Agnostic.com

30 2

QUESTION How do you feel about (boy) scouting?

This is a very important movement that is going back to the basics of the Boy Scouts. I was a Weblos, Boy Scout and Explorer Scout. My step son (who is gay) was an Eagle Scout who returned his badge in protest over scouting policies.

Can you be good without God? Boy Scouts face the question. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will begin its own program for boys age 14-18 next year after announcing that it would end its relationship with the Boy Scouts.

JackPedigo 9 Feb 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I started the local Explorer post in my community, it bothered me to no end the religious indoctrination that was involved (this was back in the early 70's). I found scouting for the most part to be very beneficial in spite of the religious crap.

I was in Cub Scouts, then Weblos, then a couple years of Boy Scouts before I quit... I honestly don't recall that there was ever any religiosity involved, although I just may not have been paying attention; this had nothing to do with why I quit. Troop meetings were always in a religious facility, but that seemed as much to do with having a large place for the entire troop to meet.

godef Level 7 Feb 16, 2018

@SweetHarp Well then, Im hlad I got out of there. Thanks for the feedback.

Being a woman and having daughters I don't know as much about them as I maybe should. That being said, I won't buy their popcorn due to their discrimination.

Girl Scouts is a totally separate organization and a great one. Aims at instilling skills and knowledge and independence and self esteem in girls.

Before black and white television this was the role model and in terms of today, it is time to update them or let them go. Teaching kids they will never be equal in god's view, Back then it was nothing but now it means something

EMC2 Level 8 Feb 16, 2018

I made it to life scout. I was just shy of eagle when I turned 18. I think it's a great program,aside from the religious undertones and rituals.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25095
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.