Agnostic.com

16 0

What are some of your favourite responses to the watchmaker argument?

What are some of your favourite responses to the watchmaker argument? Either from yourself or others you've heard. Asking because it gets exhausting repeating myself after a while, though I still do it because I welcome dissent and debate and enjoy the act of intellectually engaging with another person. My arguments against the watchmaker argument have essentially evolved into either:

A: A short debunk followed by "and even if it were proof that a god exists, it only proves that the universe had a creator, not the creator you purport it to be

or

B: No debunk, instead, to preserve my sanity and not repeat myself for what surely would be the millionth time, entertaining the idea that the universe had a creator, and follow it up with the same "it only proves that the universe had a creator, not the creator you purport it to be"

Brian_Blum 4 Nov 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What do I think if I find a watch laying on a path
Some clumsy bugger has given me some ebay stock.
Still doesn't prove there is a god, just careless people

1. Laugh at there use of the watchmaker argument.
  2. With laughing disbelief ask them if they really want to continue that line of 'logic' when any reasonably educated 10 year old can refute it
  3. On those rare occasions someone will continue, they'll ask you to explain why you're laughing at their proposition.
  4. You've then moved the conversation to a discussion of fallicies (special pleading)

So, where’s the watch? What can proponents of this idea point to in the natural world that is so dramatically different from the rest of nature that it can’t be explained by natural law and mechanics? We don’t need no watchmaker!

People that use the watchmaker argument are looking at things backwards. They look at complexity and think that it couldn’t have happened on its own when they never even proved that it couldn’t. It’s arrogant.

Math can very easily get complex. That doesn’t mean a god created math. Because that shit will still be true with or without a deity. 1+1 will always equal 2 with or without god. Science, like math, can get complex too and it doesn’t require a deity. Science is simply following math.

Another point I’d like to make which I feel is on a similar subject is this: in any universe, there inevitably may be some form of life that arises. They will always think they are special when it just so happens that existence is large enough to allow it. It might be extremely unlikely for a particular person to win the lottery yet someone always does. Extremely unlikely things happen all the time.

Creationists think that a creator designed things that were fitted specifically for us when in actuality we evolved to fit those things, not the other way around.

I’m rambling now but I think that covers all the points I wanted to get across.

The Duckbilled Platypus. Knee joints.

Just say that you agree and the creator is Insert a divinity from a religion that will make the believer in question spin And watch him using arguments that you can simply copy to your divinity.
After some time you show that

1. There is no argument that says the watchmaker is a defined divinity.
  2. Most of examples they will use for ireductible complexity are already know and broken into reductible continuous steps
  3. The incapacity of the one that is discussing or even the not knowing of science, does not allow him/her (by logic) to explain that with the desired divinity

In the watchmaker argument you have parts of something you see and know about being assembled into something else. This is to appeal to your logic but evolution does not work that way.

OK, I was walking along one day and I found a bat wing. I knew instantly that this was proof of Batman.

If I was walking on a beach and came across a watch I would think "what kind of idiot God makes a beautiful beach and then causes people to litter it?".

It depends on what type of watchmaker is proposed. Is it a, A fundamentalist christian who says that all the species are immutable and therefore come straight out of the workplace? or b, An R&D watchmaker who sets up conditions that they know will lead to a good watch then lets everything just happen?
In other words, do they say that god created everything wholesale or was evolution his method?
The former is easy to dispel. Fossil evidence showing the development of species which do not appear in the same time line as each other. I need not go into darwinism here except to add malaria and earthworms. One has evolved to stay alive despite all of mans attempts to eradicate it. The other has evolved to survive in toxic environments thus becoming a new species in our timeline.
The latter is harder to dispel but here goes. When looking at this we are in a similar predicament as some chess nuts I heard of. What they do is look at a chess position that may be in a photo on a magazine or somewhere. Then they then try and recreate a game that could have plausibly led to that position. (You think that youre nerdy lol). If so then there are a lot of discarded pieces in this game. Dinosaurs, neathatals and countless others that have not made the cut. It also presupposes the game is over, when it is not. Pieces are still being discarded and we may very likely be one of them. Are we then protected somewhat like the king and never taken? It would seem to asque the whole point of evolution if we were to be invulnerable to its most effective tool? So what part of our dominion over the earth that the bible tells is ours accounts for our possible destruction? The proposition that all this was done so that we may end up where we are is convoluted at best. Much more plausible is that we could have had an infinite number of positions and this was just the one we got to here and now.

Concentrate on biology; we’re all related, we randomly mutate, and it’s those mutations (over time most humans can’t comprehend) that have led to every living thing. We’ve evolved, we’re not static; consider the fossil record, explain the hominids having lived before us…

Varn Level 8 Nov 27, 2018

I walk away from useless discussions.

But what is the fun of doing this =).
Sometimes you just want to see the world burn XD

@Pedrohbds You are young! I am old and quite worn out from useless discussions and confrontations that do not lead anywhere.

@Spinliesel fight on the mud with a pig and a useless discussion with me, when you are tired after a lot of time, you understand that your opponent like it XD.

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Douglas Adams

Yer 19, why aren't you out being wild and discovering the world? I'd be disappointed if my lads were chatting to a load of middle aged ppl online. There is no god...go and enjoy being 19.

...part of what sparked my atheism was having listened to such debates on the occasional bus ride home from college.. Let him rip 😀

@Varn I accept that, I just think there is a lot of living to do at 19 and it goes by so fast.

@Amisja ..but there’s so much to prepare himself for, and it takes longer to get to our level 🙂

@Varn Do we share a 'level'? Oh knickers how did that happen? I thought I was a young whipper snapper!

@Amisja I think after we’ve produced kids … we’re all near the same level 😉

@Varn oh groan that's me done then! Officially a codger!

I usually ask them, along with any other argument, if that was the argument that made them believe, or if they believed before they heard the watch argument. I think most people would say that wasn't the argument that convinced them. Them just keep asking what it is. The truth is, no one logics themselves from the arguments into Christianity, it usually comes down to feeling, emotion, maybe they would say personal relationship. Then I have the conversation about that.

I would say that for any creator to have made that watch, they had to follow laws of nature to make it, therefore that creator is subject to laws, & no true omnipotent creator is subject to laws. Therefore aliens.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:232201
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.