4. Candy
  5. Soft drinks and sugar-sweetened drinks
  6. Diet soda
  7. Sugary cereals
  8. Cookies and pastries
  9. Margarine
  10. Meat-lovers pizza

EDIT:

Source: World Health Organization and the International Agency for Research on Cancer meta-study, evaluating over 800 papers (scientific studies) in 20 countries. Twenty-two experts from 10 countries conducted the work and then voted on what findings to issue. Time magazine, Februrary 13, 2017.

For the past 44 years, I have not eaten any of this, except an occasional, chocolate chip cookie or piece of birthday cake.

Never drank soda pop, and raised my daughter the same way.

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I stay away from them all, I hunt, fish, collect edibles from fields and forests , make all my own preserves, peel my veggies daily , BUT... I consider that list a "treat" as childhood memories

@CourreuDeBois

Good for you! I cook from scratch and don't eat processed food. I make a "shit load," a technical term.

Love leftovers. Freeze in two-meal containers.

@LiterateHiker I freeze sometime 5 meals to avoid eating moose stew for a week, never got used to cooking for 1 yet, I always let my local friends know so they help.

I am not sure if I want to die happy or healthy. Moderation is key. I stopped worrying about dying and I try to enjoy life. I will continue to eat 2,3,8 and 10 in moderation and enjoy my life then die happy not healthy.

Good for you. I avoid most of the list, though I am largely a carnivore and eat a lot of meat. The study you reference is not nearly as clear on the supposed dangers of meat as the mass press indicates. This is clear if you review the study and examine some of the (ignored) confounders.

Perhaps you can provide me a quick answer Mitch, though I do intend to take a look at the study, eventually. The most surprising inclusion to me, is diet soda. Are you able to shed any light on the study's findings in regard to that?

@Rossy92 The study I am referencing is the one that purported to show (as reported in the mass media) that meat consumption causes cancer. It did not address diet soda, or at least if it did I am not aware of it. The summary analyses I read only addressed the meat question.

Seldom eat 1, 3,4,5,8, never 9. 10 is the only kind I ea?????. 6 and 7 in moderation. Something is going to kill me, at least I will have a good meal before I go, ?

Well with the way that world’s going I’m not that my heart could really take much more so add some ribs and alcohol to that list. ?

Oh, no, I wish you hadn't told me.

Well . If i can add my 2 cents ,
Best foods for your heart are those that u eat in good company , w laughter , interesting to your taste and standards conversation , and w the peace in your mind that shelter / love / belonging is covered .
My opinion of course ?
Stress will kill us all b4 food . Anything in excess is not good for u , and litle bit of everything ain't gonna kill u .
I had a cardiac arrest at age of 26. I wasn't big and I was healthy other ways . Stress can kill . That's all I am saying . 22 yr later , and after smoked cigrts all my adult life until near a year ago , I still eat everything I want , still 122 lbs , and I can pull a 60 hr week at ED in 4 days ?
When smiling , the ticker works great . When sad or stressed , yeah , time to worry .

Like someone will stop you from giving your two cents worth. 🙂

I admire your willpower, I just seem to have to indulge myself every so often, especially with the burgers and meat lovers pizza....

I gave up almost all of the sugar supplemented things many moons ago and a couple of years ago I also read a thing by an MD that said that aspartame is cancer in a bottle. I became a partial, because I occasionally have fish and bird intake, vegan four years ago. I also like to ingest liquids that come from barley.

@gsiamne

You're right. I never use fake sugar.

I will say that in my opinion the worst foods are the carbs and the sugars. Of course, my Kryptonite is beer, which is pure carbs, but that is another story. Let's look back in time. For most of human evolution, the diet was meat and fats, with very little starch. It is only the last 100,000 years, and most notably the past 75 years that we have pared back on the fats.

The results have been devastating, as we have replaced fats with high-fructose corn syrup and other sugars. The results? We are fatter than ever. Obesity and diabetes are epidemic. The average weight for an adult male has gone from 180 to 196 in 20 years. Low fat is clearly NOT WORKING. We are on a death spiral as a species because of our diet.

The Sirens are loud and politically shrill. Vegans are convinced that their way is the way. The cement-headed medical community and ADA clings to the LOW FAT myth. We have been doing it all wrong. Our great-grandparents knew....Starches put thunder into our thighs. They ate plenty of bacon, fat and did not have the toxic packaged foods that are killing us today. It is the CARBS, not the fat. I could not be more sure of anything.

Agree...

exactly !!

Guess I will be dead soon as I enjoy most of these?

Maybe not...genetics also plays a part...

@thinktwice maybe so,eventually poor choices catch up to you?

@WayneDalton You are correct...but never too late to change...the problem is, people don't even when armed with information...usually that first heart attack is what it takes...

@thinktwice Yes...Yes...YES. Genetics are the most important factor. Of course, over time,...a very long time...the genetics will change. For better or for worse.

Bad for your waistline as well...and your energy level...

Their thinking is very similar to mine. None of that stuff appears in my intake. Interesting that sugar seems to get more attention than in the past; glad that my sweet tooth went AWOL long ago.

6 out of 10. That's not bad, right? Right?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:241404
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.