Agnostic.com

90 5

Is it possible to fall in love with someone with opposing political views?

Is it possible to fall in love with someone with opposing political views? I was asked this question today and found it rather difficult to answer and dependent upon the definition of 'love'.

Grumpy 5 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

90 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. You will wake up one day look over and ask yourself, "What the fuck was I thinking!"

I love a good debate and would rather be with someone who knows their own mind regardless if I agreed or not

No way. Political views are a proxy for empathy, and I couldn't abide someone without empathy.

Orbit Level 7 Dec 11, 2018

With love comes mutual respect (in my book at least). I'm not sure I have an answer for you. Still thlnking about it.

I will fall in love to a beautiful person. Beautiful means to me to have enough good character in you
This could differ from person to person what you are lookin for.

Everything you don‘t like, as example political or religious views and ambitions, opposite life style, musical taste etc. makes the person uglier in your eyes, even if it’s optical the most beautiful person.

I will enjoy my relationship, without stressful conversations.

Yucel Level 3 Dec 14, 2018

If you are shallow and truly do not think about things in depth, then yes.

EMC2 Level 8 Dec 16, 2018

in the US probably not...everywhere else it is probably fine

Of course it is, as long as you don't talk about it.

Absolutely. Request res utmost maturity and acceptance of partner, who entitled to their own opinion without judgement,

There is no love in politics lol!

I think it's possible, but it depends on how important political views are to you. Can you discuss politics with someone with an opposing viewpoint calmly even if you don't agree? If you are die-hard and passionate about certain viewpoints and stances that they don't agree with, can you agree to disagree and not harbor resentment? I think it depends on how you both feel about politics and if it will be a point of contention. You have to let the political views be second to your relationship. I do think this is possible. If there is someone you have in mind right now, think about all the qualities you like and dislike. Do the pros outweigh the cons and can you live with the negatives (there will always be negatives because no one is perfect)?

Possible? Yes. Likely to last? From my experience, sadly no.

I know of a staunch Republican and a staunch democrat who have been married for 48 years so I supposed so.

Fall in love, maybe. Have a long-term meaningful relationship, I doubt it. But, it depends upon the gap between your views, how strongly each person holds their views, why they hold their views, and other factors. If I wanted to find someone who shares my political views closely and was female, my target market would consist of only .0003% of the world's population. Or, in the U.S.A., only about .01% of the population. Of course, if I wanted it bad enough, I know where to find some...

If one's definition of love doesn't include (political) values, then yes of course.

I think you can. And may open to a debate for when the couple is bored. Just remember what is most important... and a debate mustn't have a winner.

It's possible to fall in love with anyone. Can it be sustained if there is stark differences in religious, political, cultura, agel or language differences? I have seen relationships work with these differences, but it takes a lot of give and take, understanding and acceptance to overlook these chasms. In other words, both people have to be equally in love with each other and able to find commonalities in other areas as well as joy in each other's company. I would say that your starting the relationship with a handicap and that few can survive, but it's not impossible. One need look no further than Kellyanne Conway, Trump's most loyal supporter and her husband, who lambasts Trump on social media on a regular basis.

Yes why not

I guess one can FALL in love, but, maybe not STAY in love. especially if one has very strong points of views, one way or another. just my opinion.

Keech Level 5 Jan 1, 2019

For me I'm pretty sure the answer is NO. I consider political views to be a deal maker or breaker.

Some of my best friends are Republicans (not really - while it isn't a friendship deal breaker it does make it much harder. ) but I sure as hell wouldn't be able to marry one.

Not sure. Depends on if the person it tolerant or not of opposing viewpoints. For me, yes, For close minded folks, not so much. Just depends on your vantage point 🙂

I not sure theres an easy answer, ive dated several women with dissimilar postions but not tadical differences. I do know i was rather involved sexually with a conservative gal and we decided no politics but that was the start of trumpitis..... after 6-8 months i started sitting on my hands. I very honest snd direct and i could no longer hold my tongue ..... ironic as she loved oral pleasure but the tension kept building up and we lost each other as lovers snd friends. In spite of the news it was a loss

Politics lol you can't really tell between them. The same. Just focus if he/she has big ones.

Depends on how serious you both are about politics . I want to say yes that it is possile but results may very because everyone is different .

Yes wrong religion,wrong race, wrong ethics and wrong politics

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:228975
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.