Agnostic.com

34 7

Who loves to cook?

So far this is proving to be a most excellent site for the sharing of ideas. And I have lots of subjects to discuss!
But I love cooking and in my experiences, those who love to cook and bake also love to talk about what they cook and bake.
I myself especially love to bake and I've perfected my banana bread and sickerdoodles! So bring it on! What is or are your specialties!
Why I bake for others...
[m.huffpost.com]

Freespirit64 8 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love to cook. Brought up two lids on my own so had too. They're grown now but I still cook for 3 or 4 and freeze it.
My current faves are Indian vegan food - I'm not vegan but I got a an Indian vegan cook book and the stuff I've been making from it is awesome.
Make my own kimchi too 🙂

Could you let me know the book title? I cook a lot of Indian food from passed down recipes, and could do with more variety!

Ditto. Not vegan or veggie, but cook lots of veggie dishes 'cos I like them!

@Dav87 Madhur Jeffrey's Indian Cuisine. She is one of my favorites, presenting northen and southern Indian recipes.

We have 2 Indian restaurants in town. But I've got a tender tummy and I've been afraid!

@Freespirit64
No need to be afraid of Indian food, contrary to popular belief, lots of is isn't hot and spicy.

There are lots of more delicate dishes that are easy on the tummy. Chat to the staff, tell them your concerns and ask what they recommend.

Not everyone goes in to order the hottest thing on the menu.

@Uncorrugated thanks for the tip! I'll screw up my courage....

The cookbook I use is. Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen. Great book lots of easy recipes

I love to, all sorts of everything 🙂 Not a big baker though, I am more of a savory not sweet food person.

Sacha Level 7 Feb 11, 2018

Like what?

I like to bake pies. My favorites are Sweet Potato, and Key Lime.
I also like to cook Mexican dishes.

Yum! Love Sweet Potato pie and I could eat Mexican food five days a week.

@BlueWave, you have very good taste. 🙂

I make a mean chicken enchilada!

I do. I don't claim to be terribly good at it but it's fun. I'm a big fan of Alton Brown and America's Test Kitchen. Cooking is such a great convergence of science and art. I love to bake and I too make a quality banana bread. It's a recipe from an America's test kitchen cook book. I've made it so many times I don't have to look at the recipe. My latest forays have been in the world of the instant pot and sou vide cooking. One of the best steaks I've ever had I made sou vide. I've only made mashed potatoes in the instant pot. My youngest daughter has decided to go vegetarian so I'll be exploring that. Any tips in that regard would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Try substituting walnuts for meat in chile. The taste and texture are amazing.

I just got instapot too, little intimidated by it 🙂

Alton Brown is one of my favorite cooking personalities. His scientific approach to baking actually helped me improve my skills.

I make the best spaghetti all carbonara the world has ever seen ! Of course my fegato all Veneziana is a close second .

I go back and forth with Italian and Mexican being my favorite foods. Now I'm looking up these recipes.

I cook, single dad, had to learn. Baking is more creative for me, worked in a bakery as a teen, and enjoyed what I learned.

So what are you especially proud of?

I like cooking meals from scratch, but my go to is stir-fry. Just about anything can go in there, and there isn't much room to mess up aside from how much sauce you use.

I also make a great key-lime pound cake. It fits for just about any occasion, and the sour taste really makes it for me.

Mmmmmm....that cake sounds good.

So...would you share that key lime recipie????

@Freespirit64 Here is the recipe I follow:

[myrecipes.com]

@Sheitelhau
Thank you! I'm trying it!

Vegan richa's indian kitchen by richa hingle. Search her out on YouTube as well 🙂

Thanks buddy! You're a diamond!

I love to cook. Just this morning I was making some eggs and I even flipped them in the pan no spatula required. See? My dad did teach me a few things.

I worked as a prep cook at a restaurant here and found out (after attempting to show off) that I couldn't flip eggs...or anything in the pans they had. They were too damned heavy! Ended up looking like an ass...lol. But I'm an excellent flipper in my own kitchen!

I used to love cooking but I found that cooking for myself has little reward, I want to cook for the family that I no longer have or for the friends that no longer come by. I now have a small apt with little space for prep work so cooking is difficult. I had a problem with my back where I couldnt stand for more than a few minutes but I had spinal fusion surgery so now I can stand but still no space. lets try cooking together, my preference is italian but ill try almost anything.

My way of showing love is to cook you something!

@Freespirit64 i finally moved, i bought a dbl wide in a 55+ park in mesa, and i have a kitchen. im going in for surgery in 10days and i should be like a new old man. i would like for us to chat a bit to see if we have some compatibility, lets.....Rick

I love to cook also. I like to try new things and particular like going out to restaurants(occasionally) having something I haven't tried before and then going home and duplicating the recipes. Whenever I make something following a recipe for the first time, I try to follow the recipe/directions, ingredients and then make my tweaks. I do like to bake and I am a good baker, mostly cakes, pies, tea breads but have to watch it as I am also insulin dependent. My taste in food and how I prepare and cook food has evolved 1000 per cent since I first started cooking almost 42 years ago.

Lynda Level 1 Feb 11, 2018

I do that all the time -- find the copycat recipes of restaurant foods. My chili Colorado is my copycat to Tito's Tacos' (Culver City, California) beef burrito. I also do their salsa. And Cheesecake Factory's brown bread.

Yes. I'm always looking for new recipes and ways to put my spin on things. It's a fun hobby.

Still on vacation with fellow site member we both like to cook and bake. Collaberative efforts have included baked stuffed flounder, and breakfast burritos.

