Agnostic.com

12 6

Do I have the most Non-Confrontational FB Christian friends?

So, some of you may remember that about three weeks ago I posted, for the first time, a clearly obvious non-believer meme on FB. I was wondering what kind of response I was going to get from my Christian family and friends, and many of you commented with friendly advice on how to handle the comments.

Results: Zero replies/comments LOL

I have, since then, posted twice. Only likes or comments from these posts are from friends of this site.

Today I posted two videos, very much in your face. One by Hitchens "The True Core of the Jesus Myth" and "Sam Harris" brilliantly destroys religious arguments". No replies or comments from any of my 177 friends.

What's going on? LOL

So this is what I think, either all my FB friends that would have challenged me, have already un-followed me, because of the 2016 campaign and election posts (good possibility), OR I have the nicest, most accepting, non-confrontational friends. 🙂

I'm a little disappointed. What do you think?

BeeHappy 9 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm guessing if they see the content - they're just going right past it. It's what I do when someone post thoughts and prayers.

It's being civil even when your beliefs differ.

Oh and they probably roll their eyes Really Hard. I do that.

they like you so they don't want to fall out with you ???

Perhaps.

I think it probably is true of most of us. I don’t have any friends that I’m aware of who will confront me for my beliefs, and I don’t like being confrontational either. I don’t believe it’s my right to question anyone’s beliefs and so I don’t go out of my way to convince anyone else they are wrong until they try to convert me. I think most people, my friends included, think the same way.

I'm starting to think that same thing. Thank you for your comments.

Just my personal experience speaking here, of course, but most fire-and-brimstone types of any belief are fairly new converts. They've found something new and wonderful and want to share. That leads to defensiveness when everyone doesn't agree. Most people who have spent their entire lives in a churched environment are generally live-and-let-live in regards to other's beliefs.

Thanks, that makes sense.

There are many different flavors of fundamentalism. Your "friends" are maybe not the hellfire-and-brimstone, sawdust-trail types. They may be more the midwestern "if you haven't got something nice to say, don't say it" types. If they know you well, and you're a person of good character, in my experience they can just be confused, trying to reconcile your apostasy with your good works, since they "know" that "all" atheists are evil, conniving, god-haters. Especially if you're a deconvert and they knew you as a believer. This is what happened in my extended family, I've been out of the faith for a quarter century and they still think this is all just a temporary misunderstanding and that I'll come around eventually. Besides, they are all "once saved, always saved" types, and those will go through some mental gymnastics to explain your unbelief if they knew you well as a believer. If they didn't know you as a believer they'll just deny you ever were one.

That makes sense. I hadn't thought about it like that. Thanks.

Well, Bee, believe it or not, there ARE some Christians with a "live and let live" attitude. We're out there, but because of our tolerance for others of other religions, we don't say much and don't get the headlines. Maybe your friends like you so much that it doesn't matter. OR maybe your posts gave them food for thought. I personally enjoy reading atheist perspectives; otherwise,how would I understand them? I may not agree with Dawkins, but at least I can understand and respect his side.

I recently watched a video called, "15 Stupid Things Christians Say To Atheists". I just shook my head at their thoughtlessness, relieved that I was guilty of only one. But I LEARNED from the video and am the better for it.

Thank you! I appreciate your comments.

You sound intelligent and open-minded. I agree with you that there are many tolerant and intelligent Christians who, as you said, are not given a lot of attention.

They are planning an Intervention.

Bingo.They're going to ambush you one of these days soon.

Thanks @phil21 and @Condor5, I'll be on the lookout. Lol 🙂

@BeeHappy I don't know about Condor, but I've been given 30 pieces of silver to help with the surprise party.

@phil21 LOLOLOLOLOL! VERY funny!

@phil21, or should I say Judas? Thanks for your honesty, but it won't save you. Also, stay away from trees! 🙂

@phil21 whaaaat? All I got was a beer. One stinkin' beer.

@BeeHappy Yeah, but I have the best role in Jesus Christ Superstar!

I can't argue with that. Lol

@phil21 Jesus Christ Superstar -- that takes me back to my high school days. I like the songs "I Don't Know to Love Him" and "Everything's Alright"\

I'm pretty sure my believer friends have blocked most of my posts, as I have blocked theirs.

That's a strong possibility.

Hey BeeHappy'
Probably apathy is what's happening, but I have had similar experiences on FB.
I think apathy is such a large part of our culture.... that DJ Trump is in the White House ! Just be you !

You may be right.

Nothing unusual there, even my Facebook friends that are Christians are more likely to post something nasty about the whole "1 like = prayer" thing than rag me about blatantly atheist posts and at times sacrilegious jokes, do get a few shares though. Mind you I have a lot of atheist and agnostic friends.

Kimba Level 7 Feb 12, 2018

Oh, yes, I despise those "one like = prayer, forward = 100 prayers, like and forward = 1,000 prayers"; and the CHAIN LETTERS that tell you to forward to show Jesus you believe and you'll get a. blessing or fail to send it and something terrible will happen. When I receive them, I call out the sender and tell them how stupid it is.

@Lewellyn3 I sometimes used to do that, but only by posting a meme that makes fun of that custom, not mocking any of my well-meaning Christian friends directly. I already defriended the more hateful alt-right ones.

always be respectful !

@JackNewman Oh, I'm always respectful. But I show them how utterly ridiculous that notion is. Like = 100 prayers? No, its just a push of the like button, so you don't have to spend time praying 100 prayers! Its a tactic used to avoid putting time praying for someone you don't really know or care about. Most come around and see the magic thinking and promise to quit.

No surprise to me. I have several Christian friends who are in fact quite liberal and are as upset with the xian-right as you and me. They understand that we are all more alike than we are different.

I have mostly liberal friends, but also xians. Thought they would react differently.

I'm leaning toward them already "unfollowing" your liberal posts, as was likely done to me; most of my childhood MK (missionary kid) friends left never post anything, comment, or react to my liberal stuff.

I've already defriended the vocal ones, who were posting hate memes against minorities.

That's what I'm thinking.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23456
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.