Agnostic.com

12 1

QUESTION Where Do You Go When You Die? The Increasing Signs That Human Consciousness Remains After Death

I saw this issue pass by some time ago and found it again today.
Increasing signs that after your death you are not completely dead.

Gert 7 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I wouldn't put much stock in an article from Newsweek on this topic. Their business model doesn't support in-depth science journalism.
This is a much better scientific discussion of that research, by noted neurologist and skeptic Dr. Steven Novella:
[theness.com]
Dr. Novella hosts the Skeptics Guide to the Universe podcast, which I highly recommend.
I realize that many people have personal experiences surrounding out-of-body-experiences, but our brains are very good at lying to us, even when we're unconscious. I'm not going to argue that someone didn't experience something when they insist that they did.
But the plural of anecdote is not data.

Well, you should know that plural knowledge often is the base or research. "What if …". And sure people are good in lying, and probably a brain can do that subconsciously too. As you know that is the mean ingredient of belief in religion religion. But as agnostic I don't exclude anything. Knowledge of and visions about concepts in science have changed a lot in the last 500 years and and before, that the things that are declared true in the past are not true anymore. As long it is not proven that it is impossible I keep an open mind. Anyway, thanks for the link.

This point is well made and interesting. Though there is no scientific evidence of this there are the experiences of those who have experienced them. Could it be that we just do not yet have the technology to measure what we are considering. Of course your point still stands and until that time we still do not know.

Having once died for two minutes during childbirth, I have experienced being pure energy. I am happy to report that you are still you once outside the body. It was comfortable and calm. So death does not scare me - just the process of dying. We are energy and energy does not die, it just transforms. I will be interested in seeing how the next stage of energy unfolds.

I've thought this since having an out of body experience. I was very much me but pain free. Still a medical/scientific unknown (IMHO) for both people returning from death or having OOBEs.

I do not fear death, I fear dying, I just know it is going to be painful. Now that I am 66 I know I am closer to not being here than my birth, unless we all become immortal in the next 20 years or so. I want to do many things and I may not get some of them done, so I am getting picky.

I think this is a great topic for speculation. I once had a conversation with a person who said, "Well where were you before your were born?" Realizing the question does not make any sense, perhaps asking where we go after death make no sense either. But then I might be wrong.

You might. Doubt is the core of Agnosticism.

I think about this often as I almost died last April. One cannot live without blood. Anyway while God has nothing for me I wonder about this. We live within a Universe where much has had to exist in such a detailed manner that it is hard not to think that there may be a reason for this. Perhaps we are balls of energy that hook onto some matter and come into existence, experience what we call life and then move on to some other realm. Of course this is quite egocentric which means for me that there is nothing to it, but I am considering this until I come up with something else. One reason I am here as discussion can bring ideas not thought of.

This information has no bearing on consciousness.
Though all my blood and transferable organs are placed in other living persons would I be in any sense alive? Not in any sense that could be meaningful for the individual. One may pluck a leave from a tree, Did it die? No. Is it going to die, bit by bit? Yes. Does it get any "treeing" done whilst plucked and drying? No. The problem is one of language, not biology. The categories of dead and alive are simplistic constructions, One state being the total negation of the other. Life and death are on a continuum. We don't have a time of total cellular death. We calculate or anticipate the direction on the continuum a life form is progressing. A certain set of signs meaning a point of no return. We call that dead. Not the death of every cell in the brain or body.

I like the term continuum.

+What the study is really saying is that we don't really fully understand the dying process. It simply takes longer for brain cells to die, even after they have apparently stopped functioning. Our consciousness does not go anywhere. It simply stops, although not as quickly as previously thought.

I'm not ruling out an afterlife. I'm not afraid of the prospect of no afterlife because, hey, I was dead before I was born and that wasn't a big deal. That being said, I can't help but find it odd that we're dead for billions of years, become alive for a short time, then die and lose consciousness for the rest of time. Why did my consciousness emerge at this specific time? And why is it me? Why isn't it somebody else?

You cannot be conscious of unconsciousness. That doesn't automatically mean there's an afterlife but an afterlife would be a sound conclusion regardless.

In that perspective, if you are not ruling out an afterlife, you are not sure either that you were dead before you were born. Well, I know, that's part of the afterlife of reincarnation. Still some afterlife though.

Many hospitals have put a stuffed toy, or an open book, on top of cupboards. Somewhere they can't be seen from standing on the floor, but would be seen if you floated up.
Have not heard of anyone who 'floated up' while they were dead seeing these test objects.
So, seeing the operating room while you are dead is probably a hallucination based on hearing what is happening and your brain creating an image.

Allan Level 5 Feb 10, 2018

Who knows? 🙂

Except while having an Out of Body Experience I was able to describe the nurse who was wearing one of those old nursing hats (which was so weird? I hadn't seen one in years) to my sister afterwards. I was not conscious while that nurse was in the room. My sister was seated next to me.
I file it under "Unknown".

clutching at straws

I don't think so. These kind of scientists are not serving religion. At least I can't imagine that. It's good that science investigates these things too. Not taking one or the other or granted. It's still interesting what they discovered. Who knows what they will find in the future.

There is simply no way for anyone to know what happens after you die because your are dead and can no longer communicate with the living. Unless your believe in mediums. Anything said about it is pure speculation. (In My Humble Opinion)

unless you look at the dead person when they are dead and realize they are dead ! do not pass go etc/

Well, "the knowing" is not the point. Everybody will know if there is still some awareness. It's the communication part that sucks.

When your dead your bloody well brown bread !! How can consciousness live on ?? What signs have you seen ?? Something on YouTube ???

hovis

If you question how consciousness can live on, you don't know. When you don't know, you don't know. It's simple as that I guess.

Ok interesting but likely to be misinterpreted based on the title. Your consciousness does not shift to some other realm of existence, it just Continues to function until the cells die- like a chicken with its head cut off.

Beat me to it.

Well, I'm agnostic, so I value that I don't know. I'm doubtful though.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22883
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.