Agnostic.com

73 1

Do you think that one "chooses" to become an atheist or is it more like they always were but only realized it?

If you accept the statement "there is no god, therefore religion (Christianity, etc) is false" as true, then the argument can be made that you weren't really a Christian because Christianity is not real.
For example, you think you are an alien and call yourself an alien, then realize that that belief was false and now call yourself a human. You didn't choose to be a human, you only realized you were one.

Sorry if it is confusing.

AnnaMD 5 Dec 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

73 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The truth of the matter is that EVERY child is born an Atheist, it is ONLY after they are either indoctrinated or allowed to develop their minds free from said indoctrination that they become either ' faithfools' or Atheists.

I agree with you. I also think that Christians would say that every child is born a Christian, Jews would say every child is born Jewish, etc

@AnnaMD Exactly and every one of them would 100% incorrect since NO newborn child is even remotely aware of either God or religion until it has been told/indoctrinated.

@Triphid Children can't be religious because they cannot think independently for themselves at that age. I believe someone important said something like that, I just can't remember who.

@Triphid If they aren't even aware of the very notion of gods , then they cannot very well reject them now can they ? I think that saying that since babies don't yet know about God they are atheist would be like saying that since children are not yet aware of what government is they must all be anarchist .

@Marmion As a Registered and once practicing, now retired, Male Mid-wife with the delivery of 164 babies under my belt over numerous years I can say most adamantly that NO new-born baby is aware of anything except its immediate need for comfort, warmth, food and security.
I have NEVER once seen a new-born arrive into this world and immediately begin to pray for its safe arrival, etc, etc, have you ever seen such?

It's very easy to forget just how unstructured our consciousness is early in life. I have vague recollections going back to about age 12-15 months, when I hardly even knew what I was. I was mostly a little bundle of reflexes. I didn't even think about anything much beyond my parents and toys. God never entered my mind.

@Triphid By that criteria though , all animals are atheists .

@Marmion Yes, that is a very much more than likely possibility since any ideology involving a deity is merely just a human concept at its very best, I'm sure you'd agree on that fact.

Hilariously enough, by the definition of Christian, I'm a far better Christian now than I ever was before. Christian means "little Christ" and now that I study Buddhist and stoic philosophy, I'm more Christ-like. I forgive people because they know not what they do. I pardon humanity of my imagined sins, the slings and arrows. I also see myself as part of a greater universe. I also learned to suspend judgement, which Jesus also teaches, but not well. If Christian's never asked me about religion, and also followed their own, we'd get along swimmingly!

Do you believe in reincarnation?

@MsDemeanour Not necessarily. I believe in possibilities, not certainties.

@K9Kohle789 so you believe in an afterlife?

@K9Kohle789 I think the light bulb episodes and your husband's passing are recent events you feel must be in some way connected, since they are roughly contemporaneous. To suggest that the one caused the other in some way is certainly not logically justified. It makes as much sense - none - to say that your husband's death caused some fault with the lighting as it does to say that the faulty lighting killed him.

@Kohle789 the dime thing. I never heard anyone else talk about it before but yes, without going into details, I have a little piggy bank that is half full of dimes I find in odd times and places but always when a lost dear one is on my mind.
There are too many strange things that happen over a long lifetime that chip away at the rigid beliefs we cling to.

Look at it this way. If you were born on a small Pacific Island and never even heard the word religion, would you believe in God?

@mooredolezal Yours is not a great example. A belief in gods goes back to the most primitive humans as a way to explain the world around them. Religion and the concept of god are not the same thing.

@GinaKay I was speaking of the world now. No one born today would ever know about God or religion unless they were told. That was my point. I just said an island because that was realistically a place where you would not hear about God or religion. I suppose if you grew up as a primitive today you might contemplate gods just as they did in ancient times.

@mooredolezal But you can't have it both ways. They are either in the modern world, or living a primitive life. Without influence of science and the outside world, which is what I understood your point to be, they could easily come up with the concept of "god" to explain things they did not understand. Just like early man did.

@GinaKay I agree with you. See my last sentence? What I am trying to get across is that modern man need not rely on Gods to explain the world around him because we have science. Consequently, if not taught about God in modern society I don't think the concept would ever come into being. Just like the appendix it is now a useless organ.

@mooredolezal Totally beside the point, but recent research suggests that the human appendix may actually have a function after all. Just a point of interest. I used to use that example a lot, as well, but now I have had to stop because I have come across this information, tentative as it is.

