Agnostic.com

23 3

Please God

Is it true,as many claim, that everyone will plead for God's help when threatened with sudden death?

TINY109 3 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, if I'm driving down the interstate and I see an 18 wheeler jump lanes right in front of me headed in my direction at 70 miles per hour, it's possible I might say something like "Jesus Fucking Christ!!" Does that count?

Otherwise, no.

I would say what the fuck and steer out of the way

From the mouth of Hitch:

Source:

Christopher Hitchens

And during orgasms?

Well, I had a bad fall last night that included broken bones. As I lay there unable to move, confused, horrified, possibly dying ... didn't even cross my mind to plead for God's help. I did plead with the 9/11 operator to get help to me quickly though. So, no.

OMG! I'm sorry! That's terrible.

I hope you have excellent care and drugs - lots of drugs! What a start to a New Year.

Not me...tried it once circa 1970 when ex was kicking me & proceeded to strangle me in full view of maybe 200 people at a dance club...not even any humans tried to help!

I'm sorry that humans can suck. That's awful.

I might say "Goddamn" or "God Dammit" intermingled with "Oh Shit", "Fuck Me" and "What the Fuck?"

religious people say there are no atheist in foxholes I say there is only atheists in foxholes because if they truly believed they would go to heaven they would not be trying to avoid the bullets!

Which one? So many to choose from decisions decisions ?

AKA there are no Atheists in foxholes?

I haven't prayed since I was 10... And I didn't get the bike that year! 😟

I saw a video years ago which reported to share the last words of people who were facing death. The number one comment was a variation of, "oh sh-t" or "oh fu-k". Second was a reference to family.

Steve Jobs' last words were 'oh wow'.

have better luck calling your dogs name! Get em Fido!!

No....I don’t believe a lifetime of disbelief and reason can be overturned, even by threat of imminent death....it’s not logical to presume so. Only the religious can be making such claims, they believe that we are really all believers who are being perverse!

Whoever came to that conclusion would have had to study everyone closely at the moment of their deaths. Since there are people who remain uncooperative by being alive, the study itself is flawed.

I was in a scary movie with my Catholic sister - at the same moment we both exclaim - I say "Oh my God!" and she says " Oh fuck! ".
I laughed for a good five minutes after.

It's whatever pops into your head.

Having acknowledged my atheism when I was diagnosed with cancer in my 40s? It occurred to me I could back slide. I did not however.
Reason and science appealed to me far more.

I do say Oh God or Oh My God often but it's not literal. Neither is Oh Shit, fuck or fuck me ( well sometimes lol), It's all just words.

@Dandewine And of course swearing with the use of God's name in vain was worse to my sister? lol She's not a big vulgarian.

And I agree - you pull out the tried and true in the moment.

I didn't. NANA-NA-NANA!

No...and there is no way to prove it either way...

Not true in my case, nor anyone I personally know who has experienced something like that.

I expect some insular theists whom only know theists and lack the imagination to comprehend any other kind of life - like those claiming atheists are drilling it into the heads of little kids that they are "only animals", like they do with their victims of indoctrination - have convinced themselves this is true; probably the same way and for the same reason they have convinced themselves of many things over the years.
The belief that they are not weaker, needier and more arrogant than the rest of us. "Everybody will cry for their blankie when then time comes, just like we do."

No. We do not.

not me!

Absolutely false. Just more religious nonsense claims.

Just mainly the religious fool and some other desparit people. I hope not to, when the time comes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:253078
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.