Breakfast burritos....yuuuummmmm

Love you are having a Blast!!!!

Currently on a very lo-carb diet so I've had to get very creative. Made some chicken and then turkey soups that were pretty easy. Water, meat, bouillon cubes, onions, garlic, black pepper, a little salt, crushed up some dried, spicy red peppers for a kick and green beans with the chicken and broccoli with the turkey. Boiled and then simmered. Very cold up here right now so it hit the spot! Have 5 or 6 more servings for later in the freezer.

My fav dish is grilled fresh Bluefish, grilled potatoes and asparagus..seved with a Lavender sauce..pare it with a a slightly dry Reisling..for an app perhaps a tuna carppacio..or beef..I love escargot so I usually serve that..

Just stop! It sounds too good!

@kmdskit3 oh it is...mmmm

You are mean, mean, mean...

@kmdskit3 noooooooo..

@kmdskit3 want the recipe?

Everything except for the snails...

Will you marry me ?

@MarcIveson
Bwaaaahaaaahaaa..marriage?..oh hell no..once was more than enough..and Thanks for the offer!

@Charlene Live in sin ???

Wow! Several levels above my expertise...sounds awesome...you gourmet you...

@MarcIveson maybe..if you make 250k..lol

In the past week I’ve made: beef stew, two loaves of banana bread (one choc chip), fudge, sugar cookies with thumbprint choc chip and melted chocolate drizzle, and pot roast. I live to cook and bake.

Torn between not wanting to hear about your goodies and wanting a care package when I'm done being lo-carb...

@kmdskit3 I also do a mean batch of choc chip cookies that, if properly contained, stay moist and chewy for up to a week. 😀

STOP IT! You evil tempter! 😉

@525600minutes Can I get in line for the chocolate chip cookies?? 🙂

Oh man...you're talking my language...

I do, but not as enthusiastic about cleaning up. I'm not very accomplished as I've just been cooking for 1 for about 30 years. But I please myself. lol

I wish I could... I sure do not. My son specialty is Thanksgiving Turkey... his is more moist than his mom. He cooked it once... was perfect so he never cook it again. Retiring the dish while on top. Atta boy!!!!

Cooking, baking, frying, grilling... I may not be especially good at any of it, but I absolutely love to do it. J. Kenji Lopez-Alt is my cooking muse, and I own The Food Lab book... that thing is indispensable. Flavor Bible, BraveTart, Zahav, and How to Cake It or my "next cookbooks" list.

I have to admit that I'm rather terrible at creating my own recipes (I absolutely try, and what I make can be good, but it's so simple... partly why I want the Flavor Bible so badly), but I'm a pro at following recipes and then making my own tweaks to them (I love experimenting with box brownie mixes and Bisquick pancakes and waffles). I collect recipes, so please... send me yours!

ETA: Cooking can also be a very relaxing thing to do for me... it definitely helps with my anxiety and stress... I'm not sure why, though...

ETA 2: OOH! We got a 6-in-1 Instant Pot for Hannukah (my family is Jewish... Dad is clergy, in fact, and yes, while I'm 30, I live with them at the moment... I was on my own through college, but rent is expensive and at the moment I'm unemployed)! It's only been used once, though. I'm trying to figure out how to get creative with it. We made an orange chicken meal in it that was, while a bit soupy, quite delicious.

I'd be happy to share recipes...it's what I do!

Especially with all fresh ingredients and no salts or substitutes. Am learning how to savor soups and stews and what spices and herbs bring out the flavor. I just got into making Oatmeal Pancakes with Corn meal and non gluten other. Bananas and Apples with cinnamon and Apple Butter in between. my other is Oatmeal Cookies with Bananas instead of sugar.

I'd be interested in those banana recipies..what good ideas

You cook, I eat.

Here at Agnostic. com, we have a group called Food Glorious Food. Look us up and join.

I will...Thanks!

Beetroot, chilli, artichoke and sunflower seed salad.

Thsts a new one for me! How do I love beets? My mother fed canned beets to us weekly and they were vile!

I love to cook things I haven't tried yet! Sometimes they turn out great others they really flop.

I love to cook especially for friends and co-workers. I began cooking at an early age. My mom assigned a weekday to me and my brother. We planned the meal and gave mom the shopping list then we were on our own.

There are 2 things that I cannot make - biscuits and pie crust.

Snickerdoodles are my favorite cookie, but I'm having difficulty perfecting a recipe.

I've spent many moons perfecting the snickerdoodle! I don't know what your requirements are, but for my own tweak...try using all brown sugar in the dough and extra cinnamon with the white when rolling them....

@Freespirit64

I think I'm close. I tried tweaking the measurements and order of ingredients this week. Several people at work called them 'the best snickerdoodle ever'. They were good but could be better. I'll try all brown sugar next time. Thanks for the suggestion.

@PhoebeCat
There's also much debate over baking soda vs baking powder and cream of tartar. But baking powder is basically soda and tartar...so that's what I've been using. Good luck!

I love to cook and bake!

If you've truly perfected banana bread -- very banana-y, and very moist, I would LOVE the recipe. 🙂

I think my bests are: Chile Colorado; 7 Bean Chili; Spaghetti Sauce [or, as they say in Louisiana, "Red Gravy"] ; Pot Roast [crock pot]; Lemon Lush; and Baked Salmon [very simple recipe].

It is very hard for me to make something and not critique it to death, but for those listed, I'm usually pretty happy with the results.

If I answered twice...my phone's being weird. I make 5 bean chili...what are your 7? And I will message you my banana bread recipe!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23147
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.