@elperroloco thank you. I stand corrected!?

Religion & atheism are choices. You either choose to believe in a God or you choose not to. I've been reading a lot of comments saying that babies are born atheist and I don't believe that to be true. I believe that you have to be aware of the concept of religion before you can either be for or against it. There is no default option in my opinion.

“Atheism” simply means without theism (belief in god). Babies are born without a knowledge of, and therefore without a belief in god, this atheist.

@A2Jennifer My search of the definition of atheism or atheist all say something along the lines of

"a person who does not believe in the existence of a god or any gods"

"a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings"

So I stick to my statement.

@Flowers28 a baby, or anyone who has not been told about gods, does not believe in the existence of gods. Just as a person who has not been told about unicorns or the tooth fairy does not have belief in those things.
There is a difference between having no belief and having disbelief. Those with disbelief can more accurately be described as “anti-theist.”

@A2Jennifer We'll just have to disagree on this.

@Flowers28 ok you are free to disregard definitions of words, but one is either a theist or not a theist (atheist).

@A2Jennifer lol

There are thousands if not millions of "gods". Anything that can be conceptualized is +real+. Thought=matter=reality. Religion and god are not the same thing. Religion is commerce, "God" is personal.

There doesn't have to be a "reason" for God. There is no "reason" for us, either.

@Lilith I agree there is no reason for us. But we are real. There has to be a reason for God or religion or neither would exist. I believe that reason to be fear of death in most instances or naturally occurring phenomenon for which uneducated people cannot determine or accept the cause. Do you think belief in Gods spontaneously arose?

@mooredolezal I think "GODS" are relative. I do not believe in A God. I believe that GODS are simply a superior species. I have several personal stories in mind.

Your Premise is not accurate.

To not correctly define atheist as one that accept the premise "there is no god" shifts the burden of proof from the theist (there is a god) to the not theist.

Atheist (not a theist) is simply not accepting the theists positive (there is a god) assertion.

If you believe there is a god/s, you are a theist/polytheist
If you lack that belief you are an atheist. (not a theist)

@alliwant No.

Wrong on two fronts.

The atheist does not doubt. The atheists (does not accept) HUGE difference.

Denial vs doubt is not applicable to my (what I considered was obvious) The word denial implies something has been demonstrated and is not accepted. This is not applicable.

The original definition is "There is no god" this is a positive assertion that unnecessarily places a burden of proof on the person asserting there is not god. If you assign that (INCORRECT) definition of atheist, you place the burden of proof on the atheist to demonstrate there is not god. This is not necessary and a no-win position. The correct position is "does not accept the positive there is a god assertion." Now the burden is on the person asserting the positive "there is a god" assertion.

Rather then type a page to explain this, PLEASE watch this video. All his points are worth watching but If you in a hurry, advance to 11:25. He will do a very good job of describing the burden of proof.

Now onto you use of Antitheism "Antitheism, also known pejoratively as "militant atheism" (despite having nothing to do with militancyWikipedia's W.svg) is the belief that theism and religion are harmful to society and people, and that even if theistic beliefs were true, they would be undesirable. Antitheism, which is often characterized as outspoken opposition to theism and religion, asserts that religious and especially theistic beliefs are harmful and should be discarded in favor of humanism, rationalism, science and other alternatives." quoted from rationalwiki.org

Time stamp 11:25

The way I see it, Religion and God are two different things that have nothing to do with one another. "Religion" is a socio/cultural financial concept. Humankind chose to anthropomorphize the Creative Energy and called it "God". Religious institutions Monetized it. In an Infinite Universe all things exist. Creation is ongoing and we don't know fuck about it. We don't even know the planet we live on, how arrogant to presume that that we know anything at all.

Actually we do know a great deal about the universe and how the world works. I find it beautiful and exhilarating.

@MsDemeanour Actually, we do not. We have extrapolated concepts from what we think are observable phenomena. Physics however, is a matter of star alignment perspective. Not the same here as there.

I don't know if we are born atheist, but we are born innocent. And from then on a whole lot of effort goes into molding us to fit our family or society. Language, gender identity, social class and morality. Education and religion are two institutions that get results in molding minds. Other animals are born instinctively knowing how to use their social structure in ways that are beneficial to the , but humans seem a bit deficient in that respect. Education could function as a way to improve society, but we evidently need a bit more covincing from the fear of eternal damnation in order to cooperate. Religion can also be used to calm fears, assure us we are loved, and convince us to be kind. If someone remains in their beliefs out of need for comfort it is understandable, if not necessary.

