Agnostic.com

26 11

While I was departing the airport tonight, there were a few people standing between the terminal and the parking garage.
At first I thought they were limo drivers with their signage to collect their rider, but as I got closer I saw that they were Johovah's Witness holding signs about the bibles relevance in modern times.
Has anyone else encountered this before? Do they just hope people will be so fatigued after travel that they might stop and visit for a quick fix? Do they just get dropped off and picked up or are they paying for parking?
Needless to say I just shook my head in disbelief, of all the things to see when arriving home. One of the 'missionaries' (not sure what they are called in JW) watched me shake my head.
Really, who is going to stop and talk after getting to the airport?

Akfishlady 8 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We're these JWs Hispanic ? Each Kingdom Hall Salon Iglesias can be a deeper cult than others especially border states or airports landing international flights....JWs are world wide missionary cults

@Akfishlady could be Africans Mossambique thousands are in Minneapolis but most are Muslim not JW

@Akfishlady sorry to learn JWs have replaced MOONIES + Hare Krishnas selling flowers

The Abrahamic faiths are all about recruitment, even if it has to be forced. This is why religion must be kept away from government. And before anyone says it: Our government is very much in violation of this.

I'm baffled that religious groups are still allowed at airports? I would have thought they were banned after 9/11?

@WizardBill Had to bring my sister to the Airport about 5 days after 9/11 - Military uniforms everywhere - and guns. Lots of big guns. (Thinking AK 47 but don't know my military arsenal). And yes I guess anyone can come in the gates. Every time I've been in Boston I end up circling around Logan Airport - and Chinatown? I think it may be a Bermuda Triangle sort of thing? 😉

@WizardBill TY! I stand corrected. - I end up at Logan because of being lost. I wish it were to get somewhere.

@Akfishlady I've never flown out of TF Green but I've heard only good things. Used Bradley in CT a lot and they're pretty smooth too. Smallest plane I ever took landed at Worcester airport (Worcester, MA). My poor Dad was having flashbacks to being on a military transport. I don't think I'd ever seen him look that green?

A personnel fav....

@WizardBill Steven Wright - OMG... so dry. Love him.

Probably rode their bikes.

"Jesus take the ..handlebars"

@Brbaldwin LOL!!

I thought it was Mormons who have bikes

I guess you’re right on that @kiramea

Moonies have White Panel vans. It's sort of a New England thing.... they also get the flowers at the cemetery - which let's face it is just practical - after a funeral....

I remember being accosted in airports by people touting their beliefs. I even remember when the Hare Krishnas used to sing, dance, and make all sorts of noise, all the while, trying to get you to give them money. That seemed to reach it's peak during the 80s, and then I think the airports started cracking down on it.

@KKGator & @Stevil When I was 9, on a trip to Washington DC, I picked up a slim ISKCON paperback, "The Nectar of Instruction" for a couple dollars. I couldn't follow the material, but I was captivated by the printed Sanskrit, the transliterations, and the phonologicals. Having access to that text at a young age threw a bucket of kerosene on my smoldering innate fascination with language.

I might whup this on them and let them carry my bags to the car.

Whoever compels you to
go one mile, go with him two.
Matthew 5:41

That is a real problem with religions, they feel that they must pollute every ones minds with their garbage.

How else, after all, can they convince themselves?

weird

Now that's the scene that comes to mind! rofl

People are in a hurry at the airport. What are they thinking?

Religious fanatics thinking? Isn't that kind of an oxymoron?

They can be as annoying as the 'Moonies" were in the 1970s.

hadnt tthought of them in a while

In the tradition of the Hare Krishnas! Haven't seen them for a while - are they in the Jehovah's Witness Protection Plan now?

jeffy Level 7 Feb 10, 2018

Yeah, not a place to talk to people amiably, plane rides are not enjoyable to me. Can you imagine being stuck on a plane with a bunch of Jehovah witnesses? Sounds like the premis of a bad movie “Jahovahs witnesses on a plane”.

Worse than Snakes on a Plane..... because they talk to you.

@RavenCT exactly what I was going for 🙂

I think it reflects the alternate reality that the ardent fundamentalists live in -- a sort of bubble where they are genuinely excited by their faith or genuinely afraid of not measuring up, and can't really imagine that other people are INDIFFERENT to it. It just doesn't compute.

Most of them also have a Jesus complex a mile wide, and fantasize about "saving" others and enjoying their eternal gratitude.

A simple put-down is to ask them if all 144,000 spots for heaven are filled - they'll say "yes". (They think only that amount will make it to heaven.) Then ask: "Why are you asking me to join a religion that guarantees I won't be going to heaven?"

I have no issue with anything like this as long as I can walk by/around and ignore them. If they want to get in my face, I will say I am not interested and continue on my way. You do you and I do me.

Ditto.

@Akfishlady It does little good to say anything to them or any religious person and just a waste of time. In My Opinion.

Long ago I worked with a woman who had freed herself from this fanatical cult. Her stories were pretty scary. Yes, they actively seek venues where they can disseminate their beliefs but their society is so strict and unyielding that anyone who eschews or questions their belief system is ejected from the community; never to speak to anyone still in the community - including their parents, siblings or children - ever again.

In their minds they felt successful because not only did you acknowledge their presence and message but they also got a reaction from you.

In England I would just give them the 2 fingered salute Australia - that is too wearisome and only the middle digit is used.

Makes you wonder if they don't have anything better to do with their time, doesn't it? No, I've never seen that; then again, I'm not in airports that much.

What goes around comes around. I still remember the hari krishnas.

My niece and her family came for a visit once. They are Jehovha's Witnesses. They didn't try to recruit us but did state their goofy beliefs and I stated mine. I did find out several things. They are against prayer in school because it is not their prayers or their 'book'. I also discovered there are some groups in the area (but not on my island - these are 7th day Adventists) but the groups get together and set up their webs on certain ferries. They sit with some sign and wait for the flies to come to them. I never noticed this before but now I know what to look for.

I used to see the JW at the airport every time I would go, but I haven't seen them in years.
I am sure that they get dropped off, airport parking is just to pricey these days.
I saw about 12 JW walking up my street the other day, they walked up to the house across the street, they have a "NO TRESPASSING" sign on the gate at eye level, and these two JW open the gate and walk in....

if talking to them after crapping myself on a plane is what they think they are very much mistaken.

I've never seen that. What I do see is them all over the city with their little stands.

The ones that say "What does the Bible REALLY teach?". I just roll my eyes and move on.

They're like diet xians , so they don't seem so bad , but they are obnoxious 😟

Dougy Level 7 Feb 11, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22699
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.