Agnostic.com

28 4

Is there a non-cringy way of telling someone you think they look nice on a given day?

I typically refrain from complimenting others unless I know them, or have built a relationship with them. However, there are times when I think, what is so wrong with saying to someone that you think they look nice today, or in a particular photo?

It seems like it is more socially acceptable for women to do this than men.

SteveB 7 Feb 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I see something I think is great I say so. "great shirt" "That fabric is really pretty" "colors look great on you." So far it works, I do not spend time close to the person, usually just while in line at the market or some other store. I say what I say and move on, I have never noticed a problem. I might just be really dense though.

I tend to focus on the dress, shirt, color, design, etc and not the person, if they chose it you sorta sideways compliment the person. If I know some one better I might say they look nice but do not add 'today'. I think men like to hear 'Hello Handsome' from a woman friend. At least some of my guy friends do. I would not walk up to a stranger tho.

I don't know anyone that doesn't appreciate a nice compliment. I just wouldn't say something like, "that dress makes you look thinner", not good, LOL. Hopefully, you already know that. @Qualia example, is good.

@Steven, duhhhh! Lol

@SteveB LOL, particularly when she is NOT pregnant.

@SteveB and certainly not to a guy.

Just say "you look nice today". As long as you don't make a big deal out of it in front of everyone or make it sexual they shouldn't be offended. It's OK to complement people.

MsAl Level 8 Feb 16, 2018

but that begs the question about every other day. 🙂

You look particularly radiant today would work on me. LOL
😀

Just say what ''you'' think. Using from another's point of view is cringy.

"Cringy" is not a what, generally--it's a how: words are less important than facial expression, tone, posture, gesture, etc.

Unless of course the words are "You smell different when you're sleeping" or something of that nature...

Don't sweat it. Speak from the heart, naturally, authentically, and don't over think it. Whatever feeling is behind it will come across if you don't strangle yourself. If the feeling behind it isn't creepifying, you're in the clear.

@SteveB lol

I'm careful about that not because of the cringe factor, but if I tell someone that she looks good today, she may infer that I am also saying that normally she doesn't.

JimG Level 8 Feb 16, 2018

You shore look purdy

Oooh is this a work environment question? If it is don't listen to me haha

That is a good question. When I am at work there are even times I think I shouldnt have said something complimentary. I limit comments to "nice color " pretty blouse or other banal comments. You might try saying" you look bovine today" and see what comes of that

LMAO! Bovine?! Ouch!

lol

@SteveB no explanation needed though it brought up some good images! I am not looking it up but I think bovine is a gender neutral term so you would politcally correct

@bingst havent seen you around in a while @bingst

I think it is how you say it.

If someone changes their hair, I try to mention it. Women seem paranoid about their hair. (Sorry for the generalization.)

Obviously some body parts are off limits. I think you can say nice nails, but most other things are out. Clothing compliments should be ok, as long as the compliment isn't "oooh that's a tight sweater!" Or, "I loooove that short skirt. You definitely have the legs for it!"

And don't do it daily to the same person!

OK, got it. Good luck. HR will probably not accept this note as evidence during your harassment grievance.

I like 'You scrub up well', probably explains why I'm single (well separated) lol

As someone with fairly low self esteem, it REALLY makes my day if someone compliments me. Regardless of if I know them or not. If it's someone you know or work with, a simple "that looks really great on you" or "you look great" is good. I was at the post office one day and a stranger told me he thought I looked really good in the dress I was wearing. I don't think I'll ever forget that! lol.

I tend to compliment people because I know it can make someone's day. Of course if I make eye contact with strangers I also smile at them. But I live in Minnesota so perhaps that wouldn't be acceptable elsewhere?

OK, I've been meaning to say, I dig those specs! Just the right amount of funky retro. Frames the sparkle in your smiling eyes very well.

@phil21 thank you! My eyes are so dry I can’t wear contacts. But thankfully I think glasses are fun.

@Marcie1974 and that’s how to compliment in non threatening way. I guess it helps that we are 1000 miles apart.

Simply say that. You look very nice today. I don't know anyone that would be offended by that. Don't mention weight or whether or not they look rested.

Just say it without being creepy. 🙂 I confess: sometimes when I'm having a bad day, it lifts my spirits for a guy passing on the street or a coworker to say, "You look nice!" or "That color works for you!"

Then READ THE SIGNS. If they smile brightly and say, "Thanks!", great.

If they ignore you, barely acknowledge, don't look like they want to be bothered, GO. AWAY. 🙂

Yes just say it

just be you

Depends on context. If you always get a cringe, just stop.

Nice outfit! (if it's new)
I like your hair (if it was changed since you last saw it)
Great shoes! Where did you get them (this only works with same sex person)?
You look great this morning.
I love that shirt color with those pants.
You're in great shape these days. Are you doing some new workout? (same gender only, to be safe)

Perhaps it is just me. I used to hold back and not say anything to people. I now tell people what ever I want whenever. I will explain. Two days ago I was walking into a local large store (Fred Meyer) and there were Girl Scouts there selling cookies. I asked on the way in if they were going to be there fora half-hour or so and they said they would. I found what I wanted and on the way out I stopped and talked to first the woman who was with her daughter I would think. I asked about the cookies and got the information I needed started to pick out some and for some reason I found out the woman was a nurse. Not a big deal, however I almost died last year and the doctors and especially the nurses treated me more than well. I would say that the reason the world is in such a shitty mess is because all the angels are nurses, but then That is just a comment. Anyway I bought cookies and walked out to my car. I brought back the cart to the store and put it away. Passed by the Girl Scouts again stopped and said, "Your a nurse, correct." She said "Yes." I told her about my experience and the fact that the nurses were great to me and I thanked her for being a nurse, I reached out my hand, she shook it and I said Thanks". Smiled and went on my way. I have experiences like this all the time. I once heard that it is improper to tell a woman she is pretty. This hit me as just wrong. I was going to my credit union and when there said to one of the tellers, "I have a question, you do not really know me but would you find it offensive if I were to tell you I thought you were pretty." I was talking in general and gave it no more thought that my comment would be about her. She replied that she would not and thanked me for the comment. I walked away. I am married but do not wear a wedding ring, I know I am married and I once almost tore my finger off by hooking the ring on some work. All of the instances I do not make a point of trying to make the person uneasy. I am truly complimenting them and I think they find it pleasant. There is no way I would do anything I thought was offensive to anyone who did not deserve it. I do not want to get hit and I do want people to find me a pleasant human being.

Dudes complimenting dudes: nice kicks. New?
You get a your hair did? Looking sharp!
Digging the shirt, dude!

Are we as a society too sensitive? I have never had anything but gratitude when complimenting someone. With a girl I usually say something like "Hey, I like that outfit, it really suits you" people come up to me regularly saying how much they love my shirts even shy little old ladies.

It's a mine field. Use extreme caution😉

I like your shirt. Its a good color/style for you.

I've never been outgoing , but decided I needed a change . As I grew older and am now using the store scooters when I grocery shop , I realized how down the disabled seem to be . I came up with a 100% comment that always leaves them with a smile . As we scooter past one another in opposite directions , I smile at them and say , " Hey , wan'na race ? " Always get a smile or chuckle or both , although no one has ever said yes , or tried to catch me . One day , when I was not in my regular store , some guy said it to me .You know what ? It cracked me up too .

Thank you for making the day brighter.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24918
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.