Agnostic.com

90 5

Is it possible to fall in love with someone with opposing political views?

Is it possible to fall in love with someone with opposing political views? I was asked this question today and found it rather difficult to answer and dependent upon the definition of 'love'.

Grumpy 5 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

90 comments (76 - 90)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Paula Abdul: Opposites Attract!

Respect is needed for love to flourish..........so that is a question you will have to carefully evaluate for yourself!

Its possible especially if you don't give a crap about politics.

Of course it is possible! Making such a partnership last might be a huge challenge, however, as opposing views can cause a lot of strain! Love is not logical, but the management of every day life would probably infringe upon the emotion!

My take is that it is possible to fall in lust with anyone’s body. Falling in love involves a meeting of the minds. There can, basically will, be differences such as atheist with Methodist, or Catholic with lutheran, or Democrat with republican (old style, say circa 1950). But you cannot match a person of reason with a superstitious fanatic, say trumper with a human being, or a PTL devotee with an atheist. Those are doomed from the start and forever.

That happened to me once. Only the woman turned out to be a fundamentalist Christian fruitcake. I fell out of love real quick!

Best relationships are those which compliment each other. Lock and key.

We may see if two people can stay together with opposing views that being Kellyann Conway and George Conway. It's gonna get interesting in the days ahead will have to watch Saturday Night Live on more regular basis.

I have thought about this myself and I just don’t think I could. I could easily be a bit infatuated and certainly fancy someone but it would be unsustainable for me.

Yes, and makes for some very interesting discussions.

My parents are still together after 40 odd years - so yes 😉

I would think opposing political views would lead you with differences of fundamental values. Living and building a life with someone who has a different vision of how to live, raise offspring, and treat others, in my opinion, is not sustainable. You can call in love with someone easily, it's hard maintaining the love.

My aunt and uncle were married for 50ish years, auntie used to joke that she and uncle used to hold hands going into the polling place so they could cancel out each other's votes. She was Japanese, met uncle during the Korean war (he was stationed in Japan). There was huge anti Japanese sentiment in the US when they married, but they overcame it all. I think they had a good balance and good understanding of what was really important.

Half and half. My Dem dad John, 1904-1979, loved my born-in-Germany Repub mom Alice, 1906-1968, Her parents brought her to America and she attended high school here. After a German boyfriend who’d entered America illegally was deported, she married on the rebound. They stayed together.

Alice, a social, non-political feminist was Repub because from circa 1921 when the ERA was introduced in Congress until after she died, Repubs supported and Dems opposed the ERA.

They joked about always voting to deny either party a one-vote advantage.

Sure, but don't expect to make a long-term relationship out of it. Political preferences mirror personal principles and if your preferences are so diametrically opposed, your principles will clash to a degree that makes it impossible to coexist in the same space. I'm sure there are exceptions but this general rule applies to a majority of cases.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:228975
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.