open minded).

I always seem to feel that a lot of so called liberterians who believe in individual rights are usually selfish people. Only interested in themselves and what they have.

I love politics as only an anarchist could. I define politics as “the mechanics of power,” and think I’m pretty good at it, in the pursuit of my interests.

Athiest and apolitical.

Just a quote and take it for what it's worth.
“The legitimate object of government is to do for a community of people whatever they need to have done, but can not do at all, or can not so well do, for themselves – in their separate, and individual capacities.”
― Abraham Lincoln

I searched "libertarian" in the group section and this group popped up.
[agnostic.com]

Although a minority, there are a sizable population of people (Libertarians) like you on this site. I would guess dozens.

If I were you, I would start a group so you can feel at home with similar thinking individuals.

I am not one of them.

When I encounter Libertarians at the YMCA (my gym and theist/republican/libertarian hunting ground (I debate people that fall in those categories with roughly equal levels of disdain) I find libertarianism to be among the least palatable positions.

@clarkems You are correct, there is a wide range of definitions. Those I encounter at the YMCA claiming to be libertarians present themselves as nothing more then Republicans on steroids (I got mine so *** you) minus the right to life.

The only trouble with limited government is that it puts all the power in the hands of large corporations without any hope for individual rights. Otherwise, I'm a libertarian as well. For some reason though, we never get libertarians in office who don't believe large multi-national corporations should have the same rights as American citizens which makes them a higher form of citizen due to their financial means and political influence. In other words these elected Libertarians might as well just call themselves by their true names- Fascists.

The more government regulates business the more business regulates government. Big money buys "favors" from government, government rights regulations to protect big money and deter competition. Limited government and term limits puts the power in the hands of the people.

I agree with the possible exception of limiting the problems with libertarians with the term "only." There are many examples of how the libertarian position degrades society. Protection for the Environment, safety for those who would fall victim to the exploits of others upstream, the list goes on. . .

@clarkems I don't think its complicated at all. In fact It looks like it might be inevitable.

I'm a moderate centrist, and an Independent. I don't like extremes in either direction.
I only claim to be an atheist, and an anti-theist.
I don't claim any of that other stuff.
I don't find most Libertarians to be all that different from conservative republicans, in all honesty.

Conservative republicans don't believe in a woman's right to choose, Libertarians believe it's non of their business what a woman does with her body. Conservative republicans don't believe in gay rights a Libertarian believes in individual rights. Conservative republicans believe religion should be a focal point of ones life, Libertarians believe its non of their business what others want to believe in so long as they don't try to force their beliefs on others. It use to be that the right believed in limited government which is inline with Libertarian beliefs but we all know the right has done just as much as the left to add to our national debt, spy on citizens, bomb innocent men, women and children. Today the left and the right are nothing more than opposite sides of the same coin.

@Jeffery That's what they're "supposed" to be, but most of the ones I know, who call themselves "Libertarians", are not different than the conservative republicans. Not trying to argue with you, just relaying my personal experience with them.

@KKGator I've had the same experience. One of my old classmates on Facebook (who's unfriended me) claims to be Libertarian while defending all of Trump's positions. Claims to not be defending Trump's positions. Really hated me pointing out how pro-Trump he was.

Myself, I feel like I'm conservative with money and liberal on social issues. Live and let live.

Libertarian sounds ok. Better than conservative for sure.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:221790
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.