Agnostic.com

354 20

For atheists - what makes you believe no deity exists?

I became an agnostic because, from my perspective, there isn't enough evidence to prove whether there is a God or Higher Powers or not. I think atheism is based more on belief rather then empirical evidence and science, though much evidence would concur that there isn't a God.

Alright, shoot. 🙂

RYSR10 6 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

354 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have no more belief in a deity than in the Loch Ness monster or the tooth fairy or big foot, until sufficient evidence is shown I have no reason to believe or disbelieve, but after 6000 years or so one would expect some sort of evidence to exist, where as there is none (at least to my knowledge)

There may be more scientific "proof" of big foot, than of any other deities combined... Actually, what is the difference between a guy in an ape suit pretending to be big foot and convincing you of his photo/video proof and a pastor or bishop of a church? Both are trying to get you to believe in something that they know is false, to try and control you for their own gain. At least with big foot sightings, if it isn't a guy in a suit, it might be a bear with mange that needs veterinary help or a long-lost ape clan who hate humans because many of us are ass-faces.

I do not "believe." It is not one of my functions. There simply is no god. Anything that would claim to be a "god" - omnipotent and omniscient - would have to be under an eternity of scrutiny, question, and doubt; one absolute for another. Anything less than omni-whatever may very well be an alien or being from a contingent universe with better gear than me. "God" is essentially a word we came up with to describe beings with more power than us or power over us (namely, as a species). It's really just a semantics issue. There was another thread similar to this one. The answers are much the same. And the distinction between "believe" and "worship" is also noteworthy. If some guy came from the sky and said, "I'm a god." I would say, "Define yo terms, provide evidence, and then, what the fuck do you want?"

Duh?

A. There isn't enough evidence to suggest that there is a deity running things.

B. I refuse to believe in any deity that lets the kind of injustice and inequality that goes on in the world every day.

I get it, but that doesn’t prove that there isn't a god. Those who believe in god, say he gives us free will and doesn't interfere, so we are back at the start. Here’s what I think, for what it’s worth; I think god is a creation of man as a means of coping with a hard and cruel life. It makes life bearable knowing that a much better place awaits you in an afterlife. You will find god alive and well among the poor, uneducated, and most superstitious of peoples, but not so much among the better educated and well-off who see the lies, hypocrisy and hate on which religion thrives. Religion is like a night light for scaring off the bogey man under your bed, and it’s a promise of a better, happier afterlife once this horrible one comes to an end. If you do believe in god, but displease him you will be sent to burn in hell for ever and ever without end, but keep in mind, god loves you.

@billins There is proof that god doesn't exist as an all knowing, all powerful and all good single being. The evil in the world argument.

Anyway, who cares? Atheists don't believe in god. We don't need a reason to not believe in an illogical, unscientific concept that is totally unsupported by facts. I also don't believe in Santa Claus. Do you ask me why not?

Do you ask theists why they believe in god? There is no evidence for it.

I think this question ties back to the human construct of "god". "God" is a word that is used to control and give power to a supernatural entity. People interpret different emotional states, senses, even physical forces as "god". Its a voyeuristic construct than looms over conscious beings to create an insecurity that leads to behavioral intervention. It absolves people of their responsibility in their decisions and offers "forgiveness" when they harm other human beings. I was raised in a strict religious group, often referred to as a cult by southern baptists and other christians born many times over, in the state of Utah. I was immersed in religious ideals and pressed to the point of fear when bathing or changing clothing as a child... I held shame for being human as child, as I believe most children do in religious households. There are definitely forces that we as humans cannot explain, there are worlds beyond our understanding and we are a miniature dot on the scope of infinity... whether it be inter-species or inter-personal, an energy is there that we cannot explain... but I believe it is natural and scientific.. it makes no sense why it would be governed by some "godlike" entity. Throughout our human history and currently throughout the earth, the "god" we interpret to answer these questions is very different and is based on our geographical histories. Basic energy theory - high energy theory, string theory, quantum theory and gravity models, and the etcentera all help to define many of the phenomena that we as humans experince as far as physical phenomena... I firmly believe that in our lifetime we will better understand the human "soul" from a physical/energy perspective and there are forces that impress upon us for emotional result, as well as continue from our "soul" prior to and after life... "god" is the theory to help define these phenomena. I "think" it is something else - I also "believe" it is something else, therefore agreeing that I am an atheist - without god. It should not be assumed that an atheist lacks belief - many people try and remove this word from the atheists vocabulary. Atheists are human and no human actually knows anything beyond their experience... and everyone sees the world through a very different perspective and set of eyes. We are fortunate beings to be conscious and critical and to be able to understand the concept of belief... I can say I am a firm believer that there is no "god" as I think it is a product of human imagination and desire for control.

