Agnostic.com

12 2

Do you think, poor uneducated homeless people deserve protection their human dignity? Many people in positions if influence really think the opposite.

Humanlove 7 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I personally know someone who kept himself clean (by which I mean physically, he was never on drugs to start with) and got a lot of qualifications done while he was homeless. It's called a no fixed address form. That's just a response to the uneducated. Of course the homeless deserve their human rights as much as anyone else.

Excellent point.
The way to really help the poor is to help them not to be impoverished anymore. This is done by giving them a minimum income that is essential for their needs. Sounds simple.
People can be better educated, again it takes effort from them and us.
We have problems here with over educated people being unemployable so the educations needs to be at 2 levels, basic living skills, the three "R" s plus computer literacy and some other skills, then some vocational education in areas of skill shortages.
Housing costs are just ridiculous where I live, prices just never stop going up, I keep telling people to move to less expensive areas to find work and more affordable housing. Decentralization is certainly part of the answer.
But nothing will happen without the will of the average person via our politicians. We can solve the problems, but we won't, and I for one am sick on constantly applying band aids.

Here in the rural areas, we do not see many homeless people, but sometimes I meet them at DD early in the morning. We buy them coffee and donuts and include them in our conversations. One guy told me he is trying hard to think of an offence that would l;and him in the country jail for the winter, but no longer. He was a very fun
ty guy. He must have succeeded in his plan, becaise one day he did not show up anymore.

There's only one thing that I am willing to go to jail, that's if there's no any available option to escape it . Standing up for my dignity, freedom and liberty. That's the only thing and even with that,I don't wish for jail.

@0752532706 From what I have observed is that, dignity, freedom and liberty are meaningless words when you are facing another day outside in upstate New York; and freezing to death is a real possibility. I always wished that I had had the guts to offer them the couch in my living room., but I did not.

A lot of the homeless have some kind of mental illness. Schizophrenia,bipolar disorder etc. They need help and everyone should be treated with dignity.

I have seen an enormous increase in the number of people with mental illness in the past 20 years, this indicates to me that society is doing something wrong, to cause the mental illness or ineffectively treat it. Not my field at all, but I do bump into this a lot.

I think the homeless are generally poor, not necessarily under educated. Circumstances of downward mobility vary, however in the richest country in the world there is no excuse to have people living on the streets.There are too many other options for housing and care. Among the homeless population there is a great deal of untreated mental illness which needs to be addressed. But all people deserve to be treated with dignity and compassion.

Still on vacation I have encountered many homeless people. They deserve to have a safe place to pitch their tent, sleeping bag and belongings. Why can't a city allow a vacant lot to be used as a camp? In this city they are barricading empty lots with barbed wire. Sad

Seriously..

Because nobody wants to live next to them. Sad but true!

It's really a shame, because especially in this economy so many people are a paycheck away from being homeless. I bet some wealthy entitled people my know people like that but aren't even aware of their financial status. Some people may not have the support of friends or family or may have experienced other setbacks that may have compromised their financial situation. It can happen to anyone at any time, so who is anyone to judge.

There are no simple answers for a complicated issue.

I knew a young homeless guy who just wanted to be left alone and do his own thing (drink). He would do odd jobs to get money to spend it on booze. He found a job on a tramp steamer and made his way to Mexico where he got into a bar fight and was stabbed to death. A lot of homelessness is addiction related and they don't want help. It's hard to give dignity where it is not wanted.

True, but even that is just an estimated 25-40% in the country where I live. The bulk of the remaining ~60-75 percent are comprised of people who are mentally ill in some other way, underage LGBTQ and/or abused children who have run away, adults who have run away from abusive situations (some extremely co-dependent, though others not), children born to homeless parents, or people who have lost their homes to natural disasters, war, medical bills, or poverty.

@IntoTheMist When my late partner first came to Seattle she was a substitute teacher and found a job at an urban school. The first day she come home a bit shocked. It seems a large portion of the students were homeless (she came from being a director for a wealthy private school in Dallas). It turns out these kids were the most well behaved. The school was the one stable place in their lives and they didn't want to mess it up. Homelessness can also be a learned behavior.

I am sorry for your loss. I would argue that anyone who would choose learned homelessness/learned helplessness for an extended period of time is probably suffering from some sort of disorder---possibly a personality disorder, which can be very difficult or impossible to treat if the person does not see a problem with their behavior, but this would be a medical issue nonetheless.

@IntoTheMist Unfortunately, for kids they don't have a choice. For some, my sister was one, they are put in that situation. In Seattle the price of housing has gone through the roof. A journalist has said his modest home's prop. taxes went up $1,856 more than last year. Given the huge influx of poor immigrants the situation gets even worse. Right now Seattle has one of the highest homeless situations in the country. And how does the city want to deal with that; spend more money which they get by raising property. taxes!

It's not even just people in positions of influence, at least not on a large scale. Occasionally, I'll even see homeless-shaming memes on social media, and it is so incredibly discouraging. Once it was from an MBA who is now a middle manager and used to be homeless himself, and another time, it was from a disabled former RN.

It might be a good idea to stop electing opportunistic narcissists, who are high on ambition but low on compassion.

Good luck with that.

I'm for that. But to do that, people would have to, you know, actually research the candidates....

gasp of horror

Everyone deserves to be treated with human dignity...at least until they prove otherwise. 🙂

marga Level 7 Feb 11, 2018

The only reason for government us to protect the most vulnerable.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23258
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.