Agnostic.com

21 5

Loneliness

The Xmas season is lonely when you have no friends. How is a lonely girl supposed to cope?

DakotaNorth 4 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Learn to enjoy your own company.
Life is much better once you do that.

You can also start hanging out here.
😉

Volunteer to help others in need.

Spend time outdoors snowshoeing, hiking or walking. Exercise lifts your spirits.

Read a good book. Put together a jigsaw puzzle. This is absorbing and fun.

I suffer from depression this time of year was well. People of told me that my happiness is up to me, it’s hard to accept that but I do know that it is true. I hope you are able find some happiness by doing something that makes you feel good.

djs64 Level 7 Dec 23, 2018

I'm going hiking on Christmas

As a secular Jew, I recommend Asian restaurants christmas eve or day. My daughter and husband do Chinese food and a movie on christmas day. As for making friends, I strongly suggest Meetups. Join a bunch, go to a few meetings and if they don't meet your needs, go to a different one. I'm also a member of our community recreation center and a number of running clubs. Just a few ideas on how to meet people and make friends.

Volunteering is probably good, pets, excercize like some others said. Honestly being this late its probably to late to set stuff up like volunteering for this xmas, pets require planning and pre thought...Talking shit online about more social people being shallow and enjoying themselves works for me sometimes. Just remember its almost over now. The run up for new year isn't nearly as bad as Christmas. Of course then all the Valentine's shit goes up everywhere. Sorry just thought of that, probably doesn't help much. Sorry your lonely. This is a good place to hang out if you don't otherwise have people. I've found it helpful. Try not to be to hard on yourself.

MsAl Level 8 Dec 23, 2018

I've put some thought into the best ways of meeting new people and how to go about it.

1.) At work. Does your place of employment have a social committee? Get involved, even if it's just scheduling events via outlook. Everyone at work knows everyone else and that gives people common topics of conversation. When you have a common goal, or topic, or worplaces, the converstaion usually comes easier and brings people together.

2.) Dancing. Most people won't care if you can't dance as long as you don't throw up on anyone or break something. Chances are, the live band is depressed if nobody is dancing to their efforts. They spent probably thousands of hours preparing/training/performing to be here tonight. As long as you don't fall on their amp or smash something, etc. They will probably appreciate your efforts. Are other people dancing? Are they soused out of their minds? Good. They will be less judgmental. Go dance with them and talk to them afterwards. Say how much fun you had out on the dance floor. You should probably have gone to the after-bar with them in retrospect. Why not close out the night at 3am?

3.) Karaoke. Similar concept as 2.

4.) Clubs/Organizations//charities. That works. You guys may all have just one thing in common and talk about nothing about that for a few days. It's a start

5.)Tennis/gym/sports. This is good. If your instructor freaks out b/c you suck- smile and shrug. Remind them that you are here for fun- not Olympic training. Go to the after dinner.

6.) General bars with no music/trivia/distraction. Ok, now you are more or less depending on your looks to meet people. People will talk to you and you may have to turn them down if you are not interested. This can be worse than nobody talking to you at all in some ways.

7.) Meetup.com - most people come and go once they establish new friends- they're out. But it is one hell of a lot better than staying home and not talking to anyone.

Finally, socializing is an art. Social People tend to be positive and have a lot of standard topics to talk aboit. They tend to be upbeat and comfortable with themselves. Watch them closely and learn. I have friends that are social butterflies without being Mean-girl-esque like high school. I'm trying really hard to learn from them.

Get some friends.

Make new friends. That requires taking risks and getting out in the world, opening yourself up to possibilities.

@DakotaNorth The trick for me was just going out anyway. Life is full of disappointment. It is also full of wonder, happiness and joy. We all find what we're looking for. I joined in on some meet-ups and got involved in Theatre. I also like to sing, so I went to Karaoke. Yes, I was disappointed often and cried in the car on the way home, but I also made a few wonderful friends. It's been worth it.

@DakotaNorth Yeah actually I DO know how hard it is but I also know that life owes me precisely zip, zero, nada, nothing and so I have no choice but to let life and Other People be as they are and find my own way to meaning and purpose. Over the years I've found that mostly in my professional life and things related to it, such as mentoring and employing my stepson and thus helping him to have more options as he considers his postgraduate options.

