Agnostic.com

25 2

Which Holidays if any have meaning to you and why, Which have no significance to you whatsoever.

• 5 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 13 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 22 votes
Shelton 8 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Where's Halloween? I double down on Halloween. Easter is the only one I completely ignore. I make the others my own.

Thanksgiving is awesome just because of the menu items.

Thanksgiving holds a lot of good memories with family, but now I think about the native americans and it sort of spoils the day for me.

Labor Day should be in the list.

@Shelton Right. Well there are 2 veteran holidays so replace one of them with Labor Day.

Food, there is the first picnic of the year right thru to T-day and the sale price of day after turkeys is GREAT. It's all about the FOOD!!

While none of these have any particular meaning for me, as a musician, bar holidays are good money makers and tend to have great crowds- St. Patrick's, Halloween, and New Year's, in particular.

Beyond seeing my family, nothing really. I do however like Christmas trees with their lights, for some reason something about it makes me happy (Thanks Pagans for the Trees? We all know xmas isn't very original to xtianity). I made up my own holiday though. I commemorate it every year as the day I finally got rid of my depression (lasted for 5 years).

Thanksgiving gets my vote only because it's when most of what passes for my immediate family (my wife and all our children except usually my daughter because she's far away and has children of her own) get together. Christmas it's usually just my wife and I and we barely register it -- like all the other holidays. Her kids are with their biological father for Christmas every year. My son died a couple of years ago, so he's not coming over to have dinner with us on Christmas anymore.

Like apparently many folks here, we aren't big on holidays generally.

April fools day. This was my late partner's favorite day and she pulled some duzzies (her kids said they would not answer the phone from her if it was that day). There is a team on the island devoted to playing some gag on April first. A couple of years ago they built a VW sized flying saucer and installed it in the middle of our lake. A week or so later I was talking on the phone and looking out the window. I stopped and made an expletive. I said I was watching a flying saucer going by the house, stopping on the corner and turning toward the village! I have a row of high bushes and the flying saucer from the lake was put on a flat bed truck and taken to the village for display. All I saw was the saucer as the truck was shrouded by the shrubs. It was an unforgettable moment.

I love Christmas: Partly because of the lights. I gets dark at 0-stupid-thirty, and that can be so depressing. But during that time of the year people everywhere put up beautiful and colorful lights, which adds a sense of serenity to the mayhem of darkness. That, and also because it's the one time we actually entertain the stories of hope and human kindness and... dare-I-say... miracles. Our myths fly free, and our minds entertain higher ideals that we don't tend to entertain during the rest of the year.

And in 2017, Memorial Day became a big thing to me. As I've said before, I lost my brother-in-law (Marine) in July, and that is going to be a hard day for quite some time. He's buried at Arlington National Cemetery, so it will probably be a pilgrimage for me every year. He'd been with my sister for twenty years, and that's a lot of time to get to know and love someone.

I voted for Memorial Day and the Forth of July.
I think it is always good to remember those who have past. The Forth is good because it is a summer time holiday and a lot of fun things are going on. Like rodeos and races. Being a Navy veteran, it is important to me that we should always remember the thise who gave their lives in the service of our country.

None of them have any real meaning to me in so much as just the holiday itself or what it represents on a larger scale. The holidays that I enjoy because I spend them with family and eat and drink and talk and laugh are 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Eve. They are different for me now that I am grown, but I look forward to those holidays. The only reason why I like Halloween is because for the entire month of October there are horror movies on tv. Couple that with the feeling of fall and it just gives me a certain feeling.

You missed the All of the Above option. Any holiday that brings with it the potential to pig out on rich homemade special food is a winner with me. Now, one of them, Veteran's Day, is painfully poignant, but we still manage to have a barbecue which helps to ease me through it.

July 4 is when a bunch of the family gets together at my parents camp. Good food, hiking, swimming, camp fires and so much more.

I get that really and its all good but you could pick your own date and do that anyway like many if not all of these dates. can you imagine the revenue lost if free-thinking caught on and people did their own thing when they felt like it?

@LeighShelton I didn't pick the the date my mother did. She loves fireworks, family and the camp.

it's all good @JoeMastle I have family politics too so make the most of it. it won't change you on the inside. Shelton's of a feather stick together lol

July Fourth and Thanksgiving are big ones around here. Lots of food and frivolity.
Especially when the other nieces and nephews come in from out of town.
Christmas is fun, too. We don't do the religious aspects of it.

Easter and Christmas, because they're both originally pagan holidays.

I don't celebrate or even acknowledge religious based holidays for obvious reasons. When I was in the U.S.A.F. as a firefighter, we work a 24 on/24 off schedule with one shift off every other week, giving you 72 hrs off straight. You worked on the days you were scheduled unless you took leave and it didn't matter if it was your kids birthday, wedding anniversary, Christmas or St. Swithins Day. So I learned to ignore holidays because they did not change my schedule. Later when I worked crappy jobs with no paid holidays, I learned that holidays were days off and a reduced paycheck. My last wife decided to surprise me on my birthday with a buxom St Paulie Girl at a comedy club birthday thing with friends in attendance. I got lipstick all over my face so then birthdays were ruined.

Birthdays are the only celebration I acknowledge

Khmm Level 5 Feb 16, 2018

Valentines Day why I like chocolate.
Easter same reason.
Halloween see above.
Christmas your guessed it.

all those where I get a day off. I mean DUH.

Jewish holidays generally involve cake or other yummy food; therefore, they have meaning to me.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 15, 2018

My personal views conflict with many of the holidays anymore. I only celebrate if I happen to be with family. If I am alone, I don't celebrate.

All holidays have meaning to me - it means I am on holiday.

Not being in the states, only 1 of those is a holiday here and that's easter.

Actually - Easter does have significant meaning to me. It's usually the first meeting of the uK drag racing calendar!!! 😉

Birthdays are meaningful, I do July 4th, and Halloween is my all time favorite. The rest I don’t even pay any attention.

I support the ones designed to honor the people who fought to create and keep the unique experiment that is the United States. The religious ones are nice to have, but don't have any special significance to me.

marga Level 7 Feb 15, 2018

Valentine and my Birthday are the only game in town to me... and Valentine goes first.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24725
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.