Agnostic.com

33 2

What’s your thoughts on profanity?

EmeraldJewel 7 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don’t fucking have a fucking problem with the fucking use of fucking profanity.
You just have to be aware that there is a time and place for using it and use it appropriately.
In fact I think that all the fucking bullshit of Political Correctness is going to be the fucking death of us all.

PROFANE -- etymology

pro (Latin) in exchange for
fanum (Latin) temple

profanus (Latin) outside the temple, not sacred

profane (late Middle English) heathen

So you te ll me. What are your thoughts?

@Stevil To some people, but their sensibilities aren't offended. My grandson complained to me one day, "My stinking sister came in my stinking room and took my stinking CD" and oncandbon. Told him (he was maybe 10) that he couldn't talk like that. "Stinkin isn't a bad word." But I told him it was because of the way he was using it.

I found it interesting that the word profane evolved from religion, or in this case lack of religion.

I will say you probably shouldn't call ladies that have the power to hunt you up and take money out of your paycheck before you get it and scream and swear at them. Just sayin'.

1. Words, in and of themselves have no power
  2. Perceived word power is on behalf of the perceiver. The listener has to choose whether or no to be offended, regardless of the intent. I have better things to do with my time than being perpetually offended.
  3. Many in society will judge. Such is a "perk" of freedom. Those who opt to use profane language have to be able to roll with those who will choose to be offended by it. Both sides have the right.
  4. There can be times when a terrible word really meets the need. I prefer to not use the "golden biggie" (thanks Mr. Carlin) casually, reserving it for such circumstances.
  5. Overuse of profanity, IMO, shows a lack of creativity. Can't you come up with a less tiresome word than that?
  6. I actually APPRECIATE some profanity, especially in certain comedy dialogue. When censored, a lot of these movies/shows lack flavor. I actually like filth to have the original dirt in it!

As to the original post. No, the prevalence of public profanity does not really bother me, except to say that "fuck" has somewhat lost its impact through overuse, which is unfortunate. I think society needs to choose its next "golden biggie".

Zster Level 8 Feb 11, 2018

I think number 7 would be that if everyone stopped using all words we classify as profanity entirely, there would be a new set of the "worst words" that would then become profane. It is another iteration of a euphemism treadmill. Sad people can't realize that and drop the whole debate.

There is jus no standards anymore.

Leon Level 5 Feb 16, 2018

There is jus no standards anymore.

Leon Level 5 Feb 16, 2018

Some times you need to use smooth language, and other time coarse language. And coarse language is much easier to understand.

Well shit, I don't fucking know!! Why the hell do you have to ask such god damned complicated questions? Jesus fucking Christ!!

Seriously, though, I look at it this way -- they are just words. I give them no power. Those who are offended by them give them the power. They are part of my vocabulary, so I use them. A lot. Particularly if I happen to be talking about something about which I am passionate or if the conversation is such that I have become agitated.

Generally speaking, I do not use profanity at work because of the office policy forbidding "offensive language." An exception would be when I am having a private conversation with another person or group who I am certain would not be offended, and we are out of earshot of others. After all, if the only ones who can hear it are individuals who are not offended, then for the purpose of that group, it is not "offensive language."

There are no good words and no bad words. There are just words. It's not up to me to avoid the use of words to which other people take exception. That said, in someone else's domain, if I am specifically asked to not use a certain word or to "keep it clean" I will generally respect that person's wishes.

For example, when my mother was still alive, I would never, ever use profanity in her presence. In the 46 years I knew her before she died, I can count on zero hands the number of times I heard her cuss. I do distinctly remember, though, how much trouble I got into as a youngster for using the word "hell." I do not recall exactly what I said, but I wasn't using it in context of heaven vs. hell. It was more along the lines of saying, "That was cool as hell!"

I should have used the word "heck."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23115
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.