Agnostic.com

18 2

As a non believer do you still enjoy movies/shows that derive story from religion?

Explanation: shows like Supernatural or Lucifer that have their story rooted in religious factors and assumptions. I personally find I do still enjoy this stuff if it is still an intriguing story on its own, but i have heard from some atheists that "no i hate that it is based on the bible" the bible is just another book (fiction) and can be interpreted different ways. Do you believe that god is added to much in to average tv or movie these days?

Truthseeker83 4 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I enjoy them. Especially the ones that are a direct affront to the religiously minded. The more blasphemous, the better. They are a sign that people are waking up to the fact that religion is dying and should have centuries ago. Better late than never, I say.

Preacher
Impastor

To me they are great source of amusement but little else than that.

I don't enjoy them as much.

Sure, why not? Could u enjoy a movie about bigfoot, loch ness monster, elves, gnomes, fairies? Whats the difference?

Why can u not appreciate something, strictly for its entertainment value, and not make an issue out of it?

Biblical stories are works of fiction like any other....so, it’s okay to make movies or shows with them as the inspiration. Just in the same way we love to see Stephen King ‘s stories taken and made into entertainment.

I like a good, scary ghost story, despite not “believing” in ghosts! Mythology and folk culture consist of a lot of metaphor and dramatic device, and I suspect the biggest mistake is to take it literally.

I grew up reading comics and fantasy books. I like science fiction and fantasy movies. Yes I do like watching them, it's entertaining and I know none of the concepts that they are based on are real, just myths.

I like xmas shows. So... yes. 🙂

I love supernatural shows, it’s just fiction, and probably no more ridiculous that cop procedural shows or movies about giant sharks etc. - any scripted show. I went to see the show ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’ a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. You don’t have to believe the wizard of oz exists to enjoy the movie.

As a bonus Supernatural and Lucifer both have pretty gorgeous stars!

Supernatural or not, I love a great story.

Yeah I like Supernatural, and I like mythological narratives n allegories very much. As long as it's well written and not smacking of christianity's moralizing preachiness too directly from the pulpit, it's all good. Particularly interested if it contains Greek, Norse, First Nations, Sumerian, Celtic, or Hindu mythologies, as their pantheons are really diverse and freakay usually. I think Supernatural has hit on a bit of it all.

Oddly enough,I will watch the movie,The Ten Commandments ever year.I believe this is similar,for me,to watching the Wizard of Oz as I did as a child?.

I used to love supernatural shows and books. Today they make me want to vomit or laugh myself silly. I could no more watch "Lucifer" on TV than beat my own brains out with a hammer. Why do I feel this way? It is because this is all stupidity. I do watch some fantasy shows and movies but this sort of show (Lucifer) is almost advanced stupidity. Let's flip it and imagine Zeus in a similar situation where he is trying to learn benefits of creating humans, etc. I would have no interest. No interest at all.

Entertainment is entertainment

Depends are they well written? Then yes. If its just another telling of christs sufferings no. It tends to be pretty dull.

For one, Devils advocate was an amazing movie.

I still love the music--at least some of it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:241635
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.