Agnostic.com

40 3

What is the purpose of life?

As a non believer I often wonder about this.

• 17 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 14 votes
  • 30 votes
  • 19 votes
Akfishlady 8 Feb 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Many people have put quite sensible answers but what I think is that all those answers are linked by a common denominator, that is to transmit as much of their DNA to the next generation as possible. Making money certainly produces that effect but also making life better for others because you'll be loved by others and they'll help you to survive. Everything converges on leaving copies of our DNA and because there are many ways of doing that, some of them in absolute opposition to one another, then that's why there are so many different answers. What I don't understand is the many people who wrote down No Purpose at all. However even if they think so on a practical level they behave in the best way for them to maximise their chances to leave copies of their DNA.

While I believe that life has no inherent purpose, I decided a long time ago that I would like to have a positive influence in the lives I touch. I do that mainly through my chosen career.

For everyone it's different, but for me, I think it's to experience as much good as I can in this world. Only by doing things and achieving goals do you grow as a person and I think that what really makes people happy is the good experiences in life.

What ever you decide to make it.

loving laughing learning lolling lilting living.......

Indoor climbing!

To suggest purpose , is to suggest intelligent design . There is no god . Bottom Line !

Dougy Level 7 Feb 13, 2018

To be what you are and to become what you are capable of becoming.

Technically, it's to reproduce and continue the species, but that doesn't sound all that glamorous, does it? If we were to go beyond that, I'd say that life itself has no inherent meaning, but we can make our own meaning where we see fit. Writing gives meaning to my life and so does the presence of some members of my family.

I thought I was going to be original here, but it seems as though everyone beat me to the punchline. The purpose of my life is finding that which makes me a better person, more educated person, and a person who understands that finding out I'm wrong about something is equally as valuable as finding out I'm correct about something. (If that doesn't make sense I can explain later.) My purpose is for me to discover and never to impose any part of it on anyone else.

What you make it. You are the crown of creation. It's up to you.

Life's purpose is, and always has been, to perpetuate life. That is, to pass on DNA.

to help those around you have a good life

I'm somewhere between procreating, no purpose, finding joy, and just a freak occurrence of cells coming together in the right way at the right time. We're here, we may as well do something good. Or I've achieved my major purpose in passing on my DNA, I'm not sure how much use I am now except as a little cog in a big machine.

I gonna Party until they remove me from the respirator. I don't know about you guys.

I have always liked to use the saying of learning, laughing and exploring.

"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!"

Lol

To make another living organism's day a little better than it would have been without your existence.

Incomplete.

Maybe the idea of life having a purpose is a byproduct of having evolved advanced consciousness and the prefrontal cortex. Animals don't seem to worry about such things. For them it's pretty much survival. Pets are a little different since their survival is taken care of, so they can live without worrying about those things.

Hopefully, it is whatever you want it to be! Make money? Save the rainforest? Become infamous? Enjoy!

Taking the question literally, it has to be the passing on of DNA, otherwise life will cease.
I think some people are answering a somewhat different question, like 'What is the meaning of life' Very different!

@Akfishlady lol, I've always wondered why the religious types, who promote procreation as the purpose of sex, don't stop having sex when they no longer procreate.

@Akfishlady, of course no! Reproduction it's a multi stage process.

@Akfishlady, @marga, haha, maybe they hope in God's intervention and get a child in old age, haha.

The purpose of life is to give life purpose.

And how do you do that?

@Algernon really?

@SonderOpia, really.

@Algernon 42

@SonderOpia, 42?

@Algernon yes, 42

@SonderOpia, is that a random number? Does it have a purpose?

I think we can all choose our own purpose. For me, it's increasing awareness of women's sport, and helping make sure it gets the same funding and media attention as men's sport.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 13, 2018

What are we going to do tonight? "Same thing we do every night Pinky, try to take over the world without supernaturalism!" The Brain, 'Pinky and the Brain'

jeffy Level 7 Feb 13, 2018

To find out what the purpose of life is.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 13, 2018

So what about if someone finds what he think to be the purpose of life but he's wrong?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23962
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.