Agnostic.com

154 11

Do you listen to religious music?

I’m an atheist but grew up Christian/catholic. I attend a Christian college (long story) and I constantly have to listen to Christian music. However, some artist I actually like. I love some of needtobreath songs and I love Racheal Plattern (she sang fight song).
I’m just curious on where other nonbelievers stand.

• 61 votes
  • 124 votes
chlorine413 6 Nov 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

154 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh Yes!

Behemoth
Slayer
Danzig
Cannibal Corpse

I actually volunteer at my family's church, so I still hear worship music all the time. I'm open about my atheism now, and they don't mind.

That's the way it should be coexistence.

I like classical choral and Gregorian chant, but I have to cleanse my palate with Morbid Angel afterwards.

A lot of classic music is religious. I am particularly thinking of Bach Its good music and I listen. I view it as this man's attempt to celebrate something in the human experience Now there also is a lot of crappy religious music (Have you seen Southpark where Cartman forms a religious music band because you don't need any talent?)

Not on purpose.

I did not grow up surrounded by christian music, so I know nothing about it. As a lover of classical music though music with religious background I do like . Mahler's smphony no. 2 is beautiful, named the resurection. Funny since Mahler was a Jew.

I find a lot of Christian pop music to just be worse versions of regular pop music. That being said, I do have some nostalgia for artist like Jeremy Camp abd third day. Although I don’t ever look them up to listen to them, I don’t mind hearing their songs.

And Christmas music drives me crazy

It’s so annoying!

NO!

I don't listen to it mostly because it's awful music, especially "Christian rock". If it were good, I'd listen to it.

Orbit Level 7 Jan 4, 2019

I still love gospel music!!! The music and the energy (not the words) still move me. It helps that I rarely listen to words anyway, no matter what genre. I rarely know what songs are actually about.

I'm a musician...i listen to all music

I have an appriciation for all music as well.

So funny story i love the beatles and i had been making fun of my little brother because he listens to so much music that comes from alot of hatred of religion. ( and i kinda get it he is gay after all.) And this one band in particular a perfect circle and i had woke up this morning with beatles songs in my head and he heard me singing and he played a perfect circle's rendition of imagine and it was amazing i teared up a bit and it was a great moment lol. But to answer your question no.

Nat King Cole, Beatles, Little River Band even Doobie Brothers make me cry when I sing the great songs

I like country music like Johnny Cash and his songs often have relgious references. If you listen to the words it might bother you. If you listen to the melody it shouldn't.

Gregorian Chant

Antiphonal choir is angelic for real ....no wings no miracles just filling the air with perfect notes

If the tune is good, it's good. My current playlist has a couple religious tracks currently. Also, I celebrate the shit out of Christmas...I love the season. But, still an Atheist.

Deege Level 1 Nov 24, 2018

Yes you are a great Atheist to capitalize our name we are upper case nouns not lower case adjectives like xians and xmas. ..a mass over the holy day

If you think about it a bit you quickly realize that no one should listen to music that actually believes in its creator. Stay away from religious music.

I don't willingly listen to religious anything.

In my opinion john lennons imagine is an atheist anthem

Duh, ya think ? John Lennon humanized the greedy bellicose objectivists Atheists of Ayn Rand and pissed on the fake conversion of T.S. ELIOT Atheist protoge' of Bertrand Russell. .laying out prostrate in the shape of a crucifix on the floor of Westminster Abbey ....like C S Lewis William Murray III all Atheists for money pretended to be xian

I live in the Netherlands and religion hasn't found its way into populair media here. Seeing that I am a former muslim, the only music that my familiy is listening to is arabic music.

I listen to Christian rock such as Red, Thousand Foot Krutch, Skillet, Memphis may fire, August burns red, as I lay dying. But I also love atheist bands like Parkway Drive, Architects, and old Bring me the horizon

tj509 Level 4 Nov 19, 2018

I don't specifically listen to religious music, but many artists that i do listen to promote their spirituality, sometimes to the point where i can't listen to them any more

No. I change the satan.... I mean the station, the moment it comes on.

I still and always will enjoy singing African American spirituals.

Buxx Level 7 Nov 17, 2018

Hell no. Not anymore.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:223748
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.