Hi.. tell me, do u think there's difference between this "instinct" animals are born with and our innate understanding of our ancestral cultures? Both were born out of the need for survival..

@Blackmind Do we have an Innate understanding of our ancestral culture? I have seen studies that indicate we may carry a reaction to ancestral trauma in our dna. But I am not aware of any awareness of ancestral culture at birth.

@ohnoudun I truly think so..It's like other living things who instinctively know what to do the moment they are born.. spiders, gazelles, sea turtles, etc. they are coded from their ancestral environment and environment dictates culture..

I feel like obviously atheism is the “default “ we are born with. Nobody becomes religious until they are taught their particular god’s dogma. But once you have been indoctrinated it is incredibly difficult to escape

Essie Level 6 Jan 8, 2019

John Lennon sang twice "it's easy" all you need is love" and IMAGINE, it's easy if you try, no hell below us above us only sky

...or until you witness something you have absolutely no words to describe and not the intellectual capacity to understand.

@Lilith
I am a person that is obviously not as intelligent as my brilliant older sibling.

I learned at an early age to accept my inability to understand some things immediately. I became accepting, if not comfortable, in my ignorance. A long list of questions accumulated. I was constantly curious.

Later, in Junior High, I took a lesson in Fallacies and Logic. It really helped to cut away confusion. Thereafter, I was not only asking for advice, but prepared to listen sceptically.

I have found answers to most of my questions. I am unwilling to "make up" answers for the rest.

Most acquaintances think me wise or intelligent. It took a lot of work. I still think my brother is a genius.

Phrases like "we believe" were dead giveaways of a scam when I was a kid (that is, using "we" to include me). How could someone else be telling me what "we believe". How did they know what I believed? But since everyone around me seemed to believe it, I figured it must make sense to someone who knew something somewhere. So it was in my head as probably true, I just didn't understand how. I went to Sunday school briefly, expecting to learn something useful the way I did in regular school. I mean, even in regular school the classes that weren't hard science were agreed upon language conventions, history, even physical health (no one claimed sitting in a corner and praying made you healthier). But there wasn't anything like that in Sunday school. The other kids took nothing seriously. NOTHING. They were there for donuts and hot chocolate, and that was it. I was there to learn these secrets of the universe. And it became clear very quickly that there were no secrets to the universe, and that "god's house" was just a second-hand, single-wide trailer behind the church. I can remember thinking that god should be able to afford something better to teach children the secrets of the universe, and sadly I seemlessly understood this was just what the people who went to this church could afford...probably over a long period of time at that. It was like being told you were going to the Emerald City to not only discover there was no Wizard, but that the city was a second-hand, single-wide mobile home, lol. I was only mildly disappointed. I cried when I found out Santa wasn't real two years prior...after a serious investigation into the presents in my parents' closet.

You need a hug. Or at least the child who cried when learning that Santa was a myth, needs a hug.

@Lilith My mom hugged me at the time. Dad told her to tell me--in front of me--that they were presents for my cousins. Which made me howl louder because we already gave my cousins their presents, and because dad thought I was so stupid that he could tell mom to tell me they were someone else's presents when I could HEAR him telling her (because she was hugging me). I really did like Santa, lol.

I think it's possible to be a believer and to lose that belief based upon evidence or experience. While we may choose to ignore facts, arguments, or evidence, I don't think we choose what we believe or don't. The things that ultimately convince us or inform or opinions often come unbidden, and can cause unwelcome changes to our lives. It would be much easier, for instance, for me to be a devoted Christian believer where I live. If I frequented any church in this little town, I'd probably be dating some nice, financially stable man within a few short months, and be embraced by a congregation of welcoming "friends." As desirable as that outcome would seem, I cannot make myself believe something I consider dishonest and absurd, nor could I respect a man who does.

Deb57 Level 8 Dec 29, 2018

@Byrdsfan Well, thank you! 🙂

Not necessarily!.
If we look at the 10 Commandments, as an example of religion, and discard the first four-since we are atheists, the remaining are guidelines towards a peaceful, non-hateful coexistence. This is not false but rather valid.
So, not ALL religion is false. Some of it might makes sense!

Yes, but following the other 6 commandments doesn't have to be couched in a religious system. It is simply being fair and just to those around you. Actually you could eliminate #5 (keeping the Sabbath) as well. It just matter unless you're Jewish or Christian.

