8 10

LINK The science is clear: dirty farm water is making us sick

"The culprit turned out to be E. coli, a powerful pathogen that had contaminated romaine lettuce grown in Yuma, Arizona, and distributed nationwide. At least 210 people in 36 states were sickened. Five died and 27 suffered kidney failure. The same strain of E. coli that sickened them was detected in a Yuma canal used to irrigate some crops.

For more than a decade, it’s been clear that there’s a gaping hole in American food safety: Growers aren’t required to test their irrigation water for pathogens such as E. coli. As a result, contaminated water can end up on fruits and vegetables.

After several high-profile disease outbreaks linked to food, Congress in 2011 ordered a fix, and produce growers this year would have begun testing their water under rules crafted by the Obama administration’s Food and Drug Administration.

But six months before people were sickened by the contaminated romaine, President Donald Trump’s FDA – responding to pressure from the farm industry and Trump’s order to eliminate regulations – shelved the water-testing rules for at least four years...

While postponing the water-testing rules would save growers $12 million per year, it also would cost consumers $108 million per year in medical expenses, according to an FDA analysis."

By HippieChick58
Options Favorite Like

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence, and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy

Create your free account

8 comments

Another chapter of pure and tested BS....if this were true then pretty much ALL third world countries would've been wiped out the face of the Earth by now. Or, is anyone going to make the case that those countries have such testing systems in place? They all do agriculture, don't they?

IamNobody Level 8 Dec 3, 2018

Cattle feed lots and factory pig and chicken farms are simply environmental disasters which should be illegal.

wordywalt Level 8 Dec 3, 2018

But that genius Ayn Rand said we need to let corporations do their thing and everyone will be happy! E Coli is for loserz. Thank you Archer Daniels Midland, Cargill, Monsanto and Tysons Foods, for giving us the food we deserve. smile001.gif

PalacinkyPDX Level 7 Dec 3, 2018

Seems every time it rains to excess in the areas of the hog farms,the holding tanks overflow,letting all the "Effluent" get into the ground water,contaminating it for quite a while,nearby streams and rivers become conduits for the overflow to travel. I'd imagine all livestock production areas have the same problems....

Mike1947 Level 7 Dec 3, 2018

We seldom, if ever, go out to eat. Our choice for reasons other than this. But it does make me wonder about the safety of restaurants and their food prep.

bigpawbullets Level 8 Dec 3, 2018

Thank Trump for ruining the EPA...

slydr68 Level 7 Dec 2, 2018

You mean the AgriBusiness Protection Agency?

@PalacinkyPDX They weren't that during the 12 years I worked with them...but I worked with the scientists, not the policy guys...

@slydr68 The EPA was created with the very best of intentions (by Nixon, of all people). It's been repeatedly attacked by the Republican Party since then, no more so than now. Yes, I feel bad for the employees of the EPA and even worse for the rest of us. That something like protecting the environment has become considered doctrinaire is a horrific sign of just how ultra right wing the Republican Party has become.

One of the costs of our heavy meat consumption lifestyle. Meat should be a luxury and only grass fed beef be allowed.

JackPedigo Level 8 Dec 2, 2018

Not to mention the meat and poultry industry CEOs are overwhelmingly big Trump supporters. In other words, the largest polluters support Trump because they know they'll get a free ticket to poison the earth from him (not to mention continue the gravy train of virtually free massive land grants they get for cattle grazing and chicken industrial farming).

@PalacinkyPDX I agree but I also realize this industry has been around a long time under all kinds of legislatures. Going after these industries would be very difficult considering the increasing meat consumption of the world.

Regulations and rules can be necessary and helpful especially when the quest for profits becomes overpowering.

kmdskit3 Level 8 Dec 2, 2018
Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.comis the largest non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!