Thank you, you have tried but I am still far from convinced by your explanation, that is why I am an agnostic. Here is my take on why I can't believe in a god. I believe that we are intelligent animals ( well most of us) ones with a sense of self, a thinking animal with the largest brain pan and brain, given our size. The chimps and great apes come close, but we humanoids have the ability to anticipate and foresee the future and know that we will like all humans, die at some future date. It might be argued that chimps and the great apes may have the same ability, and perhaps they do. But here is the difference, we have gods, and as far as I, or the scientists know, at least for the time being, we don’t think chimps do. So it begs the question, why us? Is there a god or is this a construct we create? I think the answer is straightforward; it is within our nature to imagine a god or gods, because It is a coping mechanism. We know we will die, and because it is hard to accept the fact that we too will go back to nothingness as will our loved ones, so in order to keep our sanity and as a means of coping with this horror, we create a god and afterlife. In other words, there is no god without man, god didn’t create us, we created him/her. This makes life bearable, especially so in man’s early going, during those dark hard days, when life was short and brutal. As we advanced over time, become educated, understood thru science how the universe works, developed labour saving devices and found free time to learn and grown intellectually, many of us have evolved to the point where we see religion, with all its contradictions and hypocrisy for what it really is, an imagined construct to get us thru the night, a night light if you will, to scare off the devil or the boogey man under your bed. My contention is supported by the fact that religion especially prospers in those poor parts of the world or the country where education is lacking, superstitious runs rapid, and life is hard and brutal. For the poor and the oppressed god and an afterlife makes life bearable, just like it did in the dark past. For the better educated and more free minded, those not held back by religion teachings and traditions, they are equipped to study the genesis of beliefs and religions, to see their fault lines, their lack of logic and hypocrisy, and are better able to form their own beliefs about the nature of man and his need for god, or not.

amen to that

I can say that there is absolutely NO evidence that there is a God. Only based on superstition and a need to explain the unexplainable without doing the work to find out one way or the other. Science is hard and requires people with the most serious minds and intellect. Religion is easy. Just believe everything the Clergy tells you.

It is not my responsibility to prove the non existence of God. It is their responsibility to prove that he does exist. One of my requirements in doing this is that they can't use the Bible as proof.

First we should define some terms. Atheist does not necessarily believe in the non-existence of a deity or a god[s]. Most atheists are what lay people call agnostics. Let's try it like this for defining terms:
Hard Atheist- Believes no god or gods exist

Soft Atheist- Does not accept that the evidence for the existence of a god or gods is sufficient to draw a reasonable conclusion in favor of existence.

Agnostic- Does not accept that there is enough evidence for OR against the existence of a deity.

The subtle difference is that for most Agnostics, the question of the existence of deities is still on the table for further scrutiny, unlike a Soft Atheist who is typically apathetic. Compare those to a Hard Atheist who has somehow proven the existence of a negative.

These are vast generalizations and need to be taken with a huge pinch of salt and an entire peck of pickled peepers. But to answer your original question, I, and probably most atheists do not believe in the non-existence of a deity, but are unsatisfied with the evidence, or lack thereof.

Therefore, no belief is needed to make the statement that I would to most theists- "Prove it".

I consider myself a “hard atheist” - I believe that there is no god. But I don’t claim to have proven it. I also don’t believe there are unicorns. I can’t prove that there aren’t any unicorns anywhere. but given that there is no evidence that they actually DO exist, and it is abundantly clear that the idea was created from the imagination of people, I am as sure as anyone can reasonably be that neither unicorns nor gods are real, given that it is impossible to prove that something does not exist.