@Meleia thank you for your comment. I agree that the remaining six commandments are not exclusive of religion. More like "let's not throw the baby with the bath water "" BTW, the 5th commandment is Honor Thy Father and Thy Mother whereas the 4th refers to the Sabbath.
Cheers,
Fernando

Good question! I think if we say that a Christian is a person that believes in Christianity at that particular time they are a Christian at that particular time. If they choose another competing world view, then they cease being the former and become the latter. And if they change again the same thing.

To me it circles back to the problem of labeling people. We’re much more accurate in my opinion when we ditch labels and describe actions, thoughts, beliefs, etc. So replace the Christian label with “person who believes in Christianity” and the original label-definition problem disappears and we gain a better understanding with what’s going on with that person.

Do you agree? Thoughts?

Acree Level 4 Jan 27, 2019

No you are wrong...we all have labels we were named at birth and too many baby boys were sexually mutilated painfully ....muslim teen girls by the millions are sexually mutilated worse than baby boys.. .believe in is a non-sequitur.....we walk in doors not needing beliefs ABOUT doors because doors exist and alleged gawds are just gibberish non-words used to label people....Atheism liberates religion harms...rational people choose freedom delusional people remain loyal to their perpetrators forcing faith upon them as children

@GreenAtheist, thanks for the reply. That’s a lot unpack so I’ll try be brief.

“We all have labels we were named at birth...” - I’m not saying labels don’t exist or that other people don’t use labels for other people, I’m saying labels are not useful when we want truly understand who someone is in the way the OP was asking about.

“Atheism liberates religion harms” - I strongly disagree, belief or non belief in religion is itself morally neutral. An easy counterpoint is someone choosing not believe in god for reasons outside healthy skepticism like, say, intense nationalistic pride. He can still carry out any number of horrific attricities upon people with all the zealous ferver of a religious person. Instead of pleasing his chosen god he kills, maims, terrorizes people protect his fanciful ideas about his motherland that must be purified of all non-believers. For reference, see Russian history.

Conversely, a person who believes in some particular faith can still maintain a solid moral compass, choosing any passages that align with his already compassionate nature where he truly seeks to help others.

My main point is people, for the most part, fit their interpretation of religion around their existing world view. Already think minorities should be protected? No problem, there are passages for that. Think they should be ostrociaed? Easy, there are passages for that too.

I think you’re better off making the argument that religion constrains openmindedness about seeking truth. In terms of morality I think people following religion pull out their shopping carts and take what they like from passages and leave on the shelves what they don’t. That’s the easiest explanation of why so many religious people can’t agree on so many key topics.

“Rational people choose freedom...” you’re begging your own question here, where your supposition and your conclusion are the same. And again, using labels like this ‘rational people’ is a wildly gross oversimplification of whole groups of people. Use of labels weakens arguments. A person can be rational in some areas like their work but irrational in personal relationships. So is that person rational or irrational? It’s a bad question because labels are bad argumentative constructs.

Christianity is real, just like all philosophies are real, whether or not they are based on reality.

So, in answer to your question, as @Triphid stated, I was born an atheist, then became religious by accepting indoctrination, and finally chose to be atheist later in life.

Ergo, you ALLOWED your mind to develop despite the indoctrination/s you had been subjected to.
Kudos to you then my friend.

No one chooses what to believe. But there are many hypocrites who act like they believe to reap some benefit.

Also, I believe If you accept the statement "there is no god, therefore religion (Christianity, etc) is false" as true, is backwards to the usual order of things. I think I would be strange for someone to arrive at the conclusion that there is no god before realizing religion is false. From what I hear, people find flaws in their religion, and then question the existence of gods.

that didn't happen to me. i didn't question what little religion my family had; i just independently came to the realization there was no god. i didn't even connect it in my mind with religion. of course i was never a christian; maybe it works that way for christians.

g

All infants are agnostic or atheist. “Choose” or “free will” are highly subjective words that are highly debated as to their nature or affect... meaning, “do we really ever choose anything or are we slaves to determinism?

Now for a non philosophical answer.... In general, if we were raised atheist then it’s mostly because of how we were brought up, if we were brought up otherwise but later become atheist, then we chose athiesm. (Either are only general ideas... I don’t think this is a 1 size fits all question or answer)

if we are tabla raza with the exception of our "innate instincts", then we have no knowledge of god or gods, religion or theism. therefore , atheist..

