Agnostic.com

18 3

Are you forgetful or easily distracted?

I tend to forget things a lot. Somewhere I read it's a sign of intelligence. If it's not in my daily routine, I'll forget it. I would forget my head if it wasn't attached. Lol. I have ADHD and I'll get distracted. One day, I was going to get a tissue to blow my nose, but then I saw my shoes and I needed to put those on. I then also needed to go to the bathroom and put my hair up. Once that was done, I remembered I was going to go blow my nose. I normally have a lot on my mind. I also have to make grocery lists, or I'll forget what I need. Since I'm up early every morning, I will remember things I forgot to do, and then get them done. It all gets done and in time. It's just that I get distracted easily and have to remember to go back and do something. Are you forgetful or easily distracted?

Sarahroo29 8 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm still easily distracted, but not as forgetful as I was. Sometimes there doesn't even have to be anything specific I'm distracted by, I'll just wonder off in the middle of doing something, suddenly realise I'm in the kitchen, remember I was in the middle of typing, and go back to my room. I'm learning to be more conscious of my behaviours so that I can modify them, but there are still a few bugs in the code.

Im pretty sure all thats holding my brain together is bong resin...I forget everything

Oh.

a bit of both

Me too.

Forgetful is my middle name. I have you beat, I went to work with 2 different
color shoes. Good thing that I worked in the office that day. One day I could not find my car keys, they were in the fridge. How they got there ? I forget.

Lol.

I have a attention span of 10-15 minutes on a good day. I forget anything I need to remember but can remember the smallest most useless information. Luckily, a therapy session lasts 30 minutes. I plan 3 eight minute activities per session.

Hmmm...

Yes, forgetful and easily distracted. It's a struggle with distractions when trying to meet my daily writing quota of a thousand words a day when writing. I have issues with the grocery store as well.

Gohan Level 7 Feb 15, 2018

I wander the store. I buy other things too.

Some of my retirees term it CRS or CRAFT.

Lol.

Every time I leave my apartment. I have to stop and think if I have everything. I will get 5 min. down the road and I have a brain spasm and I either forgot my phone or a handkerchief. If I am going to the gym which I do 3X a week its my pass which I keep in my vehicle and when I come out sometimes forget to put it back into the console. If I stop off at the store on the way back I always buy something I didn't intend and sometimes forget what I need. I'm retired and when I was working I had to be up at 445 am and be out the door by 510 in order to catch the train. I had everything laid out the night before. I don't have to do that any more because I don't care. I need my handkerchief and my keys but I have a spare key in my wallet and can sniffle my way thru my walk. I don't like forgetting but I am not going to let it make me crazy. I've heard it, seen it and am part of it. Don't let it bother you. Just enjoy your moments to the fullest and the rest will get done some time or another. And when you find yourself getting annoyed then just smile and say "eh" This is also more prominent to those who live alone. Its one of the trade offs of not having someone to nag a you about this or that. Its great to know that no one is watching, or cares what you are wearing, or are going to eat.

Wow.

Huh? What'd you say?

No, I think I have very early onset old timers, but it is only in conversations where we digress a bit that I get lost.

ADHD is a condition that requires care and organization, and often can be greatly helped with medication. Please consult a therapist and get your condition analyzed properly so the therapist can help you control your life much more effectively. My daughter AND her husband both suffer this condition, and have found great relief from organizational journals (those lists you mentioned) and their meds.

I don't take meds for ADHD. I did as a kid, but they never helped. I'm not as hyper as I used to be when I was a teenager. I do talk a mile a minute, walk fast, move too fast, react without thinking first, and I am easily distracted. It sucks.

@silvereyes Some days I get hyper. Most days I move so fast at work that people and I collide.

@silvereyes I do. I do around 11 am when I'm in the rush at work.

Well yes. It’s not a sign of intelligence though. I was the nerdy kid growing up. Not to brag, but I could remember Pi to 30 digits, that kind of thing. Classified as high IQ. In the past five years I went from perfect photographic memory to barely able to remember what happened 5 minutes ago. You have no idea how it feels to go from one extreme to the other in the course of 5 short years. Doctors call it early onset dementia. It’s actually my intelligence they keep telling me that has kept it from degrading more than it has.

I don’t know if that’s your case. Bit all of what you describe I experience. Don’t assume it has anything to do with intelligence. Talk to your doctor. There’s probably something else going on you aren’t aware of.

I'm not on ADHD meds. It was my diagnosis growing up into young adulthood. My current dr I see once every 3 months, took that diagnosis away. I only see her for 10 minutes though.

Understood! The honest truth is I was diagnosed many years back with ADD/ADHD as well. That didn’t seem to effect my memory. It was only recently that the memory issues started for me. Reading what she wrote though was eerily the same thing I’ve been going thru. Not implying it’s the same thing of course. Just struck me as extremely familiar. @silvereyes

It's called being spacey and you bet I am. This site doesn't help one bit.

Yep.

I'm like that... right down to the early mornings. I'm up by 4 every morning and straight to work. I always have at least a dozen projects going, and I smoke pot, so, yeah, things fall through the cracks of my mind.

Totally. With all of the marijuana and the depression from losing my son, I’m just not there like I used to be.

So sorry to hear about losing your son. I cannot imagine what that must be like. The sun rises and sets on my son, IMO.

Yeah, hell does exist @Otterpop

And you are just a young thing. You will do all right. Keep a note pad "Things to do."
Trust me dear it helps.
Ooooh! look at that shinny thing. Got to go.

Lol.

The first thing I usually do when I walk into a room is think, "Why am I here?". That'll usually follow with me going back to where I was which will usually jog my memory so I can repeat the process.

I forget why I walk into a room too.

About the only time I remember why I went into a room is when it is the bathroom.

What was that question again? Oh look, there's a new puppy... what did you say you wanted...

Lol.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24736
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.