I became an atheist very slowly on my own with no role models, just because I kept encountering things about religion that didn't make sense. But years later I learned about a website that exhaustively delves into this question and demonstrates in many different ways why it stands to reason that there is no god (at least not in the way that he is characterized in mainstream Christianity). Go check it out: [whywontgodhealamputees.com]

fantasy

What makes people believe there is a god? An old book that everyone knows has been changed, adapted, voted on and rewritten by slick con men and hucksters? Brainwashed parents shoving the beliefs down their children's throats before they are able to reason? Fear of death? The unholy arrogance of small minds that want to believe they are special and above other animals in the grand scheme of things?

Lack of evidence. Show me concrete proof and I will change my opinion.

Im as comfortable with it as any other word description.

It is beyond apparent that the universe is indifferent (e.g. natural disasters, famines, genocides, etc). Furthermore, the notion of a personal god, that interacts with people, loves them as a parent does their children, has plans for their lives, "lives in their hearts" etc. is absolutely absurd. Evangelical christians are blinded by their own emotional keyboards which they themselves play in wanting to believe they are encountering the supernatural. The fact is it is nothing more than their mind, will, and emotions controlling the psychological marionette of what they delude themselves into believing is their spiritual life. By this they bend themselves in the direction of indoctrination and thus waste their lives on insanity...

There isn't any evidence that one exists. In the few cases where believers define the qualities of their god(s) that can be tested, their god(s) fail the test, eg. omnipotence and omniscience are mutually exclusive. You would also expect to see different things happen in a universe with an interacting deity than one without one, eg. believers spared in disasters, prayers answered, etc., so in this case, absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

Zero evidence. What makes you believe one or some might?

I believe in a universal force. It cannot be seen or touched, but it is felt by everyone and has governed the lives of every creature that has ever lived on the Earth.

And I can demonstrate it.

(Exercise). Find a small, lightweight not-fragile object. A pencil or a paperclip will do.

Hold it a few inches above a solid surface, say, the nearest tabletop.

Now let it go. (EndEx).

Gravity.

I know, I know, it's just a theory. But there are very few agnostics when it comes to Gravity, and no-one steps off high buildings for fun.

It affects everyone in just the same way, even astronauts in free fall in orbit - they are basically continuously falling towards the Earth, but missing it - or on other bodies such as the Moon and Mars (same maths, but less Mass).

If there really was a universal creator He / She / They / It would be every bit as eternal, pervasive and undeniable as Gravity.

Atheism would be as impossible as levitation, or at the very least every bit as difficult.

The major religions all started at a particular place at a particular time, and usually with a particular individual. Cults like that spring up all the time. Most of them wither and die off once their founder leaves the stage... but a few snowball, through historical accident and opportunity.

Those religions spread across the world is governed by war, conquest, migration and colonisation, trade and missionary activity. Physical, human stuff, not on the wings of angels or whatever.

Basically, Men create Gods in their own image. Religion fills a need in the Human psyche, but that says more about us as thinking mortal apes than it does about external reality.

Best answer, of course, there is simply no proof. How anyone could possible accept the Bible as proof is beyond comprehension to me, yet there are people who believe the Bible is indeed an infallible source of truth straight from the Creator. I don't know how or why we are here, but I acknowledge clearly there is (or was at sometime) something far greater than mankind that set the wheels in motion that has allowed Earth to provide life to humans and other species of. But whatever that source is -- it clearly is not the God of the Bible.

Makes me think of Scientology. A religion created by a Sci Fi Writer - to see if he could do it. And yet people believe God is real based on books that have been translated over and over again - and all written by man.

My position is not that no gods exist. My position is that the claim of Gods existence should be rejected until such time as there is evidemce to support the claim.

You're right, but I think you're in for a long wait.

Which is why I think atheists do not "not believe in god(s)." They KNOW there are no deities in the same way we know there are no fairies, great pumpkins or Santa Claus. All evidence to the contrary is enough sometimes to know the continued search for such evidence will be futile. I am an atheist because I KNOW there are no supernatural deities.

Lack of evidence.