No one chooses. We are born without religion and are forced into it by our parents/environment. I was lucky enough to realize this when I was a child

Pc716 Level 2 Jan 8, 2019

Finally a real man like myself telling the truth about violent faiths. ..good job guy !

I think a case can be made that way. If you discover existentialist, highly self-aware introspection and objectivity at a young enough age, you will more easily find that you are philosophically aligned to be a freethinker, dispelling the myths as you hear them. Others have to go along long before they divorce themselves from ideology, and I wonder at what age they really learn to think for themselves. My theory is that the age at which you first practice honest, non-egotistical consciousness determines the amount of resistance you require before you truly think for yourself.

Well said.

This assumes like so much of hardcore Atheism that lack of proof is proof of lack. For me it is more lack of proof is irrelevant when it comes to the reasons and motivations of the faithful. They as a rule do not particularly care about proof of God. The ones who seem too like Creationist "Scientists" are simply using their position as a way to bolster the faithful and dupe the possible converts. I think people chose to become Atheist for reasons very similar to choosing any system of thought. Something about it appeals to them. Here is a better question. How many of you chose Atheism as a result of or in response to religion? Can Atheism exist without a God to not believe in or to mock/refute? Does one become Atheist to refute or defy their negative experience with religion? Is Atheism as a movement solely the realm of outcast and heretics? Not that I think that is a bad thing but were does it go from here? As for Christianity not being real? The results of Christianity as a force in the world is far greater then the results of Atheism. Belief in something by its very nature is not about the truth of it rather what it as a thought process helps you achieve. Children have imaginary friends to deal with trauma and what can be a very scary new world. People build mental homes to store and collect information and make it easier to retain and recall information, memories or partition traumas as a way of dealing with them. None of these are real in a physical sense but their results are very much real. That too me is the ultimate question; what is the result of the action, influence, organization etc. If someone constructs a God in their mind to explain the unexplainable or as a aid in moral action who are we to call that wrong? And as for the negative actions of Christianity we should certainly rail against them but not through mockery, violence or insults. Rather we should ask hard questions and try hard to educate the young and the doubters among the rabid faithful. And we should respect those who's faith is personal and does good works as long as they are based in reason and thought not dogma, bias, hatred etc.

Quarm Level 6 Jan 15, 2019

No, what it assumes is that proof is definitively impossible when dealing with opinions, be they opinions of religious nature or political in nature or whatever. Opinions are, by definition---'I'll say it again---not provable. They can be rendered more valid by supporting facts and valid reasoning, but never proven true or false. Facts, on the other hand, can be proven true or false. That is just the way it is; that is not just my opinion. To believe otherwise is to be blind to the nature of reasoning.

I think you choose what you believe in. It's chose to leave religion and not have be burdened by fairy tales and dogma. I have few regrets in live, but I wish I was an atheist at your age. Instead of an religious closed minded fool.

It's all belief...so it's all choice. You can believe in unicorns and whether they exist or not you believe they do. Just like every religious person in the world believes in their religion because they choose to. One chooses to be an atheist because they realize that there is no god.

lerlo Level 8 Dec 28, 2018

As young as i can remember maybe 4 or 5 i couldn't understand catholic church. At that age did i make a choice ?

i never was a christian. i was raised as a very secular jew. i wasn't an atheist. i believed in a vague way in a personal god, who functioned as a kind of witness to my lonely childhood. that was comforting. when at the age of 15 i realized there were no gods, it didn't even occur to me that this meant rejecting judaism, since the parts of judaism in which i was raised had nothing to do with god's wanting or requiring me to do this or that. being jewish meant being kind to people, helping the needy, using logic (look up "pilpul" ), stuff like that, which doesn't depend on the existence of a god. of course, judaism and jewishness are not the same thing, interconnected though they may be. judaism is a religion and jewishness is an ethnicity and culture. so i cannot say i either was an atheist all along or that i made a decision to become one, nor that i rejected religion per se (or at least jewish identity), though christianity has always seemed odd to me (and which as practiced these days seems actually evil in many respects).

g

You do not have conscience control over the conclusions your brain comes to. We do not choose to stop believing rather we discover we are no longer convinced. We do not choose whether evidence is convincing or not to us. You can choose how you act but you can't choose what information your brain accepts as true or insufficient

Everyone is born atheist. Religion is pushed on them. People then choose to be open minded and question or they do not.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:253883
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.