Agnostic.com

354 20

For atheists - what makes you believe no deity exists?

I became an agnostic because, from my perspective, there isn't enough evidence to prove whether there is a God or Higher Powers or not. I think atheism is based more on belief rather then empirical evidence and science, though much evidence would concur that there isn't a God.

Alright, shoot. 🙂

RYSR10 6 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

354 comments (201 - 225)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I was 6 years old, I rode my bike to a neighborhood church to attend services by myself. I listened to the sermon one day and upon leaving, the pastor stood by the door, shaking hands. I told him he was wrong about Jesus. I told him I knew Jesus and that wasn't what Jesus said or even meant. They told me not to come back. But see, I have always known Jesus in a way no religion teaches. Jesus was a world mission master, not what they said. He was a teacher, not a god. I remembered being around him in a past life. What god would allow horrible things to happen? None that claim to be forgiving or loving. No. There is no God like some Morgan Freeman or white bearded man seeing what will happen and choosing the lessons both hard and soft. I believe in an energy beyond humans, a higher power if you will, but it is the collective consciousness of us all. Like a beach and each of us a grain of sand. How we think affects that energy. I know this deeply, not like a flimsy faith, but proven to me in different ways throughout my life - like the day I woke up KNOWING something terrible had happened. I scrambled around trying to hook up a tv to an antenna to find out what was causing the deep shift in the energy field around me. It was 9/11. I felt the pain, the fear, the sorrow, the grief and shock. I felt it plainly enough to run around my home trying to figure out how to get a signal on my tv - and I was living in Boise, Idaho. I think there are many who know there is no god. I think there are many that feel there is SOMETHING, but the religious god head makes zero sense. But we are hear to learn, to experience the physical plane existence and work on the vows of mastery, right? To claim our divine inheritance - not as a gift from some god but as our own divine nature - as the grain on the beach that is the higher power of us all. That's how I know it.

Science. There is no proof of a god, regardless of the millions of gods current, and pre-Judeo-Christian, etc. There IS some evidence of god centers in the brain which can cause that cause a feeling like god is around you. It's biological, and I would argue evolutionary, in that it kept us going and alive when all hope would otherwise have seemed lost.

Me. I am the same thing as their god. we are all our own creations and we build ourselves, not a man in the sky

EMC2 Level 8 Feb 21, 2018

O 'oh stop right there! atheism isn't based on belief its based on lack of hard evidence A-gnostic means without gnosis (which is knowledge) cut it any way you like they are the same thing. and you can believe whatever you like its a free country!

I call myself an atheist because I think that if there were a god, we would have some evidence to demonstrate it.

There is no evidence to believe one exists, so why would I hold that belief?

Lack of belief in a personal interacting god is atheism. Lack of belief.

Because the entire concept of a god is a human one. Until we learn the true science behind things we tend to assign a magical reasoning. I prefer to substitute a black box that says "tbd" instead of a mystical father figure up above deciding fates and fortunes.

I haven't come across a convincing argument or proof for the existence of any god past or present. The whole god thing, to me, is a non-sequitur, it's not about belief.

There are different versions of atheism.

For example, the "positive" - or sometimes referred to as "militant" - atheist might make the claim "there is no such thing as a good or deity", which WOULD imply some level of faith in such a conclusion considering that person hasn't explored the entirety of the universe to validate such a position, thus requiring at least a similar degree of faith as a theist in their conclusion that there IS a god/deity.

Weak - or "negative" - atheism is a much more broad, more agnostic-ish position, ranging from "I don't think there is a deity" to "given the alleged evidence for the god(s) or deities that are said to exist, I reject the premise that any of these are plausible" - it's more or less simply a rejection of the theist's own positive position.

TL;DR Summary: Being an atheist doesn't inherently require one to "believe" or "have faith" that no god exists - it can be as simple as "I reject your claim that x god exists", and since the burden of proof is on those that take a positive stance, the simple act of rejecting the claim made is perfectly valid without requiring any further response.

I grew up idolizing Spock, who famously said that there were always alternatives. Not wanting to be boxed into a binary decision, I first identified as a 'nullifidian.' Perhaps this is applicable to you?

If you have faith god is real to you personally I have no faith in god

Took the words right out of my mouth. Precisely the same reason I became an agnostic too.

bzm64 Level 3 Mar 10, 2018

Science.

Atheists don't believe in a god because there is no evidence of one... Same reason a lot of us don't believe in unicorns. Give me evidence and I'll consider it.

Atheists know that there are no gods. I do not know that. The universe is incredibly huge, we do even not know how big it is how could anyone say they know about god or gods? I absolutely do not believe in the gods of any human invented religions, all of them are absurdities created to exploit and control humans. But about the possible existence or non-existence of gods I do not know and I do not care one way or another.

I think I read it in our by-laws.

Tomas Level 7 Mar 15, 2018

There never was evidence one way or the other. Gods are imaginary.

You’re right that non-existence cannot be proven. Most atheists don’t say that we’re sure there isn’t a god. We choose not to accept the available evidence and don’t live our lives based on a religion. We also tend to not believe in Sasquatch or the tooth fairy, but we’re less well known for that.

What available evidence? There is none

I didn’t say it was good evidence ?

Lack of evidence certainly. You certainly can't prove a negative. Like in a Court of Law we either conclude Guilty based on Evidence, or Not guilty because of lack of evidence/ reasonable doubt. We don't have to prove innocence, nor should we.

If there really was a god or deity, why is the world in such fucked up mess?

we all know a guy in charge who is as much use as a chocolate teapot!

I dont' 'believe no deity exists that would be a complete and utter waste of my time which I cherish- I HAVE NO SKY GODS - I WANT NO SKY GODS - simple eh? you are the one who needs the proof, don't put it on me! And if you are as I suspect proseletysing - I will block you!

Wrong wording I do not 'believe' that no deity exists as there is no evidence for a belief of that kind. My unbelief is of no importance to me at all it is a non subject . You say 'there isnt enough evidence' There is NO evidence and - To make the point once and for all there is nothing to believe.there is a story - There are many many stories do you think Heidi exists or Tom Sawyer? I am totally uninterested in gods

One of the oldest trick for the voodoobeings, that's what I call them they are no better then any other voodoo cult! is their assumption one can prove a negative, Oh contraire my dubious friends its upon you the accuser to prove that their is such a so called god! Denial is a two sided blade sword baby! it swings both ways< but in this case it can only swing one way, its how we civilized people run our lives pray on that for a while , better yet try to improve your thinking and thus improve your life instead of waiting for the sky fairy to do it! Its all just thought, then action, you got to add action as Roy Rodgers quoted you can be in the right lane but if you aren't moving, you'll
get ran over!

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”

Epicurus

The lack of (good) evidence. The best arguments only prove that someting happened and now we have a universe. It says nothing about that thing's attributes or even if it's a being or a natural event. The clasical arguments say nothing about that thing sending its son to die and free us from our sins. on Calvary. So, until I have better evidence, I'll assume that we human beings are a product of natural events.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:254
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.