Agnostic.com

38 2

Is it harder for non-believers to find love?

Ronaldo 3 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, a bit more difficult. Perhaps we should search simply search for people who respect our point of view.

RRRR Level 4 Aug 26, 2019

Find someone we can love?... No.
Find someone who can love us back?.... Yes...

Inserts a plug for your local pet shelter

^_~

Depends where you live

I am currently subscribed to an online dating/matching service, and I keep finding (or are sent info regarding) interesting men. Once I discard those who do not meet my strict criteria, there really are NOT a whole lot of men available I wish to consider. My criteria includes an age-range, non-smoking, and non-religious. The non-religious aspect strikes off the majority of eligible men, interestingly enough. Yes, I think it is more difficult to find love (or even a really strong "like"!) if being a non-believer is important. And it is incredibly important to me!

Awhile back I was discussing with my daughter a man who had been emailing me... He seemed interesting (and who does not enjoy being wooed?!?), but when I mentioned that he was christian, my daughter quickly said "Oh Mother," (and I can hear her eye-roll over the phone!) "you CANNOT date him." She is correct, and I appreciated that she understands the dilemma and that she is interested in my well-being, and probably the success of the endeavor!

I'm old so I haven't dated in a decade but when I was dating being married seemed to be bummer number one. Between my looks or lack thereof, the count of my teeth, the subject of my art, my habits including alcoholism, atheism barely made the top ten.

Yes, it is a little harder to find love as non believer for some people. For me it's equally hard when I was a believer and now as non believer. Non believer use there head more than fairy tales or pants. Hopefully, I will find it some day.

No matter what they say, they're all non-believers.
If they really believed the Bible and obeyed it, they'd stone their kids for talking back, stone family members for picking up anything on Saturday, all the women would wear veils, not talk in church, and stay home obeying their husbands, LOL!

Also if "God" is really "controlling" everything, why should they lock their cars, pay insurance, or go to the doctor, since they wouldn't want to thwart "God's will."

Mostly, religious people attend church out of fear of hell, or disapproval. They feel forced to "love God" or they think they might burn in hell.

I think so there are alot less non believers then believers . Most religions teach people that non believers are evil and work for the devil so I believe that alot of non believers wouldn't date alot of non believers

Many churches create opportunities for single people to meet and encourage relationships. Not sure if they find love, but it could happen. Non believers have to find their own way.

I think it's potentially harder because there may be less to keep you hopeful and searching

I think that depends on where you live. I can honestly count on one hand, the number of people with whom I work and live that express any sort of religious beliefs. Canada is a very secular country compared to the US. There are regional exceptions of course, but we would have no problems electing an atheist head of state, in fact I have no idea what -if any - religious affiliation our current PM may have.

I think it's simply numbers. We are in a small minority and there are many people who actually believe we are filled with hate and anger. I see you are in the Philippines. I should think it would be especially difficult to be an atheist there. I use a contractor in Cebu and he's a delightfully open-minded and kind person but it's obvious he's deeply religious. Take care Ronaldo!

It probably depends upon where you live.

If your stuck on finding another non believer I’d say definitely yes especially here in Oklahoma as open atheist people are very rare.

I'm in Central Florida for the winter and I just don't even bother! I'll be back in Chicago in the spring where every other vehicle on the road isn't a pickup truck with a "Jesus loves the NRA" bumpersticker.

@DeStijl I’ve never saw a Jesus loves the NRA bumper sticker and I’m a life member of the NRA and also an atheist.

@Trajan61 It's called sarcasm.

@DeStijl ??? Ok

@Trajan61 I am surrounded by Evangelical Christians for whom the most important things in their lives are Jesus and their guns. And probably their extremely jacked-up pickup trucks.

@DeStijl Not all of us pickup drivers and gun owners are religous nuts. Most of the religous people I know are not the pushy type, however the ones who are, are a pain in the ass.

@Trajan61 I saw this recently in Port Orange Florida and I deemed it a pickup truck unicorn---

@DeStijl ??? Yes I supposed you could call it that.

It depends on where you live. I live in a large, liberal, urban city with a large state university, so it's more unusual to find someone who is a practicing believer than it is to find someone who isn't. Or, if you meet someone here who says that they are Baptist, Catholic, whatever, they 1) haven't actually gone to church since they were kids; 2) only go to church on holidays to appease their families.

It's hard to imagine that the things that we call love, are somehow easier to find if you believe in God. But I do think that people who believe in God are more open to relationships that don't meet the over idealized criteria that this site seems to attract.

In my life, I have had a loving relationship with 7 men. Only 1 of them shared my view regarding religion. I think overcoming serious political differences would prove more difficult. I have never found myself falling for someone with a conservative point of view - no foundation for friendship there...

ledj Level 4 Dec 6, 2018

One thing usually follows another. I find religious men are also rather conservative / traditional men that would be turned off by a free thinker/ atheist or agnostic.

Can’t imagine why!

Real love or the type of love that last until we find the truth? AS an atheist a real love is one where we share our lives and have very similar values. Falling in love with a spiritual ideology is just temporary

EMC2 Level 8 Nov 28, 2018

Well yeah dating can be hard as a non believer , it all depends on where you are really. Smaller towns have less freethinkers I assume , bigger town will probably lead to better results.

I agree. I live in a small town. Majority of Life revolves around church and the local school

Yes. I can vouche for that.

No...why would it be ?

I've always been a nonbeliever, from the very beginning, and I've never had trouble with the ladies 🙂 Now that I'm married, they still want me. Seriously. If I were single, I know I'd have several dates lined up easily.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:226437
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.