Atheism covers broad ground, because (as others have pointed out) it's a lack of belief in a God or gods but that also covers those who actively disbelieve in a God or gods. I consider myself an agnostic atheist when it comes to general claims of God/gods, and a strong atheist when it comes to many specific claims. For instance, if you study the Canaanite and Sumerian religions you'll see their direct influence on ancient Hebrew religion and the transition from the regional pantheon to tribal monotheism, narrowing the field down to Yahweh (though reading through the Old Testament, if you have a good translation that doesn't errantly conflate names, you'll see references to El and Elohim, among other god names). So, with respect to Yahweh (and, by linear association, Jesus/Yeshua), I'm a strong atheist. It isn't limited to Yahweh/Allah, though, because virtually any hard claim about God/gods in terms of characteristics generally has logical inconsistencies (e.g., "God is all-loving, all-knowing, and all-powerful" is self-contradictory when trying to factor in evil in the world). Nebulous or ill-defined concepts of God or gods on the other hand,, e.g., "God is love" or "God is the universal energy that connects all living things," are just sort of meaningless tropes and platitudes and are nothing I consider worth thinking about one way or another.

I feel like use of language is really important for something like this because I don't so much believe there is no god, but rather don't believe one exists. I see myself as someone looking for what's true. After spending a lot of time involved with Christianity, I came across atheists online and they spoke a lot of sense to me. Over time I continued to hear the same arguments from religious people and it more or less solidified my stance, not in a sense where I'm unwilling to change my position given the evidence for the claim, but that I find it highly unlikely the evidence I seek for that claim will ever be presented. Nobody will know for sure, I just use Occam's razor to justify my stance.

The absolute lack of proof.

If there is a deity of any kind resposible for the creation of humans and the universe, its pretty obvious that he, she, it or they do not possess anything resembling a human set of values. Why would a diety who supposedly loves the human race, create a world in which parasites exist that eat children's eyeballs? That's only one of my beefs.

I believe that no God exists because of the Bible with all of its absurdities and condemnations to death of so many people : babies (1st born of Egypt); the Flood (all life on earth except a few) ; cities burned to the ground; LGBTQ persons; etc.

Agreed. This disqualifies Yahweh but what bout Thor? Zeus? and the thousands of other gods? I'll stick to no testable evidence to support the existence of any god as all religions must use "Faith" (belief without evidence) to assert their gods existence.

Think of all the things you would do if you were God. Would you stop child abuse? Would you cure cancer?
Then I realized that I used to believe in a deity who did none of these things.

That's how I feel about the subject as well. There are many things that I would put a stop to if I could... and considering a God SHOULD be powerful enough to but doesn't leads me to believe it doesn't exist.

@TheMiddleWay
If your child were being raped by let's say a priest, and you were there, and you were powerful enough to stop it. Would you stop it from happening, or just chalk it up as a learning experience for the child?

@TheMiddleWay: I'll give you the bike example. But what control do we have over catastrophic natural disasters like earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes or other devastating weather events? And what about famine and pestilence? "god" would have power over these that we do not. Why does it not exercise that power? It is either a sadist or non-existent.

Your statement reminds me of Stephen Fry in this interview:

@TheMiddleWay using your logic, your God should kill all of us immediately so we can be with him. This whole bunch of crap of "learning a lesson" is just a human construct. What god needs to teach lessons? Isn't he capable of creating something that doesn't need to be taught lessons? Isn't he capable of creating something that does not have flaws that need to be corrected? Is he so incapable that he made things that were flawed and needs to correct them en route to "a better place"? Then he's no god. All this stuff is just made up so the power elite of the religion can control people to give them money and to give them power. There are no gods.

@TheMiddleWay I try to use Occam's razor. Illiterate farmers and shepherds created religion to use against their own for power and control. No other explanation works better than that - no "god simulation" necessary.

God give to us authority for our world. Since men are separate from God, men has been doing everything like you are seen. Is not God guilty, is ours. What are you doing to change the bad situation that you see?

@rickarto First, prove your god exists, then we can talk about how silly he is.

@iamjc your statement is unclear.

Well maybe, but god certainly makes my sports team better...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:254
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.