Agnostic.com

49 13

Have you ever stopped reading a book, listening to a song, or watching a show because it added religion into the mix?

As I read informational books, sometimes authors like to throw religion in where it doesn't belong. Recently, I was reading a book about Blue Zones... where people are happiest. I stopped reading when I got to a certain bit of advice...

People may be happiest when they go to church, but I didn't like this advice that said if you don't go to church, you should try out different places of worship. This bothered me, as I don't believe it is necessarily the religion that is helping people. It's the community. I think you could get the same benefit in places other than church.

It's not just this book. I was disappointed in one copy of the Tao te Ching that my husband gave me. He didn't know it when he bought it... but for some reason, the author decided to add some Jesus and church stuff in the beginning of the book. It absolutely did not belong in that book-- as it is unrelated to the original content. That book got returned and I found a different translation. I was incredibly irritated, because anyone reading it for the first time would probably be mislead into thinking there was a relationship between the Tao and Christianity.

Have you experienced this in books, movies, music-- in a way that caused you to totally disregard the work?

silvereyes 8 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

49 comments (26 - 49)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not a song. Too many great songs mention a prayer or god briefly to stop listening.

I did stop watching NCIS-NO because it got religious fast. Then regular NCIS started up then finally LA had to go.

Story lines were stale anyway.

"The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman.

No. If it’s blatant misinformation, sure, but if it’s a self-help book or anything, I expect to find some links to religion, and that doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Sometimes it’s legitimate good advice and borrowing a Holy book’s quote can help get it across. Besides, just because I don’t believe of anything, doesn’t mean everyone who indulges in the media in question will. The world’s a big place. Some people are going to have religious beliefs, and that’s okay. It should be expected that media creator’s own religious beliefs might leak into their work a bit.

I can enjoy some songs or shows that have some Christian content, as long as it's just part of the story, and not an attempt to advocate Christianity or convert anyone. But a lot of Christian music does nothing for me. I did enjoy the movie "The Name of the Rose" very much; I don't really care for Christian music that preaches how great God is or how we're unworthy sinners, and the like.

Look up Saint Josaphat. Oopsie! Gautama's a saint.

He is phat 🙂

yes, just recently actually. sorry, i don't recall the title - my way of garbage removal 🙂

yes, its a real downer sometimes.

Yes, but not always. It depends. If a particularly strong religious bent appear in my books, music, films, etc., I will throw it aside.

And to your comment about 'community' is what helps people, I agree, I would like to add that by stepping away from the religious indoctrination requires that we develop our own mental/intellectual strength in order to deal with our reality. While a religious person readily transfers their responsibility to their deity, we don't have that luxury.

I had one book out from the library on the UFO phenomena,and it seemed to start off all right, and then went more and more into a fundi rant, how these things are demonic, and the book became a tool to convert you to the true and only Christ. So yes, that book, I did not finish. It was misleading too. You did not know from the title or first couple of chapters where he was giong. Like a trick. I felt duped, annoyed.

I've quit jobs.

All the friggin time..I'll change the stations in a heart beat..and can't stand fucking "Good Morning Christian America" on ABC..arrrrgh!

Help on wheels. Ugh

If there's a turn of phrase used in a song, like, "so help me Jesus" ("Possum Kingdom" by Toadies), I don't have a problem with it, but if it gets preachy I tend to balk.

I can deal with books being churchable but I've gotten to the point where I have to skip Songs and stop watching shows if they go to hard with the churchable shit.

no , if i'm enjoying the moment why would I

No, I can't say I have to be honest. I have noticed that most who prominently display religion in these don t believe.

Nah. I'm way to used to it. Most of the time I just let it roll off

I make effort to separate art from the artist. Also I work in the film industry and no film is the sum of one person. It’s a village of dedicated professionals from all walks of life so I have a tough time boycotting a film due to one persons actions or agenda. However religion is impossible to separate from propaganda. On some level almost all religions and cults are trying to win you over to their way of thinking and belief.

Teach people to think independently and critically.

I hate happy clappy religious songs that become pop songs especially the ones that become mind worms.

Earworms are the worst thing, especially when it is a song you absolutely hate and it’s just stuck in your mind.

News Programs, Political Pontifications, Newspapers. Sporting events. It's everywhere . I would guess that much art, books and music are the most sheltered......

Heck look at the way meat is imposed on us for every meal through the media
Sugar for every fricking holiday. Pounds of it.

A new Car! OK.....I'm done now. It's just Innocent Propaganda. Societal Impact of Thoughtlessness.....It'll go away ( no it won't)

twill Level 7 Feb 13, 2018

News Programs, Political Pontifications, Newspapers. Sporting events. It's everywhere . I would guess that much art, books and music are the most sheltered......

A new Car! OK.....I'm done now. It's just Innocent Propaganda. Societal Impact of Thoughtlessness.....It'll go away ( no it won't)

No, not unless the inclusion is overly preachy or obnoxios. Then again, I would never deliberately start reading anything like the "Left Behind" religious propaganda series or any "science" book that came from Answers in Genesis.

On the other hand, book titles can be misleading, such as Gershom Goreenberg's excellent 2000 release, The End of Days. With a title like that, you might expect it to be a favorite in your local religious book store, but instead it's quite an eye-opening look at the dangers of fundamentalism of all stripes, especially as it relates to prophecies concerning the Temple Mount and the deadly serious intentions of true believers of the three main Abrahamic religions in which those prophecies are embedded.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22821
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.