I understand you're self-comforting with the bitter knowledge that no one loves you as you expect but it is the very expectation that's undermining you. Don't let that define you or be any part of your identity. Easier said than done, but by your own admission that hasn't been working well for you. Try something different. There are always options, and even the ones that seem shitty often turn out way better than you think.

I have found special relationships in general to be disappointing and underwhelming but I have focused on what I can do to be supportive and helpful to others without expectations rather than what they can / should be doing to be supportive and helpful to me. This has been the best way forward, at least for me. FWIW. Does my daughter for example respect and appreciate me as I'd like and show it in ways that I approve? Nope. Is my son even alive? Nope. Is my stepdaughter a cruel asshat? Yup. But life has given me a stepson who, with minor exceptions, likes and appreciates me and enjoys me, so ... I focus on that. Etc.

But also understand this: life is largely unremarkable and ordinary. Meaning and belonging come from a thousand little things, not a handful of big ones. And it's super easy to not notice ANY of those little things, and super easy to notice ALL of the big ones that aren't by some arbitrary standard "the way they should be". It's how natural selection wired us, to scan for threats and exceptions, and ignore non-threats and met expectations. It was great for evading predators, terrible for making meaning and purpose with other people. What I'm saying is that in some way you have to shift what you're paying attention to and investing in and, likely, lower your attachment to particular outcomes.

All that said, I understand ... it's hard to wrestle with this stuff. But you can virtually always find a better headspace than the one you're in. You just have to be willing to quit insisting that your mental model of reality MUST be the one that actually works.

@mordant OMG, that's fantastic!. Thanks for sharing.

Hey jump on a plane and come to UK. Your dinner is waiting for you...

Join the band! Sgt Peppers is recruiting as we speak.

I can absolutely relate, loneliness is awful and it's not as easy as "get some friends." Try looking into other groups on this site, especially for support. There are a lot of kind and understanding people here. Or look for support groups in your area.

Look for "Meetup" groups,in your area,sometimes "Free thinkers" have get together's also. Meetups have dining out,wine tasting, hiking, camera clubs, and more

I am in agreement with most of the comments below. Do something different, something that takes you out of the realm of repetitive thoughts. 🙂

sorry you're feeling lonely. sometimes (a lot of times) i go to movies alone. no pressure to talk to anyone while watching and it puts me in someone else's story instead of my own, even if momentarily. and then i also force myself to do things alone that i would rather do with companion(s). somedays i can get through the day as intended. others i retreat and vow to myself to try again later.

good luck. (from experience i know) lonliness sucks.

Loneliness sucks but being alone is not the same and is my preferred way to live (for the most part).

I get lonelier this time of year. But I also know what it's like to feel lonely all the time: I went through a large period of time where I didn't like myself very much, so any efforts to better my social situation didn't work because the story I had internalized was that I wasn't good enough. The way to turn that around is to start to find at least one small thing about yourself that you appreciate, and focus on that. And be very kind to yourself... And when you reach out -- in some of the ways suggested here, very good ones -- do it in small steps... And keep coming back to this site, there are a lot of good people here.

I'm very grateful I have a few local friends and they can spend some time with me during the holiday season as subs for a family. Not as good as having a partner or even dating someone, but enough to get me by. I have my father that I will visit on X-mas day.

Volunteer somewhere. Open your home & invite random people to contribute potluck & BYOB
i personally am going to see "Bohemian Rhapsody Xmas Eve...none of my friends wants to see it, so, a perfect use of my time before it leaves theaters.

When we're alone - and so many are for all different reasons - it's up to us as individuals, to decide what we need to get by. Or better yet, what we can do to for ourselves, to nourish our spirits, help us to grow and thrive, and maybe even make a friend or two ...

Treat it like any other day of the year.

I seem to lose track of things - have to think hard to remember which day of week it is and barely notice the holidays going by.

I'm working on Christmas day. I live on my own. I would spend it alone if necessary and I'd make the most of it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:250563
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.